Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free supercharger strikes again!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I fully appreciate that the monetary savings of free supercharging do not justify buying a new Tesla when one doesn't really need to, I can't deny the psychological appeal of free supercharging. There's something about tooling around the country knowing that it's free that makes me almost giddy. Despite what Musk tweeted, I can't believe that Tesla will never again use free supercharging as a demand lever. It's just too strong a motivator not to.

As a Tesla investor, I am glad you got suckered into this promotion. As a fellow Tesla owner, I think you are nuts to get suckered into this promotion.

You could've gone with a Model 3 Performance for cheaper and still get unlimited supercharging. The unlimited supercharging really isn't worth that much to most people but maybe you have a special use case for it.

It has happened before and it could happen again (and you already experienced it) - By end of December they bring back free unlimited supercharging as demand lever.

I thought about getting the M3P and test drove it, but despite the good handling and nice acceleration, it's just too barebones for me.

The reality is my current X75D takes longer to charge than an X100D which prevents us from using it for road trips. We went to Yellowstone (2200-mile roundtrip) last month and had to use a ICE minivan because I didn't want others in our group to wait too long for my 75D to charge. In that sense, my new 100D will be an appreciated upgrade for longer road trips, which the free SC will come into play. I know that I'm just trying to justify it and the 75D works for lots of -patient- people on long road trips too. Like others have noted, the psychology of free is a powerful one - just plug in and forget it. I live quite far from a SC and do have solar at home so no special use case besides road trips. And here I thought free supercharging is worth it :)

Reactions: Kacey Green
Just before free supercharging for life ended, I added another Tesla to my fleet. My current black outside white inside Model X will be joined by a white outside black inside Model X. The Roadster won't come until 2020 and I'm still deciding if I want to keep the Model 3.
tesla.jpg

I placed my first Model X on 12/31/2016 because free supercharging was ending 1/15/2017. I just placed an order for a second (not needed) Model X because well, free supercharger is ending today. I feel a bit sick with the combined car monthly payments being higher than home mortgage, but supposedly free SC will not be coming back ever, or at least until Tesla needs to drum up more sales. Did anyone else get "suckered" into a second Tesla solely for the free SC? I thought about getting an S instead of a second X, but the X is so much more comfy. I have 3 days to change my mind and wait for the 2020 BMW.

You must do a LOT of supercharging to spend $100K on a car you didn't even need!

Free charging is only reverent if you are a traveler. Ive been in over 20 states, and make a run to DC every other month.
City folks that go on vacation once a year dont care about a $5 charge.
There are many reasons to buy an EV. But, that said, all so far and near future are just city cars. Example, Bolt just went 2000 miles, took 16 days to charge it. Audi introduced a $80k suv, takes 9 hours to charge, where?
I installed solar panels to cut the cost of home charging.

Free super charging ending as in really ending?

Pinkie swear ending or “funding secured” ending?

Tesla probably needs to maintain FUSC to move S and X until the redesign.

How to lever it until then and still maintain end of Q pushes. That is a hard one.

The ultimate way to solve this is FUSC but free is geofenced to outside a 25-50 mile radius of home area.

@NikeWings I hurled chunks looking at John Chow's collection above. I'm trying to convince the wife to let me order the roadster. Sold if it comes with free supercharging haha.

HAHAHA you're killing me! If she's not interested, then I'll give you $50 per month and take the car, OK?

And why not diversify and get an S with free SCing instead of 2 Xs. Oh man, every morning is a gift when deciding which to ride and their personalities are so different. No better way to start the work day. And you can still have your free SC. :rolleyes: (seriously love my S more than my X)

Reactions: pilotSteve