TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Free Supercharging for Performance M3? It will be 3 weeks.

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Mike_F, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Mike_F

Mike_F Member

Having just taken delivery of one of the first Performance Model 3s, my profile page still indicated pay per use for Supercharging. Called Tesla service and asked about Supercharging, his first response was pay per use, when I reminded him of the latest update, he was completely unaware, took off for a few minutes, and came back with his supervisor telling me it will be 3 weeks until it system wide. So if you have a Performance, you may want to be careful about supercharging until it is deployed

• Informative x 1
  2. Msjulie

Msjulie Active Member

How about auto pilot/summon? I didn't purchase them - wondering if I am in trial mode for those.

3. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Not sure why you’d ‘be careful’. In the past it’s always been retroactive.

• Like x 1
  4. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Well-Known Member

So, do you get lifetime, or one year, or what free supercharging if you buy a performance M3?

5. jdmasters

jdmasters Member

With referral, you get lifetime until Sept 15th. After the 15th, you'll get it for one year.

6. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

I tend to wish that Tesla would drop free Supercharging for everyone. It tends to create bad practices for a lot of folks, as seen by overwhelmed California Superchargers. I just put 1500 miles on the car during a trip and payed about $35 for charging. It is a really small cost and shouldn't even be an issue if you buy a $100k vehicle.

• Like x 5
  7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I appreciate the warning, but if someone can afford a $68,000 Performance Model 3, the few bucks it costs to use a Supercharger is trivial and a small fraction of the cost of gasoline.

8. ryanjm

ryanjm Tesla Podcast Host

Just wanted to corroborate this. I emailed my delivery advisor right after this was announced and he told me the same thing: it should reflect on my account within 3 weeks.

• Informative x 1
  9. sammyfan711

sammyfan711 Member

Same here - I wish they would stop with the free supercharging. This way they can take the profits from the supercharging and build more superchargers.

• Like x 1
  10. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

#10 MXWing, Aug 4, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    It’s not a bad trade off when you give the average person 100 bucks in juice a year and entices them to give you 10,000 upfront for a capital infusion.

People make highly irrational decisions to get free things.

• Like x 2
  11. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Yes - 30 days.

• Like x 1
  12. tambam

tambam Member

I have supercharged with my P3D and while it showed a charge on-screen, no charge actually hit my credit card.

13. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

I don't think that's actually how it works. Usually the decision is made first, and the justifications second.

I think most can agree that it's really hard to rationally justify $10K more for a P3D especially as far as we've been told the hardware is identical. The vast majority of the cost to Tesla is likely additional wear due to the increase in power, and stresses on parts. So they likely estimated more warranty cost for a P3D.

I personally don't see any rational decision for the P3D unless someone wants to take it the track. For track purposes I can totally see it fitting what a person might want. It has a track mode, and the initial reports say it tracks pretty good. It still slows down a bit after a few laps, but it looks pretty solid overall.

As a multi-purpose vehicle it helps to have other justification.

The free unlimited supercharging is a good adder. Sure it's no more than $100 or $200 a year. More importantly it's attached to the owner, and not the vehicle. So it won't help resale like it does for grandfathered Model S/X's like I have. I'm absolutely going to use it as a selling point when I do sell my Model S. The free supercharging means more the cheaper the vehicle especially with people who have large commutes.

Probably the biggest justification of the P3D is exclusivity. People simply do not like owning the exact same thing as hundreds of thousands of other people. Or at least I don't.

So how does on differentiate there's versus all the others? Wraps? Body kits? Power? If I do go through getting the Model 3 I'll likely do all of them.

• Informative x 1
  14. forkee

forkee Member

just some documentation to go with your post.....

Referral Program

Under FAQ

I am a current owner of a Model 3 Performance. Will I be eligible for free, unlimited Supercharging?
    Yes. Existing Model 3 Performance owners will receive free, unlimited Supercharging. Please allow three weeks for the change to be applied to your vehicle account. Existing Model 3 Performance owners will also be able to offer free, unlimited Supercharging with to new Model S, Model X and Model 3 Performance orders.

15. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I tend to wish people would stop wishing for Tesla to violate purchase agreeements.

• Funny x 1