Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free premium Connectivity ending

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mr H

Jan 6, 2020
Manchester
You can now pay for the Premium Connectivity from your Tesla account costing £9.99 per month. Bugger, oh well i got 2 months free and it's still working at the moment

EDIT - i think it only became available today as i still have it for a month, expiring on 18th May

• Informative
Reactions: bhav
Not paid much attention to this as mine is a company car, but what's included in premium connectivity?

Will be glad to see the back of Spotify and its search suggestions for low quality tracks when I have a large SD cards worth of high quality music to my taste that is simply ignored at the moment. I just wished that it could stream from phone via USB avoiding the low quality bluetooth connection than I could fill in any blanks from the Tidal service I already subscribe to.

The only bit I will miss is the on screen traffic data, even if it shows false problems most of the time. If we are stuck in something, its nice to see where we are in relation to the end - however most of the time we are in that situation, there will be a passenger with a phone. I use to pay approx £7/year for that feature on the satnav on my phone, so won't be paying £10/month for it.

Possibly a more beneficial feature was extending access of more of these features via wifi (ie tethered connection) irrespective of premium connectivity.

Last edited:
You can now pay for the Premium Connectivity from your Tesla account costing £9.99 per month. Bugger, oh well i got 2 months free and it's still working at the moment

EDIT - i think it only became available today as i still have it for a month, expiring on 18th May

My account for Model S bought March 2019 is now showing same, Premium at £9.99 a month from 18/05/20.

I'm unsure if DAB radio requires Premium? Is DAB classed as music over cellular? I have a bad feeling that it is...

So from that link...

Orders of Model S, Model X and Model 3 with Premium Interior will receive a Premium Connectivity trial for one year after delivery.

All deliveries of Model 3 Standard Range and Standard Range Plus will receive a 30-day complimentary Premium Connectivity trial.

As I have the 3 performance with premium interior I have the trial for a year?

I'm not too bothered with the quality as my hearing is past its best (I can't hear upper frequencies anymore) so I'm OK with Spotify....

In reality I won't be paying the £10 a month when this runs our as its just not worth it to me.

What is frustrating is the fact that if you tether WiFi to phone, it disconnects this as soon as you start driving.

Reactions: Andrew_SE23
I too will just go back to streaming audio from my phone, which seems to work just fine. I see no expiry date on my account, though. I got my M3 in August so would expect it to run until then?
Also, I ordered mine in February 2018. Was there not something about free premium for life for orders that early on or did I dream?

Also, I ordered mine in February 2018. Was there not something about free premium for life for orders that early on or did I dream?

You didn't dream.
Who is eligible for a Premium Connectivity subscription?
All Model S, Model X and Model 3 ordered on or after July 1, 2018 can subscribe to Premium Connectivity. All cars ordered on or before June 30, 2018 receive Premium Connectivity automatically for the lifetime of the car.

However, are you talking about taking out the reservation or an order? I had assumed that an order date meant (first day available in UK and date that we ordered) 1st May 2019, but it would be nice if it meant reservation but thats probably a bit of wishful thinking.

I don't think I'll bother subscribing when the free period ends. I might change my mind later but I can't say I make use of the added functionality as it is. I've seen the traffic visualisation but don't really make any driving decisions based on it (prefer to stick to the original route.) I've used Spotify a few times but always found it a bit of a faff trying to find something that I'll enjoy listening to. Since attaching a USB SSD I just play music from my own collection instead.

You didn't dream.

However, are you talking about taking out the reservation or an order? I had assumed that an order date meant (first day available in UK and date that we ordered) 1st May 2019, but it would be nice if it meant reservation but thats probably a bit of wishful thinking.
I ordered on the 5th of May so hopefully will luck out. The fact that there seems to be no expiry date for the Premium Connectivity on my profile might suggest it’s free for the lifetime of the car :)

Next to the opening Pano roof, the free premium connectivity is one of the items that’ll keep me in my MS likely well past the warranty.

Strange to hear the comments about audio quality. It all sounds poor in a car anyway compared to a proper home set up. Bluetooth is just as bad as USB because of the low quality Tesla backend and the 65-70db ambient road noise, which is why and I usually just listen to rock/alternative in the car - which is really crap sound wise anyway.

Last edited: