Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free public charging etiquette?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, sadly the day has come.

No more free charging on all Tesco Podpoints from 1st of November…

I’m amazed it’s taken so long. But it’s clearly still subsided at those rates, and should help sort the wheat from the chaff as far as people only using it who really need too.

I’d like to see more places offering subsidised charging in return for shopping.

Join the discussion here:

;)

Reactions: WllXM
My local supermarket has a single podpoint (free) charging station in their car park. (I believe supermarkets are the last place where you can get some free electrons while you shop).

I used to plug in when it was available, fill up my trolley, load my bags and leave with a few nice kW added…

But on the last two instances, the charger was unfortunately occupied by another PHEV.
Of course I’d have no issues if it was a fellow shopper who’d beat me to it. Happened before.
Except, on those two separate occasions, the driver (different each time) was sitting in the car, playing with his phone, to max out the 2h free parking duration I suppose… For all I know they may not have been shopping in the store before at all.

I haven’t confronted the (in my book, indelicate) drivers, but this begs the question : would you have stayed in your car like if it was a supercharger, or like me, do you consider that spot just a perk to be used strictly while shopping inside, and to be left promptly once you have finished the business that brought you there in the first place?

And finally, how would you address this? How could the supermarkets enforce this better as to reward their customers and not some freeloaders?
First come first served, just go there after hours.

Reactions: boombap