Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free premium connectivity transferable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, tesla connectivity FAQ explicitly states it transfers with private party sale.

Only time selling used loses features is either:

It's a feature explicitly provided only to original owner (lifetime supercharging on some cars is the only example I know of)

or

It's sold back to Tesla (who can remove anything they want)

Hi all, can you please help me out. I purchased a used 2017 model 3 LR (one of the first ones to come out). I was under the impression since this car was purchased new before July 2018 (or whatever the date is), that it has lifetime premium connectivity. I called Tesla customer service a few days ago before I purchased the car and they confirmed it would transfer with the car.

Now that I have app access, it says I’m loosing premium connectivity. I purchased through 3rd party dealer so it wasn’t in Tesla’s hands (I know the remove this if you buy used through them). I’ve called Tesla and they’ve basically said I’m SOL and they can’t do anything about it.

Has anyone run into this before? What did you do?

Hi all, can you please help me out. I purchased a used 2017 model 3 LR (one of the first ones to come out). I was under the impression since this car was purchased new before July 2018 (or whatever the date is), that it has lifetime premium connectivity. I called Tesla customer service a few days ago before I purchased the car and they confirmed it would transfer with the car.

Now that I have app access, it says I’m loosing premium connectivity. I purchased through 3rd party dealer so it wasn’t in Tesla’s hands (I know the remove this if you buy used through them). I’ve called Tesla and they’ve basically said I’m SOL and they can’t do anything about it.

Has anyone run into this before? What did you do?

You bought it from a third party, but unless you can prove that the chain of custody never included tesla after the first owner, you might be SOL.

Also, this is tesla's current verbiage on their website for premium connectivity. That Asterisk of *used cars ordered on or after jan 9th are eligible for a subscription., is a bit vague. Ordered from tesla?

It also includes this blurb:
=================================
How are used Tesla cars affected by this policy?
All used Tesla cars purchased on or before January 8, 2020 will continue to have the Premium Connectivity features described above at no cost for the lifetime of the car, and will be active for future owners if sold privately.

I think you would be within your rights to ask "WHY is my premium connectivity being changed to a for cost option on this 2017 model 3 I bought private party?" I think you should be entitled to the answer as to why they are doing that, with something other than "nothing I can do". Something like " this vehicle was turned into tesla and tesla sold at auction, so is no longer eligible for free premium connectivity". They owe you an explanation at least in my opinion.

premium connectivity.JPG

Last edited:
Did they say why you were SOL? Did the vehicle never have it, or did it get removed (and when)?

Their terms say "for the lifetime of the car".

All cars ordered on or before June 30, 2018 receive Premium Connectivity automatically for the lifetime of the car.

So, unless they can prove they owned it and removed it at that time, they should put it back.

You bought it from a third party, but unless you can prove that the chain of custody never included tesla after the first owner, you might be SOL.

Also, this is tesla's current verbiage on their website for premium connectivity. That Asterisk of *used cars ordered on or after jan 9th are eligible for a subscription., is a bit vague. Ordered from tesla?

All used Tesla cars purchased on or before January 8, 2020 will continue to have the Premium Connectivity features described above at no cost for the lifetime of the car, and will be active for future owners if sold privately.

I think you would be within your rights to ask "WHY is my premium connectivity being changed to a for cost option on this 2017 model 3 I bought private party?" I think you should be entitled to the answer as to why they are doing that, with something other than "nothing I can do". Something like " this vehicle was turned into tesla and tesla sold at auction, so is no longer eligible for free premium connectivity". They owe you an explanation at least in my opinion.

View attachment 617733
I purchased from a local dealer. But I’ll call them back and ask why their taking it away. They said before since I purchased the car after jan 2020 the car was no longer Eligible

Did they say why you were SOL? Did the vehicle never have it, or did it get removed (and when)?

Their terms say "for the lifetime of the car".

All cars ordered on or before June 30, 2018 receive Premium Connectivity automatically for the lifetime of the car.

