Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Autopilot until standard cruise control interface completed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Self-parking MIGHT be useful, if it can back into a parking spot while avoiding plants, mailboxes, other parked cars, cars on the road passing my house, etc. The only examples I've seen have the car parking head in (which doesn't cut it at superchargers) within a parking garage/lot/home garage. We have a short, relatively narrow driveway off of a rather busy street.

All we really want is TACC.

Sounds like you need new house in better location than a new car
Actually, self parking only backs into spaces. For the Model S/X and I assume the Model 3, there's an option if you double tap the park button to park forward or reverse after exit, but that actually leverages summon.

Probably wouldn't be much use in a driveway anyway, since it relies on adjacent vehicles to detect an empty parking space.

• Helpful
Reactions: juanmedina
curious to know if anyone else got "free" EAP "trial".

Also, is autopark part of the standard autopilot or is it only available for enhanced?
There is only enhanced. EAP = Enhanced AutoPilot = Autopilot 2.0 on all cars that Tesla sells. Autopilot (not Enhanced) is the older solution that is no longer sold.

On the 3, (and S, and X) EAP is a combination of Traffic Aware Cruise Control (TACC) and Autosteer. Not paying for EAP gets you nothing but standard cruise control. Not Traffic Aware Cruise, not Autosteer, not summon (coming soon to the 3), not autopark, nothing. It *will* have Auto Emergency Braking (AEB) but if you use that feature, you're still gonna have a bad day.

See Tesla's website for more info. (Scroll down to Autopilot.)

Gambling on a software misconfiguration in your favor is a fool's errand IMO.

There is only enhanced. EAP = Enhanced AutoPilot = Autopilot 2.0 on all cars that Tesla sells. Autopilot (not Enhanced) is the older solution that is no longer sold.

On the 3, (and S, and X) EAP is a combination of Traffic Aware Cruise Control (TACC) and Autosteer. Not paying for EAP gets you nothing but standard cruise control. Not Traffic Aware Cruise, not Autosteer, not summon (coming soon to the 3), not autopark, nothing. It *will* have Auto Emergency Braking (AEB) but if you use that feature, you're still gonna have a bad day.

See Tesla's website for more info. (Scroll down to Autopilot.)

Gambling on a software misconfiguration in your favor is a fool's errand IMO.
Actually, I believe Tesla now markets the base safety features as Standard Autopilot, not to be confused with the advanced features which are part of Enhanced Autopilot.

Standard Autopilot includes foward/side collision warning, lane departure warning and automatic emergency braking. EAP adds traffic aware cruise control, auto steer, auto park and summon.

We did not configure with EAP and as expected, it was not enabled at delivery even as a trial.

My 3 didn't come with EAP. I called the service center asking to have it activated for the free trial. They had me pull over and do 2 different power resets, still no EAP. They emailed later saying I didn't order it. Yes, I know, but turn it on anyway. Call it a first day reservation gift.

They emailed later saying I didn't order it. Yes, I know, but turn it on anyway. Call it a first day reservation gift.
Don’t you and everyone wish. There was like 130k reservation pre reveal! First day? Prob like 200k reservations. X $5000 you think they’ll do that?

I would have expected like 1000kw of free supercharging for first day reservation. But didn’t even get that.

……
I would have expected like 1000kw of free supercharging for first day reservation. But didn’t even get that.

1,000kw electricity is worth $100 a year. Not much but Telsa probably wants to avoid the excitement and crowd at Superchargers. Passing by a supercharger on a Target lot three times a week, never seen a model 3 plugged in there. Although they are everywhere on the streets.

Mine got the AP free trial as well. It got turned off after driving for two week.

Reactions: mknoebel
1,000kw electricity is worth $100 a year. Not much but Telsa probably wants to avoid the excitement and crowd at Superchargers. Passing by a supercharger on a Target lot three times a week, never seen a model 3 plugged in there. Although they are everywhere on the streets.

Mine got the AP free trial as well. It got turned off after driving for two week.

Ya. But if anything for all those day one reservation holders it’s easier to give out $100 than $5000

So from what I gather, it's a crapshoot whether or not EAP comes on the car if you didn't order it. Is there truly a "free" trial? Im interested in then upgrade but being Canadian and paying 6600 plus 15 percent taxes adds another 7590 on the car! That is a lot of money to spend on a relative unknown for me. For those that have requested a trial, have you been successful?

So from what I gather, it's a crapshoot whether or not EAP comes on the car if you didn't order it. Is there truly a "free" trial? Im interested in then upgrade but being Canadian and paying 6600 plus 15 percent taxes adds another 7590 on the car! That is a lot of money to spend on a relative unknown for me. For those that have requested a trial, have you been successful?

Currently there is no "free trial" EAP program for the Model 3, and the title of this thread is actually incorrect, there is no "temporary EAP until regular AP is completed".

Some owners have actually received EAP erroneously since they did not order it. It is speculated that when other owners placed their configurations with EAP and then canceled it, this order was then mistakenly matched up with a non-EAP reservation and delivered that way. Tesla has discovered these errors and then notified the owners within a few weeks of the error that they can either pay for the upgrade at the pre-delivery price, or have the EAP deleted from their vehicle.