Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free roll in car wash mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tested it out in the parking lot before getting the car wash. Worked fine (service, car wash mode, free roll). Get in line, hit car wash mode and then “free roll” is greyed out. Wtf. Jumped the roller twice before I could get it to neutral
Was the vehicle fully stopped with your foot on the brake pedal?

Could the Car Wash Mode Free Roll feature be used to allow the car to be pulled up onto a trailer? (To date this has been a big issue because supposedly damage could be caused according to the manual. Unless the car has broken down with HV battery issues I can't see why you can't just put it in neutral and tow it up onto a trailer anyway.)

Could the Car Wash Mode Free Roll feature be used to allow the car to be pulled up onto a trailer? (To date this has been a big issue because supposedly damage could be caused according to the manual. Unless the car has broken down with HV battery issues I can't see why you can't just put it in neutral and tow it up onto a trailer anyway.)
Use transport mode as instructed in the owner’s manual.

“To activate Transport Mode:

1. Ensure Model Y is in Park.
  2. Chock the tires or make sure Model Y is secure.
  3. Press and hold the brake pedal, then on the touchscreen, touch Controls > Service > Towing. The touchscreen displays a message reminding you how to properly transport Model Y.
  4. Press and hold the Transport Mode button until it turns blue. Model Y is now free-rolling and can slowly be rolled (no faster than walking speed) or winched.
To cancel Transport Mode, shift Model Y into Park.”

Source: Model Y Owner’s Manual - Transport Mode

Use transport mode as instructed in the owner’s manual.

“To activate Transport Mode:

1. Ensure Model Y is in Park.
  2. Chock the tires or make sure Model Y is secure.
  3. Press and hold the brake pedal, then on the touchscreen, touch Controls > Service > Towing. The touchscreen displays a message reminding you how to properly transport Model Y.
  4. Press and hold the Transport Mode button until it turns blue. Model Y is now free-rolling and can slowly be rolled (no faster than walking speed) or winched.
To cancel Transport Mode, shift Model Y into Park.”

Source: Model Y Owner’s Manual - Transport Mode
Thanks for that. I think I must have conflated the issue with the 12v failure problem that apparently means Transport Mode won't work.

I’ve owned my model 3 since Jan 2021. I’ve only washed the car twice. The first time was a disaster so i didn’t want to go back. Then came ‘Car Wash Mode’. So I tried it out in a parking lot. Read everything carefully and everything looked good. I coukd feel that the car was in free roll.

At the car wash i put it in car wash mode. They couldn’t move the car so i drove it in. Somehow it wasn’t in free roll. Do I have to leave a key in the car? Anyway i’m going backwards not forward.

I agree that Car Wash mode is a pain. The process is:
1. Car icon​
2. Service​
3. Car Wash Mode​
4. acknowledge​
5. free roll​
And your foot has to be on the brake in order to do the last step. Kachunk kachunk kachunk as the rollers bang under the tires until the brake is pressed...

The worst bit is that when pressing the Exit Car Wash Mode button afterwards, it leaves the car in Neutral. So have to press the brake, set to Drive, then go. Always worried that car behind me will plow into me.

Sadly, this is one instance where an ICE car exceeds a Tesla. Drive to Neutral, car wash, Neutral to Drive. No fancy footwork required.

There should be one button on my MYLR to do all of these steps. ;)

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

Since the Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual has no information on using Car Wash Mode I found this Youtube video helpful.

I agree that Car Wash mode is a pain. The process is:
1. Car icon​
2. Service​
3. Car Wash Mode​
4. acknowledge​
5. free roll​
And your foot has to be on the brake in order to do the last step. Kachunk kachunk kachunk as the rollers bang under the tires until the brake is pressed...

The worst bit is that when pressing the Exit Car Wash Mode button afterwards, it leaves the car in Neutral. So have to press the brake, set to Drive, then go. Always worried that car behind me will plow into me.

Sadly, this is one instance where an ICE car exceeds a Tesla. Drive to Neutral, car wash, Neutral to Drive. No fancy footwork required.

There should be one button on my MYLR to do all of these steps. ;)

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021
So you have to stay in the car? If I put it in ‘car wash mode’ and walk away none of the required extra sreps happen. If I walk away the charge port will open, the mirrors will do whatever, i’ll probably forget the wipers, etc. So I have to stay with the car?

