Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free "Charging for One Year" End Date???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cars delivered in the last two weeks of December 2020 were given a year of free supercharging. Does anyone know (I am not interested in speculation) when the free year of supercharging ends?

Today being Jan 1, 2021, I checked the nearest supercharger icon info, and it still has no price listed, except the overtime fee. So I went down to there and topped off, at $0.00 cost. My Tesla.com account/Dashboard/Charging confirms the visit as “Free Supercharging”.

Cool, but how long is this free supercharging going to last?

Thanks!
SW

Either on my app, or in my car (don't remember), "Free Supercharging until Dec. 27, 2020" was clearly posted, which was my purchase date. I haven't had to Supercharge after the expiration date, but it's possible that Tesla's accounting takes a few days to catch up: frantic end-of-year sales/deliveries, holiday, etc.

Upvote 0
Mine expired 12/27/2021. Just Supercharged 1/2/2022. My account shows "free."

I still contend that Tesla accounting just...hasn't...caught...up...yet...
Mine is still charging free as well.

I have many guesses, but my best SWAG is it will continued till around 1/15/22.

We picked up our MY on 2/13/20 and were told, much to our pleasant surprise, that we would get a year of free supercharging, an incentive at the year end push to deliver as many cars as possible. But the Free part didn't start right away. Our sales advisor told us in late January the it was finally free. Looking as some posts from that month, the first Free Supercharging was on or about 1/14. So, to avoid having falsely advertised a "free year", Tesla would need to continue the perk till that date this year. Like I said, this is my best guess. I posted originally hoping someone had some official word on the subject.

Tesla and folks on TMC say that on their in-car Navigation map, touching a SuperCharger pin brings up an info box which includes the price. My such info boxes show the overtime penalty but not the charging price. If Tesla has their act together (dubious) they will change the Nav Map SC pin info display at the same time they end the freebie. In the mean time, I'll continue to charge free till it stops being free.

If I wan't such a cheapskate, I wouldn't care about this. I don't blame Tesla for misleading us about the expiration date because that would just encourage us to take advantage of the full offer they made which would cost them a few bucks. So perhaps they are being fair, but just not mentioning that fact.

SW

Reactions: Pianewman
Upvote 0
My account is only showing 6 months from purchase until expiration.
This question relates to the "one year of free supercharging" given to people who took delivery between 12/12/20 and 12/31/20. Tesla was doing a year-end push and wanted to book every sale they could. It was a very sweet surprise perk for us when we picked up ours on 12/13.

What expires in six months, I believe, is "I,000 Miles" of free supercharging due to a referral. Perhaps that is what you are seeing.

SW

Upvote 0
Don’t ask. Don’t tell.
Yeah, I have hesitated to call the sales people to ask about this.

But your post sounds a bit paranoid: Tesla seems to ignore most everything anyone says to them, so reading random TMC posts would not seem to be in their work-flow.

Or to put a ironic spin on it, while Tesla claims to be advancing "artificial intelligence", sometimes what they implement is better described as "artificial stupidity". ;-)

But if they really just forgot to turn off the free-ride, I won't complain!

SW

Upvote 0
This question relates to the "one year of free supercharging" given to people who took delivery between 12/12/20 and 12/31/20. Tesla was doing a year-end push and wanted to book every sale they could. It was a very sweet surprise perk for us when we picked up ours on 12/13.

What expires in six months, I believe, is "I,000 Miles" of free supercharging due to a referral. Perhaps that is what you are seeing.

SW
Yes, you are 100% correct. I got my 1000 miles as a referral. Sorry, for misunderstanding.

Upvote 0
As of Jan 24 I still have free supercharging. My question, what software version do you currently have in the M3? I have not updated my software yet since I was given notice of my free supercharging would be terminated in Sep of last year. Has someone updated to the latest software and still received the free supercharging after expiration date ??

Upvote 0
Just checked today and my free supercharging is gone now. Thanks for the 27k miles of free juice, Tesla!
20220222_135118.jpg

Upvote 0