Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free charging on a used 2018 model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just purchased a used 18 model 3 performance from dealer. When I charge, it shows amount charged but I haven’t set up a Tesla account yet. I was under the impression that free supercharging didn’t transfer to another owner on model 3’s? Also, I thought those with free supercharging would see $0.00 the whole time they were charging. Any idea what’s going on?

Just purchased a used 18 model 3 performance from dealer. When I charge, it shows amount charged but I haven’t set up a Tesla account yet. I was under the impression that free supercharging didn’t transfer to another owner on model 3’s? Also, I thought those with free supercharging would see $0.00 the whole time they were charging. Any idea what’s going on?
Sometimes paper works take time.

It will be sorted out eventually.

There are a few model 3s with free supercharging (not many, but there are some 2018 model3 performance vehicles delivered before end of 3rd quarter of 2018 that might have that).

No idea if it might or might not transfer (especially if you bought it from a dealer). My guess is that you just charged and it was billed to your third party dealers account (which is the simplest answer). I wouldnt expect it to continue, but if it does, and charging at a supercharger constantly is something you want to do, go for it.

Was the dealer in LA?

I once had a 2018 RWD LR Model 3 which ended up with free unlimited supercharging by accident and apparently a few other people did too. It was meant to be temporarily given during fire season late that year but Tesla forgot to remove it from some of us.

The prices showed up just like you mentioned, it just simply never charged my card. It wasn’t like the performance supercharging sessions. It could be that?

Was the dealer in LA?

I once had a 2018 RWD LR Model 3 which ended up with free unlimited supercharging by accident and apparently a few other people did too. It was meant to be temporarily given during fire season late that year but Tesla forgot to remove it from some of us.

The prices showed up just like you mentioned, it just simply never charged my card. It wasn’t like the performance supercharging sessions. It could be that?
It was from an online dealer in Texas. I’ve afraid to set up a Tesla account and add car to it in fear of losing it. It’s currently saving me about $90 a week in charging.

Free Supercharging does not transfer to the new owner and if you have it, it will display $0.00 for the last Supercharging session. For a while it said "no recent Supercharging" but now it just says $0.00. Performance vehicles ordered up until September 16th 2018 or so (with a referral code!) had it (though deliveries up until November 2018 or so could also have it...and there's some complexity about when exactly that incentive was offered, I'd have to review to get it right, but it doesn't matter).

If you don't have an account you don't have a working phone key either I assume?

Free Supercharging does not transfer to the new owner and if you have it, it will display $0.00 for the last Supercharging session. For a while it said "no recent Supercharging" but now it just says $0.00. Performance vehicles ordered up until September 16th 2018 or so (with a referral code!) had it (though deliveries up until November 2018 or so could also have it...and there's some complexity about when exactly that incentive was offered, I'd have to review to get it right, but it doesn't matter).

If you don't have an account you don't have a working phone key either I assume?
No phone key for fear of losing free supercharging.