So you have to stay in the car? If I put it in ‘car wash mode’ and walk away none of the required extra sreps happen. If I walk away the charge port will open, the mirrors will do whatever, i’ll probably forget the wipers, etc. So I have to stay with the car?
To engage Car Wash mode you must first be in Park. You want to use Car Wash mode because it will close all windows, disables the windshield wipers, locks the charging port. Car Wash mode also disables the vehicle parking sensors so that you won't hear a stream of beeps as the brushes move over the vehicle. If the car wash is the type where the vehicle remains in Park while the water and brushes move over the vehicle you don't need to do anything else while you stay in the vehicle. Also, useful when washing the Tesla vehicle at home, Sentry mode and the automated door locks are also disabled so you don't get locked out of the vehicle. After the car wash finishes you press the Exit Car Wash mode button or you can just shift from Park to Drive and the Tesla vehicle will exit Car Wash Mode as soon as the vehicle speed hits 10 MPH. Very simple.

Once in Car Wash Mode, if the car wash is the type where you remain in the vehicle as it is pulled along a conveyor the Free Roll option within Car Wash mode will shift to Neutral and prevents the parking brake from automatically activating if unbuckle your seat belt and move around in your seat or open the door to exit the vehicle. To select the Free Roll option you must be in Drive with you foot on the brake, i.e. the Tesla vehicle is fully stopped or moving at less than 1 MPH. (Be sure you don't press too hard on the brake pedal as that activate the Brake Hold function.) As you exit the car wash you need to press the Exit Car Wash Mode button on the screen and all settings return to their previous settings. As you were required to be in Drive when you selected Free Roll then the vehicle should resume in Drive without first having to shift from Park to Drive.

With some types of full service automated conveyor car washes you must exit the vehicle at the beginning of the car wash. A car wash employee enters the vehicle at the end of the wash cycle to wash the inside of the windows and wipe down the interior. This is type of full service car wash is problematic with the Tesla vehicle (even if you use Free Roll option) as the car wash employee will need to know how to shift the vehicle to Drive so they can drive the vehicle out of the car wash at the end and parks the vehicle. Without further information I would say this type of full service drive through conveyor car wash should be avoided as in most cases the car wash employee will not know how to operate the Tesla vehicle; how to exit Car Wash mode or how to shift from Neutral into Drive.

Last edited:

At my car wash, everyone stays in the car. I live in a small town and this is the only car wash in town (other than the one down at the Chevron station by the highway).

It only takes a minute to go through (there are rollers on a conveyer-belt tread that pull the cars through the wash). I think that if this car wash was down the street from the Tesla software team, they'd see how silly the multi-step process is in a Tesla and have the software folks fix it. :)

1655566728250.png
1655566828567.png
1655567013255.png
1655567069325.png
1655567331102.png

Scott

--

Reactions: Joe Schmoe88
Each and every time I have used car wash mode the car went into free roll on its own without me having to do anything but push the car wash mode button and then step on the brake and go into neutral.

If I've read your comment correctly: If you are manually putting in car in Neutral, that is the same as the free roll button putting the car in neutral. So a level-switch instead of a button-press. But still the same number of 5 steps.

Scott

--

To engage Car Wash mode you must first be in Park. You want to use Car Wash mode because it will close all windows, disables the windshield wipers, locks the charging port. Car Wash mode also disables the vehicle parking sensors so that you won't hear a stream of beeps as the brushes move over the vehicle. If the car wash is the type where the vehicle remains in Park while the water and brushes move over the vehicle you don't need to do anything else while you stay in the vehicle. Also, useful when washing the Tesla vehicle at home, Sentry mode and the automated door locks are also disabled so you don't get locked out of the vehicle. After the car wash finishes you press the Exit Car Wash mode button or you can just shift from Park to Drive and the Tesla vehicle will exit Car Wash Mode as soon as the vehicle speed hits 10 MPH. Very simple.

Once in Car Wash Mode, if the car wash is the type where you remain in the vehicle as it is pulled along a conveyor the Free Roll option within Car Wash mode will shift to Neutral and prevents the parking brake from automatically activating if unbuckle your seat belt and move around in your seat or open the door to exit the vehicle. To select the Free Roll option you must be in Drive with you foot on the brake, i.e. the Tesla vehicle is fully stopped or moving at less than 1 MPH. (Be sure you don't press too hard on the brake pedal as that activate the Brake Hold function.) As you exit the car wash you need to press the Exit Car Wash Mode button on the screen and all settings return to their previous settings. As you were required to be in Drive when you selected Free Roll then the vehicle should resume in Drive without first having to shift from Park to Drive.