So, unless they can prove they owned it and removed it at that time, they should put it back.
Thank you for that quote - very helpful. The car did have it with the previous owner. It was in the hands of a local dealer for a few weeks, but Tesla never owned it. I told them since it was ordered before 2018, it should have lifetime warranty but their claim was that since I purchased it after jan 2020, I wasn’t eligible for it and that’s why it was removed. But that doesn’t make sense since it’s a pre June 2018 car

Where did the 3rd party dealer get it from? From Tesla at auction?

Also, how do you know it was purchased before the cut-off date? It could have been a long term demo/loaner car...
Purchased from a dealer. I test drove the car and made sure it had premium connectivity (rear heated seats, satellite map, live traffic, etc). I also called Tesla customer service prior to purchasing and gave them the vin and the person I talked to confirmed it would stay with the car after I purchased. But now I got an email saying it’s been removed and I have a 30 day trial. I called them back and informed them that it’s a pre June 2018 car (should have premium for the CAR’s lifetime, not the owner) but they said because I purchased a used car after jan 2020, that’s why they removed it

This part is strange. I don't see how they can
Thank you for that quote - very helpful. The car did have it with the previous owner. It was in the hands of a local dealer for a few weeks, but Tesla never owned it. I told them since it was ordered before 2018, it should have lifetime warranty but their claim was that since I purchased it after jan 2020, I wasn’t eligible for it and that’s why it was removed. But that doesn’t make sense since it’s a pre June 2018 car

Correct, that would not be for the lifetime of the car. There is some interesting verbiage on the lifetime premium connectivity page regarding used car sales. I would have to assume that would be from Tesla. Not any used car purchase - or lifetime of the car would nit be correct.

Connectivity

All used Tesla cars purchased on or after January 9, 2020 will receive Standard Connectivity and are eligible to upgrade to Premium Connectivity. A 30-Day trial of Premium Connectivity is provided on delivery and can be upgraded to Premium Connectivity from the Tesla Account.

What connectivity package applies to Tesla cars purchased privately and have transferred ownership?
Tesla cars purchased privately or via third-party and have transferred ownership on or before January 20, 2020 will have free Premium Connectivity for the lifetime of the car.

Tesla cars purchased privately or via third-party and have transferred ownership on or after January 21, 2020 that do not have lifetime Premium Connectivity or an active Premium Connectivity trial will receive a 30 day trial of Premium Connectivity before being eligible for subscription.

• Informative
Reactions: Gasaraki
Connectivity

All used Tesla cars purchased on or after January 9, 2020 will receive Standard Connectivity and are eligible to upgrade to Premium Connectivity. A 30-Day trial of Premium Connectivity is provided on delivery and can be upgraded to Premium Connectivity from the Tesla Account.

What connectivity package applies to Tesla cars purchased privately and have transferred ownership?
Tesla cars purchased privately or via third-party and have transferred ownership on or before January 20, 2020 will have free Premium Connectivity for the lifetime of the car.

Tesla cars purchased privately or via third-party and have transferred ownership on or after January 21, 2020 that do not have lifetime Premium Connectivity or an active Premium Connectivity trial will receive a 30 day trial of Premium Connectivity before being eligible for subscription.
This is where I get confused- the car is prior to June 2018 (lifetime of car has premium). But since I purchased it used after jan 2020, it’s saying I don’t have premium included. The car applies to both statements (should be included for lifetime) and should not be included (after jan 2020 purchase). So I don’t know which I fall under. If it’s the case since I bought it used after jan 2020 and don’t get premium, that sucks but fine. I was just under the assumption, and called Tesla prior to purchasing, to confirm it would be stay with the car after I purchased.

This is where I get confused- the car is prior to June 2018 (lifetime of car has premium). But since I purchased it used after jan 2020, it’s saying I don’t have premium included. The car applies to both statements (should be included for lifetime) and should not be included (after jan 2020 purchase). So I don’t know which I fall under. If it’s the case since I bought it used after jan 2020 and don’t get premium, that sucks but fine. I was just under the assumption, and called Tesla prior to purchasing, to confirm it would be stay with the car after I purchased.

Thats what I was talking about when I said "that asterisk is vague". If I had to guess, it would be (and this is just a guess, I dont have any additional insight even though I am a mod at TMC), that tesla left that vague on purpose.

