Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free super charging for California wildfires. Nice!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got this message from Tesla today while super charging. Thanks Tesla! Which car company can do this?
20181110_151947.jpg

Someone will have to explain to me how this is in any way helpful.

Would be an interesting disaster relief tactic to have rapidly-deployed mobile supercharger sites (think flatbeds) for when EVs are as prevalent as gas vehicles and emergency crews need transport in crap environments where even breathing is challenged.

No easy solution to the gridlock on PCH now that the entire city of Malibu has been evacuated, other than what they've already done (zero traffic in, 4-5 lanes out in both directions).

Hey, free supercharging during disasters and unlocking those cars that could be for the East Coast hurricane, along with challenging all employees and management to leverage vehicles for assistance, is still collectively more than any other manufacturer has done.

But there is surely work to be done here from any angle, be it mass evacuation, transport of people or supplies, or, here's a novel idea, having optimal plans worked out in advance.

Reactions: Ampster
My take on not charging a fee at the superchargers for people in that area is that if they are evacuating they probably left with little...people given maybe 5 minutes notice in some cases, and may find out if they return that their homes with everything in it have burned down and/or their place of employment maybe be gone with no source of income ahead. Sure it’s a small amount for most people in supercharging fees, but it’s something Tesla can do to and gives those affected one less thing to pay for when the charge card bill comes due and they have food and lodging concerns. As we know, those gasguzzling big SUVs and pickup trucks are going to cost those families a big chunk of $s on refilling. I do think Elon and team care in general and want to make this a better world we live in. They’ve shown it in many ways in the past when disasters have struck. Ultimately it’s nice goodwill from the company in a time of panic for most.

I'm sure they mean well, but this seems counterproductive. No one who really needs to charge in an emergency situation will be deterred by a few dollars, but on the other hand this might draw some cheapskates to hog chargers only to save a few bucks while others may need them more urgently ...

For all the folks with free supercharging that head to the superchargers instead of charging at home, I'm sure someone who has paid supercharging would try to sit in their garage a few extra minutes to get a lower priced charge instead of getting out of harms way.

Thanks, Elon. I don't expect to use, but if the emergency arises - nice to know it's there. Sister - lives in Panama City - and one of the hardest things was access to bank accounts and cash - communication loss prevented credit card use. So every little bit that makes things easier is appreciated.

Tesla is trying to help people who may have lost everything they own except their car and their lives. I fail to understand your skepticism.
Someone will have to explain to me how this is in any way helpful.
Not sure how making supercharger free is going to help anyone running away from fires?

I believe musk is really doing these things with all the best intentions.

Even if he wasn't, as a stock holder, I love it. The only amount of "advertising" that they do and still it's a drop in the bucket compared to the other guys ad budget.

That and it's zero percent annoying. I hate the Honda random acts of kindness because it's annoying (not the kindest part). And the Chevy JD awards are beyond corny (with no charitable traits).

This is exactly why Tesla is so special. I applaud it. It’s not much, but it shows they care. Is Shell, Exxon, 76, Mobil giving out free gas for evacuees? Nope!

Right. If you think about it, the most good in these disasters would be for oil companies to give free gas or at least send tankers to replenish stations non-stop so people can drive out of harms way but don't see that.