Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free data for four years!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No one is angry about this? They promised us they'd start charging us already:)

Great news. They may have fallen down on some promises but this helps make up for smaller ones like lighted visors I think.

I'm surprised Tesla is taking this kind of revenue hit, not that I'm complaining. Put it this way, assuming they eventually charge $20 per month (low end), that means this 4 years of free service saves us $960! If they charge $30 (more likely), then we are now saving $1,440! This makes me one very happy customer!

I'm surprised Tesla is taking this kind of revenue hit, not that I'm complaining. Put it this way, assuming they eventually charge $20 per month (low end), that means this 4 years of free service saves us $960! If they charge $30 (more likely), then we are now saving $1,440! This makes me one very happy customer!

AT&T charges $10 a month to add a tablet to your plan. I doubt they would charge more than that for the Model S. If Tesla charged $20-$30, people would just go directly to AT&T.

Fantastic news! I'm sure someone will find some reason to complain; after all, this is an Internet forum, so shame on anyone who complains!

thanks to Tesla Motors, this is a huge win

I was hoping for 8 years... :( :D

Seriously, it's a great move. Do want to upgrade (by paying for the hardware, of course) to 4G LTE at some point. And, hoping for a more usable and responsive browser too after future software updates.

When is that SDK coming btw? Can't wait for the $19 billion WhatsApp on the 17" screen :tongue:

Carriers usually seek second life use for older wireless technology. The infrastructure is already deployed and paid for.

I'd imagine smartphone's rapid LTE migration means there is probably excess 3G capacity. Just a guess but this is probably the reason Tesla is sticking with 3G and I'd imagine it is very cheap. Tesla's silicon valley computer trained engineers probably wants everyone to have live connection to continue collecting in field car's telemetry for feedback on product improvement.

Moving up to LTE would increase cost and likely have to pass cost onto the end users.

Last edited:
Carriers usually seek second life use for older wireless technology. The infrastructure is already deployed and paid for.

I'd imagine smartphone's rapid LTE migration means there is probably excess 3G capacity. Just a guess but this is probably the reason Tesla is sticking with 3G and I'd imagine it is very cheap. Tesla engineers probably wants everyone to have live connection to continue collecting in field car's telemetry for feedback on product improvement.

Moving up to LTE would increase cost and likely have to pass it onto the end users.
It's definitely not this...the car (well, the cellular equipment) is designed to be able to split off telemetry and other Tesla-paid data (before they decided to make our data free!) so that customers could choose not to buy a data plan and Tesla would still have access to our logs and other key data, and could still push updates. I would guess two things are involved here: 1) Billing may have been too hard/expensive/not worthwhile for so few US cars, and 2) If Tesla buys in bulk for 20,000-40,000 cars, they probably get a much better rate than making it optional...otherwise it's a risk for AT&T to put in the billing effort; what if only 5k people signed up, for example? And can you imagine the hassle of people wanting to "add a device" where that device is a Tesla? I imagine AT&T would rather send one bill to Tesla and cut them a very nice deal. And folks, let's just establish that Tesla and AT&T have said that for current cars it will be 4G HSPA+, which is far faster than what we need for what the car can do today. I know LTE is much faster, but people, we are browsing the web without video and listening to compressed internet audio while downloading some maps...do you really think 2, 3, 4, or 5 mbps isn't enough?!?!