Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Charging to Self-Driving Owners?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

K-MTG

Sunshade Captain of TMC
Oct 24, 2015
Irvine, CA
Since Elon mentioned the self-driving Tesla's will have the ability to be summoned anywhere via the mobile app including superchargers (where it will auto-connect). Will some owners take over advantage of this luxury and have their cars go to the nearest supercharger at night and comeback with a nearly fully charged car, free of charge?

Since Elon mentioned the self-driving Tesla's will have the ability to be summoned anywhere via the mobile app including superchargers (where it will auto-connect). Will some owners take over advantage of this luxury and have their cars go to the nearest supercharger at night and comeback with a nearly fully charged car, free of charge?
I bet Elon hadn't thought of that. I'd be surprised if people there are many people that would do that. Maybe by then, more people will have Tesla solar tiles installed and cost of electricity will be practically free for everyone. Also, I thinking that most superchargers will have solar as well, so it'll be less of a burden for Tesla too.

I'd be surprised if people there are many people that would do that.

I'd be surprised if there are many people who wouldn't do that. Especially renters and apartment/condo dwellers who can't install home charging. And lots of new EV owners who don't have home charging installed might decide to forego the additional install costs and just use their $8K option they bought to its full advantage.

There are already folks who use the superchargers for free electricity instead of charging at home now. The only thing that keeps more folks from going that route is the inconvenience.

That seems like it's a good point, I suspect that we will end up seeing some kind of restrictions to the use of superchargers.

If the superchargers are intended primarily for long distance travel, perhaps blocking superchargers that are within 50 miles (100 miles?) of your "registered" home address? Or perhaps limiting the number of times you can use the same supercharger within a set time frame?

Or, possibly no use of superchargers for un-occupied cars unless you are logged into the Tesla Network (or whatever it will be called)

It goes against my grain to see any limitations, but on the other hand, if it gets out of hand, I would rather see reasonable limitations than see them go away altogether, and once Tesla has enough of a customer base, and high speed public EV connections are common enough , they will not really need them anymore as a sales differentiator. And I am SURE that as soon as Tesla figures they are costing more than they are bringing in (in sales), they will be looking at killing the program.

There are already folks who use the superchargers for free electricity instead of charging at home now. The only thing that keeps more folks from going that route is the inconvenience.

...And being bad at math. If you use the IRS' rate of 54 cents a mile, and high electric rates of 15c/KWh, then doing a 75% charge on a 90 KWh car costs $10. You better live within 10 miles of that charger to break even. Given that Tesla appears to value trade-ins at $1 per mile, it's even worse.

Reactions: vandacca
Maybe I'm crazy but I think you should own your own garage before you drive a Tesla.

That whole more dollars than sense thing with some Tesla owners.
While I see you point, this would limit the number of Tesla owners. Anyone renting or living in a big city without access to a garage would be left out. In London, the city put in charging stations next to residential parking spots in anticipation of EV owners needing them, so I don't see why this couldn't be done here in North America.

While I see you point, this would limit the number of Tesla owners. Anyone renting or living in a big city without access to a garage would be left out. In London, the city put in charging stations next to residential parking spots in anticipation of EV owners needing them, so I don't see why this couldn't be done here in North America.

Right. There are certainly unique circumstances and situations for every owner.

In my head the idea of

"I live in an apartment and my apartment parking lot doesn't have EV chargers. So I'm going to send out my Tesla every night to go charge itself at a SC and park in the apartment lot so I have a mostly charged up car every morning." - just sounds completely absurd to me.

:)

Right. There are certainly unique circumstances and situations for every owner.

In my head the idea of

"I live in an apartment and my apartment parking lot doesn't have EV chargers. So I'm going to send out my Tesla every night to go charge itself at a SC and park in the apartment lot so I have a mostly charged up car every morning." - just sounds completely absurd to me.

It can happen, provided what Elon said happens.

In my head the idea of

Imagine the sight of all these zombie (or are they vampire?) cars roaming the streets at night looking for a place to charge. Our pre-industrial ancestors stayed indoors at night for safety from roaming wolves and other predators. We'll have to stay indoors at night to avoid these roaming automaton autos. Freaky. :)

• Funny
Reactions: disagree and K-MTG
Imagine the sight of all these zombie (or are they vampire?) cars roaming the streets at night looking for a place to charge. Our pre-industrial ancestors stayed indoors at night for safety from roaming wolves and other predators. We'll have to stay indoors at night to avoid these roaming automaton autos. Freaky. :)

Elon better program autonomous road rage, that blue Model S took my spot!!!

Elon better program autonomous road rage, that blue Model S took my spot!!!
The Alpha Teslas get all the choice charging spots and they get to charge as often and as long as they want. Betas will have to wait until the Alphas are done. Omegas may never get to charge and they'll end up getting stranded when their batteries are depleted; their only hope is that their masters/mistresses have good homes and can offer them a nice place to stay at night and feed them electricity regularly.

The Alpha Teslas get all the choice charging spots and they get to charge as often and as long as they want. Betas will have to wait until the Alphas are done. Omegas may never get to charge and they'll end up getting stranded when their batteries are depleted; their only hope is that their masters/mistresses have good homes and can offer them a nice place to stay at night and feed them electricity regularly.

The Model S/X gets priority to the Model 3??

I disagree, the Model S/X can have 100 kWh pack
Ah, but pack size doesn't determine who in that pack will be the leader or alpha. Purely speculative at this point, but I'm thinking the FSDC firmware level of a car will play a role in determining its rank and, thus, its priority in self-charging. ;)

Besides, we don't yet know what the Model 3 pack sizes will be. :)

Last edited:
You sound like my wife. She always says that pack size doesn't matter.
Yeah, probably what's more important is how long your battery, regardless of size, can last on a charge (range) and how quickly you can recharge so that you are good to go again. The latter should help dispel most concerns about range anxiety and forgo the need to rely on artificial aids such as "range extenders" to give you confidence.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Chopr147