With some types of full service automated conveyor car washes you must exit the vehicle at the beginning of the car wash. A car wash employee enters the vehicle at the end of the wash cycle to wash the inside of the windows and wipe down the interior. This is type of full service car wash is problematic with the Tesla vehicle (even if you use Free Roll option) as the car wash employee will need to know how to shift the vehicle to Drive so they can drive the vehicle out of the car wash at the end and parks the vehicle. Without further information I would say this type of full service drive through conveyor car wash should be avoided as in most cases the car wash employee will not know how to operate the Tesla vehicle; how to exit Car Wash mode or how to shift from Neutral into Drive.
You do not have to be in park to engage car wash mode. I pull up to the sensor gate, foot on brake, select “service”, “car wash mode” and pull forward. Just don’t go over 10mph when pulling up to belt. I manually select neutral when I get on belt, but you could also select “free roll”. There is also a “fold mirrors” button that I select from the car wash mode screen. Easy peasy.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
Prior to Car Wash mode being released you could set the mirrors to automatically fold whenever the vehicle is at the Car Wash location. I assume this option still exists.

It seems to be 3 taps to enter Car Wash mode and one additional tap to engage Free Roll when using a car wash with a conveyor. One tap at the end to exit Car Wash mode.

1) Drive up to the kiosk or start of the conveyor.

2) Select Vehicle Settings =>Service Settings=Car Wash Mode

3) Follow the attendant's instructions for pulling forward a few feet then shifting the Tesla vehicle into Neutral (you can either shift to Neutral using a half shift up or down on the shift lever or else select Free Roll from the Car Wash Mode menu. (Note that the vehicle must be in Drive and stopped (but not with Brake Hold activated) or moving at under 1 MPH to be able to activate Free Roll from the Car Wash Mode menu.)

4) At the end of the car wash cycle, tap the Exit Car Wash mode button on the Car Wash Mode menu. The Tesla vehicle should go back into Drive so you can exit the car wash.

Reactions: csrpenfab
So at my full service car wash I want in the interior cleaned. This requires that I drive into the car wash to where I order the service wanted. At that point someone has to move the car to where they will do the interior. Inhave to get out so that they can clean everything. When complete (could take up to 15 minutes) someone must move the car to the conveyor to wash the exterior, when that is complete the car needs to be driven to the final cleaning position. So i’d hoped I could set the car into ‘car wash mode’ walk away for about 30 minutes and come back to pick up a clean car. What I believe I’m hearing here is that that is not possible nor is that what is meant by ‘car wash mode’. if I don’t stay with the car I need to leave a key in the car, make sure the charge port os disabled, the wipers are off, that they will put it in nuetral, etc.

So with my old car I could walk away for about 30 minutes and then come back to a clean car. With the Tesla I have to stay with the car ready to do what is needed for 30 minutes?

Also once the car is in free roll mode can I still drive it below 10mpr to get it unto the rollers?

PS thanks for helping to clarify this.

So at my full service car wash I want in the interior cleaned. This requires that I drive into the car wash to where I order the service wanted. At that point someone has to move the car to where they will do the interior. Inhave to get out so that they can clean everything. When complete (could take up to 15 minutes) someone must move the car to the conveyor to wash the exterior, when that is complete the car needs to be driven to the final cleaning position. So i’d hoped I could set the car into ‘car wash mode’ walk away for about 30 minutes and come back to pick up a clean car. What I believe I’m hearing here is that that is not possible nor is that what is meant by ‘car wash mode’. if I don’t stay with the car I need to leave a key in the car, make sure the charge port os disabled, the wipers are off, that they will put it in nuetral, etc.

So with my old car I could walk away for about 30 minutes and then come back to a clean car. With the Tesla I have to stay with the car ready to do what is needed for 30 minutes?

Also once the car is in free roll mode can I still drive it below 10mpr to get it unto the rollers?

PS thanks for helping to clarify this.
You could leave the Tesla Model Y in Car Wash Mode and exit the vehicle. As long as whomever moves the vehicle remains under 10 MPH Car Wash Mode will remain active. The issue is that when driving onto the rollers the car wash team member won't know how to engage either neutral using the shift lever or activate Free Roll on the Car Wash Mode screen.

You have to drive onto the rollers, then with the vehicle moving at under 1 MPH press the Free Roll button on the screen or else shift to neutral using the shift lever (not easy to do without practice or when expected to be able to do this in the moment.)