Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free NEMA 5-20 Adapter for Gen 2 Mobile Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an unused 5-20 adapter for anyone who wants it (just send me a shipping label).

I ordered it thinking I had a 120v 20A outlet in my garage. Turns out that while it was a 20A outlet, it was on a 15A circuit shared with several other things (find me the electrician who thought that was a good idea). Fortunately I figured it out before the 5-20 adapter arrived. Since then, I had a NEMA 14-50 installed so there's no need to keep the 5-20.

Let me know (PM me).
O8SuIIB.jpg

Make sure your wire gauge is enough to handle 20A.
Agree. That's how I first realized the 20A outlet in my garage wasn't on a 20A circuit. I was charging the car using the stock mobile cable adapter (120V 15A) and the car was showing the voltage dropping below 110V with the current at 9A. I wanted to open the outlet to make sure the connections were tight so I went to the breaker box and turned off all the 20A breakers one by one and none of them turned the circuit off. I eventually found the 15A circuit it was on and switched it off. When I opened the outlet, It seemed to me to be 14 gauge wire going to the outlet. The 20A outlet should never have been used on that 15A circuit (which as I said earlier, also supplied other outlets and lights). I can't say it was a safety issue because the breaker would have triggered to protect the 14 gauge wire had I ever tried plugging in a real 20 amp load. That was an interesting discovery.

I think it would make more sense to convert your 5-15p to 6-15p for 240V, doesn't cost a whole lot more, and you get much faster charging rates than going from 15A to 20A in 120V.
That's a great idea (because I thought of it too :)). As long as it's the only outlet on the circuit. In my case it wasn't, If someone has a true 120V, 20A single outlet circuit, you can go up to a 6-20 outlet by changing to a 240V 20A breaker at the panel without running new cable. All things I could have done if the original builder installed a dedicated circuit to the garage. I ended up hiring an electrician to install a dedicated 14-50 outlet (did my own for my MS 4 years ago but that was a much shorter cable run).

Turns out that while it was a 20A outlet, it was on a 15A circuit shared with several other things (find me the electrician who thought that was a good idea).

It happens a lot, I've seen it on forums or youtube. The installer (not an electrician, but a DIYer) wants a "higher quality" outlet or just plain purchased the wrong item at home depot.

Personally, I'm not sure why this standard even exists. Its great to put some receptacles on 20a so that they don't trip the breaker or require an extra wire, but what is the appliance that needs an extra 600 kw and wouldn't rather have a lot more...? A tea kettle is a great example, but I can't find me a NEMA 5-20 kettle.

• Love
Reactions: jeremymc7
[QUOTE="user212_nr, post: 4685369, member: 113224"A tea kettle is a great example, but I can't find me a NEMA 5-20 kettle.[/QUOTE]

Import you’re self a proper 3000w British (or other country) kettle and heat in half the time. Just make sure you have proper outlet, wiring, fuse, converter.

Personally, I'm not sure why this standard even exists. Its great to put some receptacles on 20a so that they don't trip the breaker or require an extra wire, but what is the appliance that needs an extra 600 kw and wouldn't rather have a lot more...?

Legacy standard perhaps? Unless their’s an efficiency issue I would think the negligible cost of using 20A wire should be the norm for new construction, even if you use 15A outlets and fuses. I’d also prefer to overkill with everything home run to dedicated fuses (and oversized) panel. But again it’s overkill and way more costly.

It happens a lot, I've seen it on forums or youtube. The installer (not an electrician, but a DIYer) wants a "higher quality" outlet or just plain purchased the wrong item at home depot.

Personally, I'm not sure why this standard even exists. Its great to put some receptacles on 20a so that they don't trip the breaker or require an extra wire, but what is the appliance that needs an extra 600 kw and wouldn't rather have a lot more...? A tea kettle is a great example, but I can't find me a NEMA 5-20 kettle.

In my case, it was a new house so it was done by the builder (so I assume an electrician). I think there are tools that require 20A outlets so maybe some of the contractors doing some of the finishing work (floors etc) needed a 20A outlet (and couldn't find an adapter) so someone put one in. There's no way to know now. Once we're allowed out of our houses, I'll check to see if one of my neighbors has the same situation. There were actually two 20A outlets on that garage circuit (as well as the lighting mentioned earlier). One was by the water heater where a hot water circulation pump was plugged in (the pump was rated at 115v 0.75A). They were both single outlets (not duplex).

In my case, it was a new house so it was done by the builder (so I assume an electrician). I think there are tools that require 20A outlets so maybe some of the contractors doing some of the finishing work (floors etc) needed a 20A outlet (and couldn't find an adapter) so someone put one in. There's no way to know now. Once we're allowed out of our houses, I'll check to see if one of my neighbors has the same situation. There were actually two 20A outlets on that garage circuit (as well as the lighting mentioned earlier). One was by the water heater where a hot water circulation pump was plugged in (the pump was rated at 115v 0.75A). They were both single outlets (not duplex).

Sounds like a worker just bought the wrong item and no one noticed.

I literally cannot find even 1 item that uses either 20 amps @ 120v or the NEMA 5-20 standard, with the exception of EVSE like Tesla. No kettles, no vacuum cleaners, no power tools. There must be something that uses that plug, but I cannot find it.

NEMA 5-20 is only going to provide 30% more power, but it will restrict the product so that it works only in a few locations. You can't even change out the plug because it is drawing 20A.

Last edited:
Sounds like a worker just bought the wrong item and no one noticed.

I literally cannot find even 1 item that uses either 20 amps @ 120v or the NEMA 5-20 standard, with the exception of EVSE like Tesla. No kettles, no vacuum cleaners, no power tools. There must be something that uses that plug, but I cannot find it.

NEMA 5-20 is only going to provide 30% more power, but it will restrict the product so that it works only in a few locations. You can't even change out the plug because it is drawing 20A.
The funny thing is that not all EVs support 120V 16A charging either. I doubt any EVs that have 3.3kW chargers for example support it. I believe it is commonly used for example for photocopiers and some UPSes.

The funny thing is that not all EVs support 120V 16A charging either. I doubt any EVs that have 3.3kW chargers for example support it. I believe it is commonly used for example for photocopiers and some UPSes.

You have to look at commercial or restaurant supply.

The cleaning crew at my office building uses 20A vacuum cleaners with the T plug.

I’ve also seen $500+ blenders and waffle / griddle irons that uses the 20A T plug.

But yeah not the kind of stuff you’ll find at Best Buy or anywhere less than places like Williams Sonoma at a minimum.

;-)

Reactions: vickh