Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Supercharging across the Channel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn't it a bit nuts that the two Supercharger locations either side of the Channel are exclusive to Le Shuttle customers? :(

EDIT - Ah, it looks like there are two Supercharger locations in Calais; one outside the Eurotunnel restricted access area. But no Superchargers for Dover ferry users on the UK side?

Last edited:
It's a bit tight for big Teslas on Le Shuttle, n'est-ce pas?

Actually, shot myself in the foot there, I've only taken ICE on Shuttle :eek:

I can be tight too, but we like Premium (or whatever it is called) on Shuttle. Rock up, bypass all the queues, no waiting for specific crossing, onto the very next train, board first (so first off), and there is a drive-through (or lounge if you also need a pee etc.) where they give you a complete set of munchies, drinks and a paper ... in fact I'm not sure how they profit from the price difference ... at peak times its only a few quid more.

Completely at odds with stop-and-charge though ...

I looked up some stats and marginally more cars cross by ferry than Le Shuttle (2.8 v.s. 2.6 million annually).

At least there is an unrestricted Supercharging station in Calais as well as the Le Shuttle-only one, but I am very puzzled why there isn't one in Dover.

Yes. Tested it last summer. Works a treat.

The French superchargers I found were all co-located with hotels, so there's always somewhere to get a bite to eat too.

(Just remember to turn tilt/intrusion sensors off and put the car into Jack mode on the ferry!)

You don't need to put it into jack mode on the ferry, just disable the alarm, which otherwise goes off due to ferry movement. As I understand it, air suspension adjusts a single wheel height when one wheel is deflected in relation to another. The sensors are usually on the anti-roll bar. So rolling of the ferry wouldn't do anything. It doesn't level to the horizontal when you go up a hill or park on a sideways slope!

You don't need to put it into jack mode on the ferry, just disable the alarm, which otherwise goes off due to ferry movement. As I understand it, air suspension adjusts a single wheel height when one wheel is deflected in relation to another. The sensors are usually on the anti-roll bar. So rolling of the ferry wouldn't do anything. It doesn't level to the horizontal when you go up a hill or park on a sideways slope!

To be honest we were on an overnight ferry and I was mostly trying to reduce vampire drain by disabling as many sensors as possible, rather than worrying about clearance etc. A secondary consideration was that they were wandering around with tie-down straps and I didn't want the car having a chance of moving when someone was reaching underneath it. So consider "Jack Mode" an overabundance of caution rather than a requirement...