Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free supercharging became enabled; but why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At some point within the last couple days, free supercharging for my RWD Model 3 (with AP+FSD) became enabled. This is reflected in my account, and I wasn't charged for a supercharging session yesterday. Anyone notice the same thing,or have an idea why?

Reactions: araxara
I wouldn't question it. Tesla seems to really not care about their supercharging costs. Others have not been charged for supercharging when they first got their car despite not having any free credits. Others have kept their unlimited supercharging after their free time expired.

Me too! My car is almost a year old and I have no referral credits. I work and drive a lot in South Carolina and we were impacted by a Hurricane last month so I thought it was temporary. But I noticed this week I still wasn’t paying to supercharge so I checked my account and it shows free supercharging. It also showed AUG 29th was the last supercharging session I paid for. I supercharge 2 to 4 times a week depending on travel and it doesn’t even show those sessions as zero charge, it’s as if they never happened. Strange, and I’ll enjoy it while it lasts!

At some point within the last couple days, free supercharging for my RWD Model 3 (with AP+FSD) became enabled. This is reflected in my account, and I wasn't charged for a supercharging session yesterday. Anyone notice the same thing,or have an idea why?

When did you purchase and take delivery of your car?
It is possible it qualified for the mid to late Sept 2019 push where they offered 2 Free Years Supercharging for cars delivered before end of month.
It only started 9/12/19 or right around there and was only supposed to be for orders placed on that day or after that take delivery by 9/31/19.
Was a tight window, but thousands got this deal.
If you meet those dates, you have your answer and it should be free for 2 years
If you were before those dates, you may just be lucky or might have been close enough that they grandfathered your order in.

Funny, I got free Supercharging as part of my purchase and it showed it on my account for 10 months, then poof, gone. My account page updated to say that I now have paid Supercharging. I wrote a nice letter to service within my account page. A few days later I got an apology and my account was back to normal with free Supercharging.

I then pressed my luck and asked about the free wall charger (that I never received) I earned based on self-referring, and a week passed and I got another apology and that they were putting $500 on my account to do what I want with it. Since I have used the mobile cable to my 50 amp connection since my Model S days, I don't really need the wall charger, and now I have $500 for service/something else.

So log in to your account and ping Tesla about it. They were great, just give them a few days.

Funny, I got free Supercharging as part of my purchase and it showed it on my account for 10 months, then poof, gone. My account page updated to say that I now have paid Supercharging. I wrote a nice letter to service within my account page. A few days later I got an apology and my account was back to normal with free Supercharging.

I then pressed my luck and asked about the free wall charger (that I never received) I earned based on self-referring, and a week passed and I got another apology and that they were putting $500 on my account to do what I want with it. Since I have used the mobile cable to my 50 amp connection since my Model S days, I don't really need the wall charger, and now I have $500 for service/something else.

So log in to your account and ping Tesla about it. They were great, just give them a few days.

what email did you use?

Last week I got a credit for supercharging, but it was only for, like, nine miles of charging. I never requested a credit, the notification said there was a "billing error" or something.

I got the same notification on my phone app and same credits. A bunch of tiny credits (mostly under a dollar) that added up to about $15 in total. I’m guessing Tesla did some sort of internal audit and found they overcharged for some supercharging sessions. Perhaps this temporary free supercharging is a result of the same situation, maybe they are hoping to generate some goodwill or something.

Same here. Following fight club and slickdeal rule and avoid asking about it. However, I just dropped off my car at service center to recalibrate my cameras and radars and the guy said they were going to change something on the charger to make it better? I’m afraid it’s going to remove whatever I had.

I got the same notification on my phone app and same credits. A bunch of tiny credits (mostly under a dollar) that added up to about $15 in total. I’m guessing Tesla did some sort of internal audit and found they overcharged for some supercharging sessions. Perhaps this temporary free supercharging is a result of the same situation, maybe they are hoping to generate some goodwill or something.

Yes I think it's related too, except I got the refunds and some free SC sessions, but it's random free SC for me.

See "micro" refunds from Tesla for Supercharging?

I would give a lot for free supercharging, another owner I know here on the island has it on his Performance TM3, but there has never been a time when it was offered that I could take advantage of it. There was a time when people were deciding if it was worth spending $2000 on Free Supercharging for Life, in the year and a half I have had the car I have already spent $935.33 in Supercharging and I am a hawk for free places to charge. I would be a bigus pigus if I was handed such a luxury.

Instead, I spent the summer on the roof installing my own solar system. Now I am motivated to get a job at Tesla in the Audit Dept...