Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Autopilot Trial?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed, a test/grace period after delivery would help Tesla increase sale of AP.

However, AP has some quirks that should addressed as I can see misuse = disaster.

After a DIY PPF full install, I'm finally taking the 3 out onto the 401; aka construction truck alley for my daily commute to work. Overall impression is AP is a godsend. No more stress and worry IF a few best practices are followed:

1. Merging lane = bad place to sit especially during the morning rush. AP will drastically slow down at the last moment when being cut off. Cruising in the middle lane I found no issues. Cause would be the narrow Field of View of the distance sensor in the front.

2. Autosteer warning doesn't chime anymore? I was expecting a chime; but instead I noted a flashy blue interface on the speedo. I can see some issues here should it disengage and the car goes into another lane. I suppose this is when the steering wheel will vibrate because of lane departure (more testing required).

3. Far left lane is pretty good place to be (setting 135km/h) as most drivers will tend to sit at 120km/h here. Should they move over, AP speeds past and resumes 120km/h until the next left lane sitter is met.

** Relating to point 2. Knowing which mode you're using is the key! Adaptive cruise control alone that requires 100% steering is pretty awesome feature already except you can slam into the barriers/other lanes. So - if the user is unaware Autosteer has disengaged, this could be dangerous. I can see myself using adaptive cruise control on 95% of the time as it'll technically never crash the car as long as I am driving/steering. This allows for full input while still being relaxed and not worrying about a head on collision.

However, the 5% chance that I am distracted by something could pretty much total the car because it's just so damn fast! Feels way faster than 0-60 in 5 seconds especially after a left/right turn when the car is already in motion.

Anyone have any other tips when using EAP?

Great post @5_+JqckQttqck

For anyone who regularly commutes on GTHA highways, EAP is probably the best investment you can make for your sanity and health. My commute from Hamilton to Pearson every day is ow bearable...a few minutes of driving to get into the perfect lane, and then let AP do the heavy lifting (stop-go-stop-go-stop-go) while I get to enjoy my podcast and coffee. I arrive at my office or back home much more refreshed.

With AP engaged I find i'm much more aware of traffic conditions and other drivers,instead of going into zombie driver mode.

Some of my key points for using AP:

1. Acknowledge the systems limitations. For instance - with AP engaged and the car travelling at 120km/h with some stretch of road in front of you but then if you see all traffic lanes coming up to an immediate stop. I will use the right scroll wheel to reduce the speed in order to have the system slow you down in a reasonable manner and to avoid a lurching slowdown once AP reacts to the car in front of you

2. Trying to find the right distance between you and the car in front of you. I currently use 2 car lengths. It seems to provide the best combination of response time (avoiding lurching stops) and not leaving a massive gap inviting cars to continually cut in front of you during rush hour traffic. If the highway is free flowing I will increase the car length to 3 cars.

3. I find resting my arm on the drivers door arm handle and my hand on the steering wheel at the 7 o'clock position, resting my hand against the spoke creates enough of a force which minimize the nuisance alarms.