Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Destination Charging: 50x L2 80A Stations @ Caltech, Pasadena, CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
you think work places put up parking garages they dont need?
Not necessary the garage to park gasoline car, but I am talking about the electric charger that EV driver actually use.
I can't imagine a place on this earth actually need 160 electric charger in a SINGLE location, maybe if you put them in a super busy shopping mall in the heart of silicon valley, Yes, there is a demand for it. But otherwise, such massive charger deployment strategy is just a waste of resource and money. It just doesn't make any sense at all.

• Disagree
Reactions: KJD and SageBrush
Not necessary the garage to park gasoline car, but I am talking about the electric charger that EV driver actually use.
I can't imagine a place on this earth actually need 160 electric charger in a SINGLE location, maybe if you put them in a super busy shopping mall in the heart of silicon valley, Yes, there is a demand for it. But otherwise, such massive charger deployment strategy is just a waste of resource and money. It just doesn't make any sense at all.

private office park with 10,000 people on campus. 160 is a drop in the bucket. this isn't about charging for the general public at bobs grocery store.

Reactions: KJD and Big Earl
California will exceed 10% EVs in the not so distant future. We are currently at only 3.5%, but with over 7% of new car sales electric and rising each year, it will happen in this new decade.
+1. When Gigafactory 4 (Germany) is on line (2021) and GF3 (China) are both cranking out cars, Fremont and GF2 will primarily supply US. Half of that will go to CA, maybe 300,000-400,000/yr. Since CA is adding GWs/yr solar and there is already excess 10am-2pm in the spring, workplace charging will become more important. 100-200 stall EV charging will soon be the norm. To eliminate carbon emissions, we will need charging at nearly every parking space (or eliminate driving). Remember, this is a university on the bleeding edge, which in this case is just barely a year or two in front of the future.

Reactions: Genie and SageBrush
chart.png

No need to bookmark....160 chargers already full every work day....average 2MWh delivered per day.

Each color is a different floor of the same parking lot. We will be starting several 300-400+ port installs in the same garage soon.

yea but that guy says you should put in 10 spots all over the place because free charging for random people is definitely better for a company than putting chargers in their own garages.

400 in one garage? my god btw. what power supply?

I don't understand these 100+ charger install in an garage that very few EV driver actually use. Is there such massive demand of charging in a SINGLE location?
It only seems under utilized because these pictures are from off hours. Electric vehicles, especially Tesla, are popular in California. Even more so for the Caltech community.
I'm bookmarking this quote, so in 5-10 years we can all look back and chuckle.
You won't have to wait. These chargers are fully utilized, at least during the day at the first lot. All manner of Model 3, S, X, Bolts, plug in hybrids. I would prove it with a photo, but social distancing precludes that at the moment.

Here's another recent install...160+ stations, single garage.

Stations as far as the eye can see!
View attachment 481930

If your workplace is in California and needs 100+ stations, we can probably help. =)
Hi sorry which parking structure is this located? Wilson? I can't wait to visit Caltech, I didn't attend but I did attend neighbor PCC, 25 years ago :)

Hi sorry which parking structure is this located? Wilson? I can't wait to visit Caltech, I didn't attend but I did attend neighbor PCC, 25 years ago :)
1248 E. California Blvd.
Under the new athletic field.
Its a great place. You might even say it's an EV mecca. (or maybe that's Kettleman City)

Reactions: brkaus
@MITE46 Any update on how many total EVSEs ended up getting installed in that garage?
doh! I was just there last week.
I actually couldn't get one of the new Tesla HPWCs to work for me. I plugged in, started it on the app but my MY wouldn't recognize it. I was in a hurry so I didn't have time to troubleshoot.
I supposed I didn't have time to count EVSEs either, even if you had asked before I went there. That would have taken quite a while.
I may be there again over the next few weeks if someone else doesn't provide an updated count.