Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Ludicrous Upgrade for Existing Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just did this a few days ago. Some people say you should place an order for the car without Ludicrous, some people have said you should place it with Ludicrous. I spoke to my owner adviser and he advised me to place the order without ludicrous and then let him know so he could put in a ticket to comp ludicrous mode for me. I did that, and sure enough I got a notification the next day that the order had been modified to include ludicrous. It increased the cost as well, but according to his email:

Owner Adviser said:
The case has been made to gift this option and when you take delivery of the vehicle, will notice the $20k price not included.

So that should be all you do. Get in contact with Tesla and let them know, place your order, then contact that person again with your RN and they will take care of it.

My understanding is that existing owners that get it will have it for 60 days and then it goes away. It is not free forever as it is if you were an existing owner and bought a new car.

I missed it by 6 days. I bought a new car and 6 days later they offered it free for life. I contacted them and pretty much they said, you lose. It it only from this day forward. Not a way to treat a repeat customer. Two weeks after my delivery they upped the referral to 5,000 miles of supercharging. So I missed that also (I referred myself and got 1000 miles x 2 =2000 miles of free supercharging.

• Disagree
Reactions: Maaz and glide
My understanding is that existing owners that get it will have it for 60 days and then it goes away. It is not free forever as it is if you were an existing owner and bought a new car.

I missed it by 6 days. I bought a new car and 6 days later they offered it free for life. I contacted them and pretty much they said, you lose. It it only from this day forward. Not a way to treat a repeat customer. Two weeks after my delivery they upped the referral to 5,000 miles of supercharging. So I missed that also (I referred myself and got 1000 miles x 2 =2000 miles of free supercharging.

Are you talking about ludicrous mode here or something else? Ludicrous is free for new cars for existing owners and not like a 60 day trial or anything

Reactions: liuping

Unfortunately, this is the "Tesla Way"

I wonder how many drivers gave up their free supercharging when Tesla quit offering it to new purchasers.
Here.

Doesn't matter. Got about $200 worth of "free" supercharging in several years, most of which was due to procrastination during charging because it was free.

Again, doesn't matter. You have to be some dedicated cheapskate or running a business for it to matter. To keep a few freeloaders from ruining the experience for everyone, a fee greater than charging at home is necessary.

I was making the point that some owners are up in arms when prices go down and want recompense but when new buyers are offered less, example, free charging, there is no offer to give up what they got.

Reminds me of the call I got from one of our tenants during "The Great Recession". They insisted they were entitled to a rent reduction since market rents were lower than their lease. I asked why didn't they call me and offer to pay MORE when their rent was LESS than market before "The Great Recession". The deafening silence that followed was priceless. :D

• Funny
Reactions: forkee and bhzmark
I was going to take advantage of the free ludicrous upgrade(placed order on April 26th, still no VIN) but was just told that I needed to be the original owner of the vehicle....and that a CPO purchase did not count. Kind of disappointing....Probably will just hold on to my P85DL instead of upgrading to the refresh right now. I wonder how many others are going to feel the same way.

Well, if that's the criteria, then they should allow any "first-time owner" to get the free ludicrous upgrade, even if they sold the car. So I bought a new P85+ in 2014, and then sold it and bought a used P85D. Would I be able to get the free ludicrous upgrade? Sounds like the answer would be "nope". :mad::(

Well, my inside sales advisor just said that his request for the ludicrous upgrade had not been denied....so I am in a "wait and see" mode. I feel like there is a bit of confusion surrounding this offer and could have been spelled out more clearly - but maybe having the dialogue is part of the overall sales strategy....

Inside sales advisor - maybe it will work out, have not been told no yet
Tesla personnel at the physical delivery location - only available for original owners

I was going to take advantage of the free ludicrous upgrade(placed order on April 26th, still no VIN) but was just told that I needed to be the original owner of the vehicle....and that a CPO purchase did not count. Kind of disappointing....Probably will just hold on to my P85DL instead of upgrading to the refresh right now. I wonder how many others are going to feel the same way.

Well, my inside sales advisor just said that his request for the ludicrous upgrade had not been denied....so I am in a "wait and see" mode. I feel like there is a bit of confusion surrounding this offer and could have been spelled out more clearly - but maybe having the dialogue is part of the overall sales strategy....

Inside sales advisor - maybe it will work out, have not been told no yet
Tesla personnel at the physical delivery location - only available for original owners

That sounds like a very Tesla-ish thing to do.
How can they advertise offering free ludicrous upgrade for existing owners, but exclude non-original existing owners behind the scenes. Sounds like something that could involve legal.

That sounds like a very Tesla-ish thing to do.
How can they advertise offering free ludicrous upgrade for existing owners, but exclude non-original existing owners behind the scenes. Sounds like something that could involve legal.

Same way Tesla only offered the Ludicrous upgrade for $5,000 (instead of $10,000) to P85D owners who bought them between 2 specific dates.

Other auto manufacturers do the same offering special incentives to their previous customers. It builds brand loyalty.

Same way Tesla only offered the Ludicrous upgrade for $5,000 (instead of $10,000) to P85D owners who bought them between 2 specific dates.

Other auto manufacturers do the same offering special incentives to their previous customers. It builds brand loyalty.

So, is a CPO/pre-owned buyer not considered a previous customer? BMW and Lexus never gave us different offers when we bought new and used. Lol.