Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free charging points?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its a shame that Engie/WYA have ended the free vends, but all good things come to end (never received the email telling me of the price they set!!!). Having a Leased vehicle I was not overly concerned about battery conservation, so used to use them on a weekly basis to charge my car. I will keep using them until I have used up the £20 sat in my account then revert to the Aldi down the road until EO works out how to turn their payment system on (4 x EO 3 phase AC chargers), Luckily my work have 4 x CYC 7Kw posts that are only 0.14p/KWh (max 4hr stay) so can use them when at work to top up.

Its a shame that Engie/WYA have ended the free vends, but all good things come to end (never received the email telling me of the price they set!!!). Having a Leased vehicle I was not overly concerned about battery conservation, so used to use them on a weekly basis to charge my car. I will keep using them until I have used up the £20 sat in my account then revert to the Aldi down the road until EO works out how to turn their payment system on (4 x EO 3 phase AC chargers), Luckily my work have 4 x CYC 7Kw posts that are only 0.14p/KWh (max 4hr stay) so can use them when at work to top up.
Do you not have a charging facility at home?

Do you know a membership to use the bp Pulse free chargers? They show as free in the app but I am unsure if membership is required. If membership is required for free, can you pay for them instead?
melduk, you need to be a member and put some credit on the account (£5 is enough), then you can plug in to free BP Pulse chargers and use the app to start the charge. I found one locally at a shopping Center thats 11kw and free, you just have to pay for parking at this place which after 5pm is only £1.50 👍🏻😃

[...] I believe most of Scotland the CYC machines are free? [...]
CYC lost the contract to operate ChargePlace Scotland, so it's now a completely separate network from CYC. On the plus side, ChargePlace Scotland now only charges a one-off £10 fee for their RFID card.

EDIT: Oops, sorry, I didn't realise I was replying to a year-old comment. Sorry 🙁

melduk, you need to be a member and put some credit on the account (£5 is enough), then you can plug in to free BP Pulse chargers and use the app to start the charge. I found one locally at a shopping Center thats 11kw and free, you just have to pay for parking at this place which after 5pm is only £1.50 👍🏻😃
Awesome thanks. I just used one 😀

I thought you had to join the monthly membership plan but as you mentioned appears not.

Nothing near me (South Coast) apart from a set of 4xPodPoints in the local Tesco, which are always occupied. And at only 7Kw, you barely get enough charge to pay for your trip there and back in the time you spend shopping.

I am now over 4000 miles and have not spent a penny on charging, lucky I’m in an area in Scotland that still has free charging

I can work from the car while doing and usually go from about 20% - 85% in an hour and 20 mins ish

Been great
Certainly living up to the Scottish stereotype :D

I'm half Scottish so I've been known to hang about somewhere for 2+ hours when I could just as easily drive home and charge there, just for like £2 of free electricity.

Well worth signing up for the free membership anyway if you think you will ever use BP Pulse chargers as it also gives you a discount on the non-free chargers. (Obviously the paid membership gives you a bigger discount)

Reactions: melduk
Costco Watford have opened a huge petrol station with loads of free charging points. I called them and they said there is no maximum stay. Apparently the lady told me people charge their car early in the morning and leave it and then pickup their cars in the early evening. Just a thought if anyone lives nearby

Certainly living up to the Scottish stereotype :D

I'm half Scottish so I've been known to hang about somewhere for 2+ hours when I could just as easily drive home and charge there, just for like £2 of free electricity.
I don’t have a home charger yet but will when I feel the need! I’m full Scottish but my business are English based and believe me I have never met so many tight asses than I have there 🤐

• Funny
Reactions: Adopado
Costco Watford have opened a huge petrol station with loads of free charging points. I called them and they said there is no maximum stay. Apparently the lady told me people charge their car early in the morning and leave it and then pickup their cars in the early evening. Just a thought if anyone lives nearby
I was there yesterday Bob. Park on the charging bays nr to the Tyre Bay. Ask and One of the tyre guys will come and activate it for you. When you are done just go back to the tyre bays and ask one of the guys to deactivate so you can get your charging lead unlock . ALL FREE. Happy days. Charges at about 28 miles/hr