Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FREE EV charging at GIANT Supermarkets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We were visiting our SIL/Dau and grandkids in southern MD over the July 4th holiday and had to run to the local supermarket, so my SIL and I took our Tesla. As we were looking for a parking spot we spied some BIG electronic billboards advertising FREE EV charging. Sure enough at the first parking spot on each row were EV chargers. There were 3 spots and none in use or ICE'd. So we pulled in and used my J1772 adapter and plugged in. Speed ramped up to 31 mph. I was shocked. This was in Lusby MD at the local GIANT supermarket. The sign indicated 2 hours max of FREE charging for customers.

This is what I found later:
www.supermarketnews.com

Giant Food rolls out electric vehicle charging stations

More than 200 units to be in place by mid-2021
www.supermarketnews.com

But I can see how this would piss off some ICE customers, PRIME front row parking, and FREE EV charging.

Amazing nonetheless.

There are a number of those Volta locations out here (N. Cal.). They are paid by the advertising on the big screen. GM has been one of their advertisers. (One time I was charging our Volt at a Volta, and there was a Volt ad on the screen! Not sure if I took a photo. It was about five years ago.). They have a phone app which lists all their sites, but most or all are probably in PlugShare anyway.

Last edited:
We were visiting our SIL/Dau and grandkids in southern MD over the July 4th holiday and had to run to the local supermarket, so my SIL and I took our Tesla. As we were looking for a parking spot we spied some BIG electronic billboards advertising FREE EV charging. Sure enough at the first parking spot on each row were EV chargers. There were 3 spots and none in use or ICE'd. So we pulled in and used my J1772 adapter and plugged in. Speed ramped up to 31 mph. I was shocked. This was in Lusby MD at the local GIANT supermarket. The sign indicated 2 hours max of FREE charging for customers.

www.supermarketnews.com

Giant Food rolls out electric vehicle charging stations

More than 200 units to be in place by mid-2021
www.supermarketnews.com

But I can see how this would piss off some ICE customers, PRIME front row parking, and FREE EV charging.

Amazing nonetheless.
Good to know; I'm just down the road in Lexington Park. There's free charging at most SMECO stations around here, but it's not very fast.

Reactions: kayak1

www.supermarketnews.com

I love this perk!​