Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free premium Connectivity ending

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am with you on the reservation as it became impossible for any UK orders to beat the cutoff date, however I would concentrate on the website state of the actual order/configuration date (UK Model 3 orders opened 1st May 2019).

For the reservation, Tesla may throw the 'reservation is not an order' (which was in their T&C's) argument back although I think some UK legal people will argue that the reservation did form an implied part of the order.

Hopefully they will open it to reservation holder date too as other than US (others?), Model 3's were not available to 'order' at point of cutoff (iirc May 2018?). Seems a bit unfair that early reservation holders missed out on the ability to order even though our cash helped fund the development of the vehicle which may not have been so successful without us.

Last edited:
Well, might as well jump on that bandwagon as well. Ordered Feb 2018 so should have included connectivity.

Which email address are people using to complain?
I have also emailed about the charge for connectivity. If you read back through this thread a number of people have added Tesla email addresses.
I also pointed out to Tesla that they have made this change already in Australia and New Zealand so those who ordered before 30th June 2019 get free connectivity with premium in those countries.

In the UK, pretty much anything that helps swing the sale, forms part of the sale 'contract', although some are easier to prove than others. You cannot remove terms unless they are clear.

I think Tesla would be hard pushed to argue that a feature of the car was a subscription without making it absolutely clear at point of sale, ie the web configurator - you cannot unreasonably hide this restriction in small print or T&C's that only become available once the sale is accepted - they only needed to put a '*' disclaimer, but they didn't.

At point of sale for early Model 3 purchasers, the 'premium connectivity' was a headline feature with no disclaimer saying that it was subscription and that can be proven. The subscription limitation in headline at point of sale only became clear at a later date, looks to be a month or so later.

On the original point, It wouldn't surprise me if Elons tweets could be argued to form part of sale contract too. Although Tesla may argue that it was 'future promise' which gets messy to argue. These arguments are often resolved by 'goodwill' solutions where no liability is attributed.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: tj333 and Roy W.
I ordered in February 2018 and didn’t change the order.

How did you order in Feb 2018 when UK orders didn't officially open until 1st May 2019? Prior to that date, it was a reservation. If you are saying that you reserved in Feb 2018, then Tesla will argue (it was included in their T&C's at some point but don't know when) that a reservation was not an offer to sell, although I would like to know what a UK legal person would say about that.

The unarguable case imho, is that those that placed an order/configured prior to the website mentioning subscription for LR/AWD and Performance variants (it was not part of the SR spec), ie 1st May 2019 to xx June 2919, had good reason to believe that the premium connectivity was part of the spec at the point of ordering.

I do however personally feel that the reservation date should also be considered for the premium connectivity cut off date as a £1k payment to Tesla for potentially over 3 years was not an insignificant commitment which for many gave zero benefit to themselves despite being promised order priority etc.

Last edited:
It would be hard to call Elon’s tweets part of the contract.
I have absolutely no obligation to have Twitter, follow or monitor his tweets just in case there is something there that might change the T&Cs of a car purchase.

Actually, it would be very easy to regard Musks tweets as contractual. His twitter has been notified to the US securities exchange as a formal method of corporate communication (which is why he gets into trouble so often), so if he tweeted and said "premium connectivity is free for all new purchases" then you can use that as evidence fromt he point he said it.

The problem with the premium connectivtiy is they didn't say anything, just as you'd be hard pushed to find any public paperwork that says how many wheel nuts you get. Even the rear heated seats ont he SR+ could be argued - they didn't say you don't get them, some early cars were delivered with them turned on and then later Musk turned them off and now want £300 of something for them. On the basis the car was delivered with them, then I'd be arguning the car should have them. (later cars delivered without them is a different argument). Those that had a UMC delivered with a 13a and 16a commando connector wouldn't be happy if Tesla took one of the connectors away from you 6 months later saying it was a mistake but you can buy it back..

How did you order in Feb 2018 when UK orders didn't officially open until 1st May 2019? Prior to that date, it was a reservation. If you are saying that you reserved in Feb 2018, then Tesla will argue (it was included in their T&C's at some point but don't know when) that a reservation was not an offer to sell, although I would like to know what a UK legal person would say about that.

The unarguable case imho, is that those that placed an order/configured prior to the website mentioning subscription for LR/AWD and Performance variants (it was not part of the SR spec), ie 1st May 2019 to xx June 2919, had good reason to believe that the premium connectivity was part of the spec at the point of ordering.

I do however personally feel that the reservation date should also be considered for the premium connectivity cut off date as a £1k payment to Tesla for potentially over 3 years was not an insignificant commitment which for many gave zero benefit to themselves despite being promised order priority etc.
Eloquent as ever.....

I too have received the reply below from [email protected] after I explained that there was no 1 year limit to the premium connectivity when I ordered in May 2019.

Thank you for your message .
We are currently investigating your concern, that is shared by a number of equivalent owners, and will come back to you with an update once we have relevant feedback and a proposed solution. The introduction of the subscription for Premium Connectivity was a change for all our owners globally and so we want to ensure that all equivalent owners are treated equally and fairly. We are working on a solution and will come back to you.
Thank you for your patience whilst we review this.

Suggest many more folks email them, can only help :)

Well in my staycation road trip to Scotland I have tested a week with and week without the premium connectivity features to help decide if I will pay from next month. Two specific factors are leading me to think that I will pay up for at least some of the time:

1) In my experience Music quality from the on board Spotify account is considerably better than when playing music via my phone over Bluetooth (using my Apple Music sub). Perhaps it’s tuned / optimised to use the speakers better? I’m not sure but the quality difference was significant.

2) I appear to be so used to the satellite imagery on sat nav that switching it off dulls the experience down considerably. I much prefer it with the satellite mapping.

Is that worth £9.99 per month? Probably not given the mileage I’m doing right now. I may choose to opt in on a month by month basis when doing longer road trips for holidays etc. Good that we have that flexibility rather than having to sign up for a committed period.

Reactions: Roy W.