Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Supercharging for Performance M3? It will be 3 weeks.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having just taken delivery of one of the first Performance Model 3s, my profile page still indicated pay per use for Supercharging. Called Tesla service and asked about Supercharging, his first response was pay per use, when I reminded him of the latest update, he was completely unaware, took off for a few minutes, and came back with his supervisor telling me it will be 3 weeks until it system wide. So if you have a Performance, you may want to be careful about supercharging until it is deployed

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
I tend to wish that Tesla would drop free Supercharging for everyone. It tends to create bad practices for a lot of folks, as seen by overwhelmed California Superchargers. I just put 1500 miles on the car during a trip and payed about $35 for charging. It is a really small cost and shouldn't even be an issue if you buy a $100k vehicle.
Same here - I wish they would stop with the free supercharging. This way they can take the profits from the supercharging and build more superchargers.

Reactions: MXWing
Same here - I wish they would stop with the free supercharging. This way they can take the profits from the supercharging and build more superchargers.

It’s not a bad trade off when you give the average person 100 bucks in juice a year and entices them to give you 10,000 upfront for a capital infusion.

People make highly irrational decisions to get free things.

Last edited:
It’s not a bad trade off when you give the average person 100 bucks in juice a year and entices them to give you 10,000 upfront for a capital infusion.

People make highly irrational decisions to get free things.

I don't think that's actually how it works. Usually the decision is made first, and the justifications second.

I think most can agree that it's really hard to rationally justify $10K more for a P3D especially as far as we've been told the hardware is identical. The vast majority of the cost to Tesla is likely additional wear due to the increase in power, and stresses on parts. So they likely estimated more warranty cost for a P3D.

I personally don't see any rational decision for the P3D unless someone wants to take it the track. For track purposes I can totally see it fitting what a person might want. It has a track mode, and the initial reports say it tracks pretty good. It still slows down a bit after a few laps, but it looks pretty solid overall.

As a multi-purpose vehicle it helps to have other justification.

The free unlimited supercharging is a good adder. Sure it's no more than $100 or $200 a year. More importantly it's attached to the owner, and not the vehicle. So it won't help resale like it does for grandfathered Model S/X's like I have. I'm absolutely going to use it as a selling point when I do sell my Model S. The free supercharging means more the cheaper the vehicle especially with people who have large commutes.

Probably the biggest justification of the P3D is exclusivity. People simply do not like owning the exact same thing as hundreds of thousands of other people. Or at least I don't.

So how does on differentiate there's versus all the others? Wraps? Body kits? Power? If I do go through getting the Model 3 I'll likely do all of them.

• Informative
Reactions: brianman
just some documentation to go with your post.....

Referral Program

Under FAQ

I am a current owner of a Model 3 Performance. Will I be eligible for free, unlimited Supercharging?
Yes. Existing Model 3 Performance owners will receive free, unlimited Supercharging. Please allow three weeks for the change to be applied to your vehicle account. Existing Model 3 Performance owners will also be able to offer free, unlimited Supercharging with to new Model S, Model X and Model 3 Performance orders.