Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free nighttime electricity in Texas!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, really. With the soil in Texas basements aren't viable. They would be flooded with every rain.

This is a myth. I built one in Austin, never flooded. The reasons behind the lack of basements in parts of Texas (among many other western states) is that there isn't a custom of building them. They built pier and beam houses there. There was little need to get utility service below the "frost line" in warmer parts of the state, so tying in didn't require excavating anyway.

With my basement, we had the challenges of putting pumps in to pump wastewater from the basement plumbing UP to the sewer lines, which sit just below grade.

A basement in Texas is an awesome thing, by the way. The climate control is awesome.

I was surprised and glad to see that Chris was really making the "free" nightime electrcity work for him... ($0.033 per kwh avg)
I never assume Free is really free so I generally just stick to switching power providers often to keep my rate down. I currently pay $ 0.055 regardless of when I use the power. Not as inexpensive as Chris has it going but I don't have any worries about scheduling when I charge or wash dishes etc. As long as you are not currently served by a COOP you really do have the Powertochoose.org your power provider and select a low cost plan herre in Texas due to deregulation.