Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Autopilot until standard cruise control interface completed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Checked out a friend's new Model 3 over the weekend, and to our surprise, it came equipped with functioning EAP even though he didn't order it on his car. We asked Tesla about this, and it turns out that all Model 3s, regardless if you paid for the option or not, come equipped with Autopilot. The features will eventually be removed via OTA software update once Tesla finishes the software for the standard non-adaptive cruise control. That said, a free trial sure is also a nice way of getting users hooked... :cool:

Checked out a friend's new Model 3 over the weekend, and to our surprise, it came equipped with functioning EAP even though he didn't order it on his car. We asked Tesla about this, and it turns out that all Model 3s, regardless if you paid for the option or not, come equipped with Autopilot. The features will eventually be removed via OTA software update once Tesla finishes the software for the standard non-adaptive cruise control. That said, a free trial sure is also a nice way of getting users hooked... :cool:

Interesting because we have seen video of a non-AP car with normal cruise control working already...

I didn't purchase EAP and I do not have autopilot. I have standard cruise control (not ACC)...you simply adjust the speed with the display.
At least it has cruise when not equipped with Autopilot! I was getting concerned after not seeing basic cruise mentioned in the manual, though I probably shouldn't have been given the target market of the car. :p

So pushing the gear selector to Autopilot simply activates cruise, and you adjust the speed on the display? Or is it activated and adjusted from the display, and the Autopilot "gear" does nothing?

At least it has cruise when not equipped with Autopilot! I was getting concerned after not seeing basic cruise mentioned in the manual, though I probably shouldn't have been given the target market of the car. :p

So pushing the gear selector to Autopilot simply activates cruise, and you adjust the speed on the display? Or is it activated and adjusted from the display, and the Autopilot "gear" does nothing?

You activate it by shifting to the autopilot gear and then adjust the speed from the display.

Hit the gear selector up and cruise engages. Adjust the speed on the display. Old fashioned cruise control. As a model S owner with autopilot on that car I have to be careful to remember that this is not traffic aware cruise control. There is no way to adjust the distance to the followed vehicle it would just plow right into it. Or maybe auto emergency braking would save me, haven't tried. I plan to add autopilot to my model 3 if/when it ever gets better than my hardware v1 model S autopilot.

I agree. I would consider purchasing it as a separate option. My commute is short enough/lacking in freeway driving that I would hardly use AutoPilot but I could use ACC.

But TACC is part of AutoPilot. ;) Are you trying to say that you have no use for AutoSteer?

If you could, how would you price the parts of EAP? Say for example:
  • TACC: $1,500
  • AutoSteer+: $1,500
  • Self-parking: $1,000
  • Smart Summon: $1,000

But TACC is part of AutoPilot. ;) Are you trying to say that you have no use for AutoSteer?

TACC is really all I would use. My daily commute is 8 miles each way, and less than one of those is on the free way. Even still, with my drive to work so short I don't know that I would pay extra for it but I would consider it if it were a standalone. So at $5000 for the package it's crossed off my list, but at $1000-$1500 I would give it some thought.

As for the parking/summon. Those are really cool but to me more "impress your friends" cool rather than improve my safety cool.

I will be getting EAP because I commute daily in super fun traffic. However, I'd be thrilled if I could save 2k by not having self parking or summon.

I don't have a tight garage, so summon is useful for:???
With self park's restrictions on parking space length/width, I doubt I'd ever be able to use that in Seattle either.

Once self park means "I'll drop you off and go find a spot somewhere nowhere nearby and come get you when you want me" I'll see a use, but that'll be a part of FSD.

I will be getting EAP because I commute daily in super fun traffic. However, I'd be thrilled if I could save 2k by not having self parking or summon.

I don't have a tight garage, so summon is useful for:???
With self park's restrictions on parking space length/width, I doubt I'd ever be able to use that in Seattle either.

Once self park means "I'll drop you off and go find a spot somewhere nowhere nearby and come get you when you want me" I'll see a use, but that'll be a part of FSD.

I think what burns for me is the other additional features of auto pilot I really don't need. I liked the cost when it was $2500 on the model S and you didn't get summon, auto lane change, freeway to freeway etc... If I could pay $2500 for TACC and auto steer I would be a happy camper. I don't really need the rest.

You activate it by shifting to the autopilot gear and then adjust the speed from the display.

@K-MTG - Just curious, what symbol is on the lever on a vehicle ordered without EAP? I thought I saw somewhere that there were different symbols on cars with just CC vs those with EAP. I think that was a while ago, though. But it would make sense if they were producing all of them with same hardware (thus same symbol) and just enable features later as needed for simplicity of production.

Self-parking MIGHT be useful, if it can back into a parking spot while avoiding plants, mailboxes, other parked cars, cars on the road passing my house, etc. The only examples I've seen have the car parking head in (which doesn't cut it at superchargers) within a parking garage/lot/home garage. We have a short, relatively narrow driveway off of a rather busy street.

All we really want is TACC.

@K-MTG - Just curious, what symbol is on the lever on a vehicle ordered without EAP? I thought I saw somewhere that there were different symbols on cars with just CC vs those with EAP. I think that was a while ago, though. But it would make sense if they were producing all of them with same hardware (thus same symbol) and just enable features later as needed for simplicity of production.

Still have the same hardware...have the autopilot logo

I don't think a TACC-only option could be priced at a small fraction of EAP. That wouldn't be enough to pay for the AP hardware. I think Tesla had to include enough value in that first option step (EAP) so that it paid for the hardware and software. And the hardware is more expensive for AP2 than the old $2500 AP1. So would TACC-only look appealing if it cost $3500?

That may also contribute to the FSD price being less than EAP. EAP pays for the hardware and software, FSD just pays for additional software. Of course FSD currently being a pig in a poke might have something to do with its seemingly low price as well.