Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free premium Connectivity ending

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks,

Purchased M3LR in August 2019. Premium connectivity ran out after 12 months (at least according to Tesla, but agreed the contract wordings at the time where a little ambiguous regarding duration of premium connectivity)

Started paying the £9.99 monthly from Aug 2020.

Last payment taken was Oct 2020 and I have not been billed since but still have premium connectivity ?

Anybody else had the same experience
Yes. Same here, based on Aug 2019 delivey, but ordered in May. As described in the posts in this thread Tesla decided to keep premium connectivity free for owners like us, for the duration of our ownership. I have had no refunds of my monthly payments, but I haven't lost any sleep over that.

Folks,

Purchased M3LR in August 2019. Premium connectivity ran out after 12 months (at least according to Tesla, but agreed the contract wordings at the time where a little ambiguous regarding duration of premium connectivity)

Started paying the £9.99 monthly from Aug 2020.

Last payment taken was Oct 2020 and I have not been billed since but still have premium connectivity ?

Anybody else had the same experience

Yes, mine the same, ordered May 2019. Paid twice then no more.

You can check the status in your account. Go to car details and it list your premium connectivity status.

If you are on free unlimited then it will show like this:

upload_2020-12-22_13-27-0.png

oh right... we ordered in July 2019 and collected Sep 2019. If we upgraded, would we get free connectivity at some point?

tl;dr - its unclear, depends and subject to 'Tesla rules'#

For the Model 3, the 'issue' that Tesla seemed to address, would only have affected cars fitted with Premium Interior (so LR and Performance) ordered between 1st May 2019 (day order book opened in UK) and sometime between 4th June and 16th July when the web page changed. I don't have the exact date (these are dates of consecutive page archives where the order page changed), but if when you ordered it did not mention the one year free connectivity, then I believe Tesla should honour the connectivity for life*. However, it is not entirely clear what criteria Tesla used to determine the cutoff as there are some reports of people ordering later than these dates receiving the connectivity. I think if you were eligible, you would have got it but no harm in asking Tesla with your own circumstances.

* quite possibly original owner only
# they make them up as they go along

However, we ordered the cheapest we could get so only partial-premium interior.

iirc Premium connectivity only initially came with he LR and Performance models, SR+ it wasn't even an option, at least, not in its entirety in early days, ie early SR+ orders never even had an option for sat, live traffic, web browser etc. It only later became available on SR+ and then as a 1 month trial, although this seemed to repeatedly extend until Tesla introduced the ability to charge for it. For LR and Performance, the Premium Connectivity advertised at point of sale turned into a 1 year trial. The latter was the point of issue, in that the trial was retrospectively applied to vehicles where no such limitation was mentioned at point of sale.

Reactions: Adopado
cheers for that. Looking at the invoice I can see that we actually ordered on the 8th of Aug (not July as I had thought) but there's no mention at all about 1 month of connectivity. However, we ordered the cheapest we could get so only partial-premium interior. I'll ask them though. No harm in that!

Wasn't advertised as available for the SR+ ... only for LR and P ...

iirc Premium connectivity only initially came with he LR and Performance models, SR+ it wasn't even an option, at least, not in its entirety in early days,
We certainly had more than a month of it. We had YouTube/Netflix/Spotify from the get go and it wasn't until very much later that I discovered we had an icon to tap on the map and... lo and behold... we had traffic and satellite data (wish they'd told me when we picked it up). It was roughly a year after purchase that we lost premium connectivity along with everyone else on here. I've written to the powers that be and have yet to have a reply.

We certainly had more than a month of it. We had YouTube/Netflix/Spotify from the get go and it wasn't until very much later that I discovered we had an icon to tap on the map and... lo and behold... we had traffic and satellite data (wish they'd told me when we picked it up). It was roughly a year after purchase that we lost premium connectivity along with everyone else on here. I've written to the powers that be and have yet to have a reply.

