Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Superchargering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Has anyone who has purchased a model 3 in the uk hit their limit of ‘6 months free Supercharging’?

I purchased mine in August so I am coming up to that period but have not heard anything about this coming to an end. I still have over 8000 free miles to us!

Thanks

You are lucky in the UK you have 6 mo of free supercharging, we do not have that in Switzerland. in any case, how often do you supercharge anyway?

Tesla were upping the 1000 to 5000 when I ordered. I only Supercharger when I need to, but obviously since it’s free I’m trying to use as many miles as possible. I’ve only charged at home 6 times since August!

I am using this as compensation as Tesla still haven’t payed back my £1000 deposit because I’m leasing!

I only Supercharger when I need to, but obviously since it’s free I’m trying to use as many miles as possible. I’ve only charged at home 6 times since August!

Supercharging has its downsides in terms of battery health so best to do it when you really need to rather than as a matter of cost saving. Bjorn Nyland has done more than most will ever do and has some interesting observations based on real use:

Reactions: Roy W.
Supercharging has its downsides in terms of battery health so best to do it when you really need to rather than as a matter of cost saving. Bjorn Nyland has done more than most will ever do and has some interesting observations based on real use:
Thanks, informative video.

I do 150miles a day and I am still waiting for my home charger so have no option but to use superchargers. A full charge of 310 miles means I get home with around 60miles s left doing some spirited driving. The M3 has already warned me about overcharging..... So I am getting concerned about battery life...

Thanks, informative video.

I do 150miles a day and I am still waiting for my home charger so have no option but to use superchargers. A full charge of 310 miles means I get home with around 60miles s left doing some spirited driving. The M3 has already warned me about overcharging..... So I am getting concerned about battery life...
Filling to 100% has other issues, whether supercharging or not. max 90% with occasional 100% if using it straight away, should be fine.

My first MS had free supercharging. I have a supercharger 15 minutes drive away and made a point of using it almost continuously. During the three years that I had it the 100% charge, which I did every couple of months prior to a regular long journey, showed a reduction of less than 2% and most of that was in the first 12 months.

I thought I read somewhere on the Tesla site that they recommended Supercharging?

No they don't.

If you intend on keeping the car longterm only DC Supecharge when you need to on long trips.

The Model 3 has intheroy better batteries than S/X, but up until 6 months ago everyone (including Tesla), thought the original 85 packs was infallible, and now we have some owners not been able to charge at 50KW.

Infact when I last looked at DC Supercharger cap on the 3 in November no one had reported it, not even heavy mileage US owners.

We know Tesla cap the DC charge rates on all current and past S/X cars, 60,70,75,85,90,100 all packs gets reduced Supercharging rate a certain amount of Rapidcharging.

It now looks the 3 pack is effected or so, but to what extent is still an unknown.

My first MS had free supercharging. I have a supercharger 15 minutes drive away and made a point of using it almost continuously. During the three years that I had it the 100% charge, which I did every couple of months prior to a regular long journey, showed a reduction of less than 2% and most of that was in the first 12 months.

I bet you the current owner of your old car is seeing fare more degredation and capped SC speeds.

The majority of cars on UK roads are over 7 years old, if EVs are truly going to be the future than their battery packs need to last better than how many 2013/4 85 packs are performing :(.

The majority of cars on UK roads are over 7 years old, if EVs are truly going to be the future than their battery packs need to last better than how many 2013/4 85 packs are performing :(.

I've not seen any data, but I'd guess that the people driving over 150 miles/week are the ones who tend to buy newer cars, and lots of the 7 year+ vehicles don't see regular heavy use - but it will be interesting to see how older EVs are valued.