Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free supercharger miles expiration?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought that free supercharger miles earned by using a referral link when purchasing your Tesla expired after 12 months? However, I bought my car early September 2020 and noticed today that the "Loot" box in the Android app no longer shows any mention of miles (or kWh) remaining. I can see from my usage history on Tesla's website that I should have 280kWh remaining. This makes me wonder if they have in fact expired after six months? Annoying if so as I could have used 'em if I'd realised!

Same happened to me on 7th March, exactly six months after collecting the car from Southampton docks.
I used a referral to get the 1000 miles but only managed to use 500 of them due to limited lockdown driving :(
I was hoping to use most of them over Xmas - but there's wasn't a normal Xmas last year.

Same just happened to me last week after picking up my M3LR at Southampton docks last September. Had 480 miles still to use but managed at the last minute to use another 100 by going out of my way to the SCs at Norton Park and Havant. My requests to Tesla to extend the expiration date due to lockdown fell on deaf ears!

Explain this anomaly - i had a referral on 25th September 2020 and the miles were duly added to my loot box, with an expiry date of 24th September 2021, i still have 600 left. I'm going to see what happens to the dates as i have 2 more referrals on the way

Each additional referral extends the expiry by 6 months. Sounds like you had a referral you were possibly not aware of. Also, at one point, a 'lockdown adjustment' may have been applied but not with any consistency it seems. COVID - Referral Extension
Just read and re-read this on the Tesla site:

• Free Supercharging miles will apply to any vehicles on the same account and will expire 6 months after the miles are added. If all mileage on an account is used before expiration, the expiration date for the next referral is reset to 6 months.

So if I pick up two referrals within a week, the 2000 miles can be used for up to 12 months, half of them won't expire after 6 months?

I think they just keep adding cumulatively. I've had a few referrals, used less than 2000m but the end date still shows as the same & each new one extends by 6 months.

Each time a referral appears I take a screenshot of the loot box so I have proof of the end date.... not that Tesla seem to take much notice of 'proof' in other circumstances.

Reactions: Medved_77
I picked my car up on the 25th Sept 2020 so I expect any free miles left will run out imminently. I am going into the office tomorrow (25th March) for the first time in just over a year and was planning to detour to the SUC in Leeds on the way home for one last blast of free juice (have ran my SoC down lower than normal for this purpose). But reading the above posts am I right in thinking for me it will run out midnight 24th March or will I still be able to get free miles on the 25th. Don't particularly want to detour and then have to pay for the miles when I can charge cheaper at home/locally.

As a 3rd party lease car I have nothing in the loot box that says when it runs out, just the info in the account history showing how much free miles I have left.

A question for anyone who has changed Teslas - are supercharger miles locked to the car or the account?

At the rate I'm able to use them, it's unlikely that I will see the benefit with this car if I change to a Model Y in (maybe) 2023 but my loot box already extends beyond that date (if anyone wonders why, my Daughters Model X has unlimited supercharging, she already gained the black alloy upgrade, 3 Tesla home chargers and a child's sit-on Tesla so she sends new referrals to me. Her car is on the Turo scheme so a lot of people try it out before ordering).

Last edited:
So I was expecting my
I picked my car up on the 25th Sept 2020 so I expect any free miles left will run out imminently. I am going into the office tomorrow (25th March) for the first time in just over a year and was planning to detour to the SUC in Leeds on the way home for one last blast of free juice (have ran my SoC down lower than normal for this purpose). But reading the above posts am I right in thinking for me it will run out midnight 24th March or will I still be able to get free miles on the 25th. Don't particularly want to detour and then have to pay for the miles when I can charge cheaper at home/locally.

As a 3rd party lease car I have nothing in the loot box that says when it runs out, just the info in the account history showing how much free miles I have left.
on the way back from a trip to Cleethorpes to visit the outlaws yesterday called in at Leeds SuC for a top up and was fully expecting to be charged for the pleasure. To my surprise having checked my charging history this morning in my tesla account it is still using the referral miles (even though my 6 months was up in March). No one has used my referral code, so not sure what is going on but certainly not complaining and I will not be raising with Tesla :)

For others who might think their referral miles have expired it may be worth giving it a go on a SuC you may be lucky like me.

Reactions: SR-Plus and Irata
So I was expecting my

on the way back from a trip to Cleethorpes to visit the outlaws yesterday called in at Leeds SuC for a top up and was fully expecting to be charged for the pleasure. To my surprise having checked my charging history this morning in my tesla account it is still using the referral miles (even though my 6 months was up in March). No one has used my referral code, so not sure what is going on but certainly not complaining and I will not be raising with Tesla :)

For others who might think their referral miles have expired it may be worth giving it a go on a SuC you may be lucky like me.
I had some middle of last year from a referral and they don't expire until June which is probably 12 months. Didn't they extend them due to Covid or something? Sadly I still probably won't get to use them all. Mine do show in the loot box though

Others above suggest that there referrals ran out after 6 months of taking delivery of the car (when taking delivery in Sept 2020).

I wonder if the referral is applied at order date, rather than delivery date. I ordered my car at the end of early June when it looks like they were extending the referral scheme to 12 months (due to Covid). So I ordered in june with a 12 month referral period starting in Sept (when I took delivery). For people who ordered closer to their Sept delivery date possible by then Tesla may have reverted back to the 6 month referral period, so they ordered and collected in Sept, so only 6 months referral period was applied.

A question for anyone who has changed Teslas - are supercharger miles locked to the car or the account?

At the rate I'm able to use them, it's unlikely that I will see the benefit with this car if I change to a Model Y in (maybe) 2023 but my loot box already extends beyond that date (if anyone wonders why, my Daughters Model X has unlimited supercharging, she already gained the black alloy upgrade, 3 Tesla home chargers and a child's sit-on Tesla so she sends new referrals to me. Her car is on the Turo scheme so a lot of people try it out before ordering).

I sold my M3LR in March, I still have 1400 miles showing in my loot box but I can't see an expiry date (iirc it was September '21) - now that I don't "have a product" the details in the account and app are very sparse. I'll update you know once I get the new car.....

Reactions: Drew57