Yes we got a free extended bonus because the payment for premium connectivity hadn’t been put in place... nobody even knew what the cost was going to be. I ordered in July 19 delivered September 19 and was aware that premium connectivity was not going to continue as a free goody. This is different to the LR where it was listed as part of the car.

Reactions: tj333
The spec on the right will be pretty much identical to what you will have ordered - you can check your exact purchase spec on the waybackmachine web archive but I doubt it will differ much if at all. No mention of any form of premium connectivity for partial premium, ie SR+. At that point, 1 year was being mentioned for premium interiors only, ie LR and Performance.

Sometime between June and July, Tesla changed the spec of premium interior cars to a 1 year subscription model for premium connectivity. A later software change iirc in Dec 2019 bought in a 1 month trial for premium connectivity for SR+ models. It was meant to be a month, but it is widely reported that Tesla had no way of billing for it so just let the trial run for free until they could. I think this is what you got.

Things may differ under some finance options, ie lease, where the same issue of being unable to bill for subscription apparently still exists. But I suspect Tesla will see it as when you purchased there was no premium connectivity availability for SR. They then gave you a 1 month trial of it sometime in December 2019 which was a bonus for SR owners who couldn't even get any form prior to that. Then rather than terminate the subscription after 1 month because they had no way to bill for it, they let it run until the point that they could charge for it. This is still running for some lease customers.

Unlike early premium interior vehicle orders being converted to a subscription model, which Tesla have subsequently righted, I don't see any case for partial premium vehicles. The error that Tesla made was not having any method to bill for the premium connectivity subscription when they introduced the 1 month trial for SR owners. They then chose to extend the trial until they could bill for it instead of terminating the trial at 1 month and cutting people off.

upload_2020-9-12_13-11-45-png.587358

The spec on the right will be pretty much identical to what you will have ordered - you can check your exact purchase spec on the waybackmachine web archive but I doubt it will differ much if at all. No mention of any form of premium connectivity for partial premium, ie SR+. At that point, 1 year was being mentioned for premium interiors only, ie LR and Performance.

Sometime between June and July, Tesla changed the spec of premium interior cars to a 1 year subscription model for premium connectivity. A later software change iirc in Dec 2019 bought in a 1 month trial for premium connectivity for SR+ models. It was meant to be a month, but it is widely reported that Tesla had no way of billing for it so just let the trial run for free until they could. I think this is what you got.

Things may differ under some finance options, ie lease, where the same issue of being unable to bill for subscription apparently still exists. But I suspect Tesla will see it as when you purchased there was no premium connectivity availability for SR. They then gave you a 1 month trial of it sometime in December 2019 which was a bonus for SR owners who couldn't even get any form prior to that. Then rather than terminate the subscription after 1 month because they had no way to bill for it, they let it run until the point that they could charge for it. This is still running for some lease customers.

Unlike early premium interior vehicle orders being converted to a subscription model, which Tesla have subsequently righted, I don't see any case for partial premium vehicles. The error that Tesla made was not having any method to bill for the premium connectivity subscription when they introduced the 1 month trial for SR owners. They then chose to extend the trial until they could bill for it instead of terminating the trial at 1 month and cutting people off.

upload_2020-9-12_13-11-45-png.587358

That is exactly my understanding of how things panned out. The arrival of Premium Connectivity for a period came as a pleasant surprise and a bonus for us SR+ people. I saw this as an improvement over what was advertised before I bought the car. It lasted for a few months and then, rather than just disappearing forever, we were given the option to continue it by paying a subscription. I don't think it's helpful to the cause of the LR and Performance owners (who have a clear case of misrepresentation) for us to muddy the water by trying to claim we are also due ongoing free Premium Connectivity!

Justed spotted the change in my status yesterday on the software screen. I had been paying the 9.99 a month since September 2020, but now have unlimited free access. I am in the August 2019 delivery zone M3P, so that does make sense. In reviewing the documentation surrounding my sale I did not think we had a case, however I am happy to go with this :)