They likely intended it to be "the free lifetime transferrable premium connectivity gravy train stops on january 9th 2020", but left it vague so that it was not picked up like that among EV following websites.

You might be able to escalate this, but I am not currently sure how you would go about doing that (or whether that is worth it to you for $120 a year). I would say that it was "misleading, even on teslas own website", but they do have that "asterisk" there where they say sales of used cars after X date dont apply. The "insinuation" is that its used cars purchased through tesla, but thats not what they actually say in that line.

But again, they state "stay with the car" for < 2018 vehicles, so it appears you could argue that if you could get someone with some authority to do something. Tesla does a very good job of blocking that "someone with authority" from most of us, though.

Today I had ownership transferred over of a 2018 model 3 performance from a private party. It included premium connectivity prior to the transfer and now the premium connectivity is gone, replaced with a 30 day trial. Do I have any recourse? Is there anything I can do?

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3
Yeah, tesla connectivity FAQ explicitly states it transfers with private party sale.

Only time selling used loses features is either:

It's a feature explicitly provided only to original owner (lifetime supercharging on some cars is the only example I know of)

or

It's sold back to Tesla (who can remove anything they want)

I have a June 2019 delivered SR+. I have “lifetime” premium connectivity for as long as I own the car.

Today I had ownership transferred over of a 2018 model 3 performance from a private party. It included premium connectivity prior to the transfer and now the premium connectivity is gone, replaced with a 30 day trial. Do I have any recourse? Is there anything I can do?
It seems this was changed on vehicles sold on or after January 21st 2020. Connectivity Apparently, I am SOL? Is it worth a call to Tesla? I don't even see a phone number...

• Funny
It seems this was changed on vehicles sold on or after January 21st 2020. Connectivity Apparently, I am SOL? Is it worth a call to Tesla? I don't even see a phone number...

I’m the 0P, and I haven’t tried to sell my car privately just yet although I probably will soon.

Your link to Tesla’s site doesn’t make it too clear whether connectivity will transfer or not for a current private used sale, although I think it will, and I’ll be a bit peeved if it doesn’t because they used that as an incentive to place an order before 7/1/18.

If your car was originally ordered (not delivered) before that date, I think you should call them to enquire. If it was ordered after that date, you might indeed be SOL.

I’m the 0P, and I haven’t tried to sell my car privately just yet although I probably will soon.

Your link to Tesla’s site doesn’t make it too clear whether connectivity will transfer or not for a current private used sale, although I think it will, and I’ll be a bit peeved if it doesn’t because they used that as an incentive to place an order before 7/1/18.

If your car was originally ordered (not delivered) before that date, I think you should call them to enquire. If it was ordered after that date, you might indeed be SOL.

here is another thread recently where it (premium connectivity) was removed.

Lost premium connectivity...? Help!

Even though on the website it says "for the life of the car" in one spot, AND *cars sold used after jan 9th 2020 basically dont apply.

So, it seems to me that if I were selling a tesla I would NOT be telling people that they got free premium connectivity, so I would not have to deal with the buyer telling me I lied to them if tesla removes it.

Thats what I was talking about when I said "that asterisk is vague". If I had to guess, it would be (and this is just a guess, I dont have any additional insight even though I am a mod at TMC), that tesla left that vague on purpose.

They likely intended it to be "the free lifetime transferrable premium connectivity gravy train stops on january 9th 2020", but left it vague so that it was not picked up like that among EV following websites.

You might be able to escalate this, but I am not currently sure how you would go about doing that (or whether that is worth it to you for $120 a year). I would say that it was "misleading, even on teslas own website", but they do have that "asterisk" there where they say sales of used cars after X date dont apply. The "insinuation" is that its used cars purchased through tesla, but thats not what they actually say in that line.

But again, they state "stay with the car" for < 2018 vehicles, so it appears you could argue that if you could get someone with some authority to do something. Tesla does a very good job of blocking that "someone with authority" from most of us, though.

this is bs. I ordered just before 7/1/18 to get lifetime connectivity and now I can’t use it as a selling point to sell privately, and the official website says two different contradictory things.

By this logic, they could also take autopilot/FSD from the new owner, which I paid $8k for.