Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free SuperCharging Gone for CPO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the free supercharging option going away for any CPO Model X, I personally don't see a reason to purchase any used vehicle directly from Tesla. Your thoughts?

Calculate the actual value of supercharging and weigh it with every other factor.

Supercharging value is worth even less in situations where you can home charge.

If you can home charge at 20 cents per kw, and supercharging was 60 cents -

100kw of supercharging saved you $20 and not $60.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Don't know about everyone else, but we use the network. One thing keeping me from a trade in for the Raven (ok, maybe the additional cost) is loosing the free supercharging.
Before our Model X, we owned the Model S for about a year and had driven over 29K miles. See below all the supercharge visits just in one year. That's approx $1,100.00 of savings a year.

SC total.JPG

Did you personally generate this data? Impressive numbers. How did you do this?
Don't know about everyone else, but we use the network. One thing keeping me from a trade in for the Raven (ok, maybe the additional cost) is loosing the free supercharging.
Before our Model X, we owned the Model S for about a year and had driven over 29K miles. See below all the supercharge visits just in one year. That's approx $1,100.00 of savings a year.

View attachment 432900

With the free supercharging option going away for any CPO Model X, I personally don't see a reason to purchase any used vehicle directly from Tesla. Your thoughts?

Well you still get the 4yrs/50k miles warranty... But not sure if you can buy the additional warranty when it expires.

I'm pretty bummed out about about. Been on the market for a used model x because of the free supercharging. I had a chance to pull the trigger on one a few weeks ago but decided not to because not sure if I wanted two big car payments. Now I'm kicking myself for not doing it.

You think they bring it back if their cpo sales goes down?

Buying used through Tesla at this point is only worth it for the warranty, and if the vehicle is newer. Paying thousands more for an older Model S through Tesla will likely only carry a 2 year warranty that expire at 100k miles. When you consider they won’t refurbish their used models and now free super charging is gone (which you can still get buying 3rd party) it’s often not worth direct through Tesla.

You really need to look at the cost of that warranty, and analyze if the cost difference compared to other sellers is worth it. Is paying 5-10 grand more worth the peace of mind? Do you think in 2 or 4 years a car will require that many repairs to recoup the cost difference? Tesla and 3rd party warranty sites are betting that they won’t.

I honestly believe this move is a strategy to sell more new vehicles mostly likely for wall street numbers. If so, when they are ready to move used inventory, they will bring it back. Most of the 2016 stock and older can't be used in their Tesla robot fleet so they are depreciating assets. When/If they do bring it back, don't expect it to be the same program as before.

for $5/month or
Well you still get the 4yrs/50k miles warranty... But not sure if you can buy the additional warranty when it expires.

I'm pretty bummed out about about. Been on the market for a used model x because of the free supercharging. I had a chance to pull the trigger on one a few weeks ago but decided not to because not sure if I wanted two big car payments. Now I'm kicking myself for not doing it.

You think they bring it back if their cpo sales goes down?
I was exactly in the same boat. Been looking for an used X for a while. The cost for a custom-ordered X went down nearly 10% (at least for my personal configuration), without free Supercharging for a CPO, buying the car new is the only way to go.

for $5/month or

I was exactly in the same boat. Been looking for an used X for a while. The cost for a custom-ordered X went down nearly 10% (at least for my personal configuration), without free Supercharging for a CPO, buying the car new is the only way to go.

I might still be looking for a used x, but instead of 2016... Might be looking now for a late 2017 early 2018 used x. I know buying new is very tempting, I rather buy a couple years old used x at this time and save a little bit more money by not taking on that depreciation value of a new X.