Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free CHAdeMO Adapter borrowing is now available! for N.A.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With this busy Holiday travel season, I wanted to update: I was booked up though the end of the year and 2 weeks into next year with reserved adapters, however, I have had 2 come back early, and someone else change travel plans, so that means I have 2 adapters that are not reserved now. If anyone needs them, please contact me!!!
I have a total of 7 adapters now, so lets put them to good use!

I'm kind of curious as to where people are actually able to utilize CHAdeMOs for trips where superchargers are unavailable. Basically, with the exception of I-81 in VA (which will be supercharger enabled in a couple of months it looks like), I haven't found a real use for the adapter myself. Everywhere I go either has superchargers, or no chargers.

St. Joseph, MO is a big spot where travelers will use the adapter. Coming from I-80 in Nebraska to Kansas City or even Omaha in winter requires a stop just to make it. We use our adapter about every other month and currently it's free. The Kansas City Power company installed a ton of these across the metro and they A Re all free during their "Beta" testing time which I'm not sure how long that lasts. They are all Chargepoint with CCS connections as well.

I-29 Superchargers haven't been planned out yet so North-South travel is very difficult.

Hello everyone. I now have a supply of CHAdeMO Adapters ready and available to loan out for free...
P.S. Any way this can get stickied? I want to help as many people that might need a adapter as I can! Lets put these to good use!

Brilliant! Generous! Admirable!
Hello Islandbayy!

WOW, an incredible initiative! I donated 3 CHAdeMO adaptors to the Club Tesla Quebec (www.clubteslaquebec.ca). One is located in Montreal, one in Trois-Rivieres and one in Quebec City. Like you, it's free for the Club's member and we request a deposit to make sure we get it back.

More details about the offer here (in french):
3 ADAPTATEURS CHADEMO POUR LE CLUB TESLA QUEBEC
THis is wonderful too, especially in Quebec, visitors do need CHAdeMO when venturing very far. Luckily I had my own. Anybody driving in Quebec does need Electric Circuit, one of the all-time-great public efforts, in my opinion.

Cool idea. Honestly, I think it may be a short lived need overall, though, with the superchargers coming online basically everywhere.

I have a CHAdeMO adapter, but it's usefulness for me is coming to an end with the superchargers popping up on I-81 in VA finally, along with Asheville, NC nearly complete. Pretty much everywhere else I need to go has superchargers handy already. The reliability track record with CHAdeMO stations doesn't make me want to venture too far beyond the supercharger network. I did I-81 through VA starting at Hagertown, MD and used three CHAdeMO stations along the way to make it back down to my place in NC. One of them almost didn't work and would have had me stuck hunting down one of the backup J1772 I had on my list, or worse. Finally got it going after two phone calls and some fiddling... but it was not a stress-free experience like using the superchargers.

One other route I'd like to use that is superchargerless is I-77 through VA/WV. Have to detour to the east or west currently. However, there aren't any CHAdeMOs on that route either.

I'm kind of curious as to where people are actually able to utilize CHAdeMOs for trips where superchargers are unavailable. Basically, with the exception of I-81 in VA (which will be supercharger enabled in a couple of months it looks like), I haven't found a real use for the adapter myself. Everywhere I go either has superchargers, or no chargers.
I used to use my CHAdeMO or Destination Chargers when traveling in your are but no longer need Greenville (the city has CHAdeMO/Combo CCS that always work) nor Asheville. Still, I use mine at odd Nissan dealers (calling ahead), and other locations. I Blink on Blink since nothing they have has ever worked for me. As for other places, Quebec has widespread well-functioning CHAdeMO, as does much of Canada. The midwest US has also been a place for me, where many Nissan dealers seem to like having a Tesla around. I try to help them sell Leaf when I stop at one of them.

For I-77 I fear it may be a long wait. The only thing I recall using in that area is a J1772 at the Nissan dealer in Beckley and a campground with 14-50. At Mash Fork. That route is energy intensive too, but doable if you're not really allergic to slow options. Oh, for more Superchargers!

Thanks for everyone! Happy to loan them out. I will make a update though. I had to raise the refundable deposit to $500. People are just not returning them (I consider 3+ month loan being turned into a permanent loan or in other words, borrower has just purchased it).
It is a bit of a hassle when one is not returned, either I can order and pick up the replacement, which wastes time, or I can order and have one shipped to me, which wastes money on shipping. So unfortunately, in effort to get them returned (in a reasonable time, and I don't count people that i have prior arrangements for a longer term loan in to the above) Sorry.

CHEERS!

Reactions: SageBrush
You would think that they would want to just buy a new one themselves to get a warranty from Tesla, but maybe that is just too much of a hassle. (And do they really fail very often?)

I could definitely see someone going from "I just want to borrow this thing for this one trip" to "Whoa crap this is so useful!" pretty quickly. Factor in the cost of shipping the adapter back to islandbayy and it could be worth it to just keep the one you have.

For me the trip that having the adapter saved a lot of time I don't take very often. I'm hopeful there will be more Superchargers in the next year or 2 and I won't need to borrow an adapter again or buy one.

I have 1 adapter back in stock if anyone needs to Borrow for the Holiday week or for spring road trips! Let me know!

Also if anyone would like to kick in a few $, I'm starting a little kitty to purchase more adapters to loan out. I've gotten more to replace the ones that weren't returned, unfortunately they were before I raised the deposit to $500, so I went a bit backwards with the purchases after Tax, but I do have 4 adapters out to loan. Despite the growing supercharger network, destination CHAdeMO stations are still quite popular.

If anyone wants to kick in $1-$10, I'll keep adding more to the Loaner Pool. It's kind of cool, the one that still has a intact original box, I've left all the shipping labels on it, this thing has really traveled!

Some borrowed, and then never returned it. I keep a refundable deposit for each adapter, but I had to raise it up. I had originally forgotten about Sales Tax & Credit Card processing/PayPal fees, left it a bit short to replace adapters. Now the deposit is $500, so I can cover the cost if not returned.

Reactions: ModelX
The only sustainable model for this endeavor is to charge some money.

The model that we use is $35 per week, with $500 deposit. Obviously, there's not much profit motive there, and it's intended as a service to the Tesla community.

The $35 weekly cost is deducted from the deposit until the deposit is depleted... then, you own it.

It works well for both parties in the tranction. We find that most of these are Rush / overnight type orders. Thankfully, we ship Fedex / UPS daily.

Reactions: wcfinvader