Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Supercharger Miles inaccurate deduction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I just used a supercharger for the first time after receiving my M3 yesterday. I was plugged in for about 10 min, and the car said it added 63 miles, and my Tesla account says the car received 16kWh.

My "Loot Box" however now says I have 4800 free miles remaining, from the 5000 free miles I had previously from the referral. So it deducted exactly 200 miles, even though the car itself only received 63 miles.

What's up with that? Thx!

Hmmm ... not a conspiracy buff but the numbers are interesting.

The normal calculation for those with 1000 mile annual free charging is 2.5 kW/mile. (400 kW ~ 1000 miles) You're being charged 12.5 kW/mi, five times the standard figure. (16 kw ~ 200 miles & 18 kW ~ 225 miles both to work out to 12.5 kW/mi) 5000 free miles is also five times the 'normal' free miles.

Might want to ask the service center how they calculate the free miles.

That's really odd, it's the opposite of my own experience and others I've spoken to. The dozen or so times that I've supercharged I've only been deducted about 60% of the miles that I actually charged compared to the rated efficiency (240Wh/mi).

Hmmm ... not a conspiracy buff but the numbers are interesting.

The normal calculation for those with 1000 mile annual free charging is 2.5 kW/mile. (400 kW ~ 1000 miles) You're being charged 12.5 kW/mi, five times the standard figure. (16 kw ~ 200 miles & 18 kW ~ 225 miles both to work out to 12.5 kW/mi) 5000 free miles is also five times the 'normal' free miles.

Might want to ask the service center how they calculate the free miles.
You may be on to something here....

Reactions: Leafdriver333
Hello,

I just used a supercharger for the first time after receiving my M3 yesterday. I was plugged in for about 10 min, and the car said it added 63 miles, and my Tesla account says the car received 16kWh.

My "Loot Box" however now says I have 4800 free miles remaining, from the 5000 free miles I had previously from the referral. So it deducted exactly 200 miles, even though the car itself only received 63 miles.

What's up with that? Thx!

Just had the exact same experience. Went from about 60 miles left to 280 (so 220 miles). My balance dropped from 5,000 to 4,325 (675 miles).

That’s triple the rate...

Just had the exact same experience. Went from about 60 miles left to 280 (so 220 miles). My balance dropped from 5,000 to 4,325 (675 miles).

That’s triple the rate...

Let me guess, your Tesla Account shows the car received 54kWh for that charge?

I emailed my delivery guy who then emailed Tesla Referral Program folks. I'll update this thread when I get a response! karn101, you might want to send out the same email for your situation.

Here's the email address:

[email protected]

I had the exact same issue today when I took my new M3 to a supercharging station for the first time. I charged around 120miles, but I got a 312 miles deduction from my account. Can't find any description about how they calculate the miles, but I think it is NOT OKAY if they advertised 5,000 free miles in the meantime calculate miles differently.

Same thing here. Picked up new M3LR on Thursday. Decided to test the Supercharger yesterday (Saturday 6/8/19). Car was 59% full to start. Online Tesla account says 24 kWh were added but 300 miles were deducted from the "Loot Box"?! There was no possible way that 300 miles could have been added to the car. Best guess is that around 100 miles were added = 3X surcharge on the Free Supercharger Miles?! Not sure how to resolve this...

... Online Tesla account says 24 kWh were added but 300 miles were deducted from the "Loot Box"?! There was no possible way that 300 miles could have been added to the car. ... Not sure how to resolve this...

That's another 'vote' for 12.5 kW/mile rather than the standard 2.5 kW/mi. My guess is somebody at Tesla made a math error. Once enough people point it out, they should fix it.

Contact your delivery agent or call the service center and ask for a delivery manager.

I have emailed my owner advisor and ask her help to correct the mistake.

21 kwh for 262 miles is not correct.

Attachments

• supercharge1.PNG
    supercharge1.PNG
    8.6 KB · Views: 264
  • Screenshot_20190609-222141_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20190609-222141_Tesla.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 105
Let me guess, your Tesla Account shows the car received 54kWh for that charge?

I emailed my delivery guy who then emailed Tesla Referral Program folks. I'll update this thread when I get a response! karn101, you might want to send out the same email for your situation.

Here's the email address:

[email protected]

Yep, you were spot on. 54kWh.

I sent an email out to [email protected]. I'll send another one to this email as well.

This happened to me too. I emailed support. Here is what is happening. The supercharger credit is actually a kwh credit. Someone on the subreddit calculated that 5000 miles = 2000 kwh. Thereore 1000 miles = 400 kwh. The deduction is being calculated off of the non-bonus amount and then applied to the bonus amount. In my situation I charged 10 kwh and got by bonus deducted by 125 miles. Here's the math:

10 kwh / 400 kwh = .025

.025 x 5000 miles = 125 miles.

This math works out for everyone else's deductions as well.

Seems like their fix for people not getting the 5000 miles credit was just to multiply the standard bonus by 5 on the app and not change the back end math.