Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Supercharging is back for NEW Inventory Model S and Model X!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a 2019 S 100D just 8 days ago... today I found out not only do I have the “old” new 2019 model, but Free Supercharging is granted to the same car for buyers from 2 days ago, on.

I also purchased a Model 3 for my wife. I was going to buy a S550 Coupe but someone told me Tesla comes with free supercharging... My delivery agent told me it wasn’t offered anymore and I purchased the 2 cars with that as a fact.

I can only hope Tesla do retro rights to 2019 buyers, as S buyers are still willing to buy even with the fantastic Model 3 available.

I bought a 2019 S 100D just 8 days ago... today I found out not only do I have the “old” new 2019 model, but Free Supercharging is granted to the same car for buyers from 2 days ago, on.

I also purchased a Model 3 for my wife. I was going to buy a S550 Coupe but someone told me Tesla comes with free supercharging... My delivery agent told me it wasn’t offered anymore and I purchased the 2 cars with that as a fact.

I can only hope Tesla do retro rights to 2019 buyers, as S buyers are still willing to buy even with the fantastic Model 3 available.
It doesn’t hurt to ask.

It doesn’t hurt to ask.

My wife and I have been shooting out emails and calls all morning... our delivery SC acknowledge that the promotion was offered within our 7 day window and they are looking into retro fitting. That would make me satisfied knowing I didn’t get the more updated hardware (suspension) as I wasn’t informed that there is a Hardware updated 2019 S model.

My wife and I have been shooting out emails and calls all morning... our delivery SC acknowledge that the promotion was offered within our 7 day window and they are looking into retro fitting. That would make me satisfied knowing I didn’t get the more updated hardware (suspension) as I wasn’t informed that there is a Hardware updated 2019 S model.
There have been at least two changes to the hardware so far in 2019. The first big changes was in March when they started shipping cars with Autopilot HW3. Then in April, they came out with the improved range 'Raven' hardware changes which also included a new suspension.

There have been at least two changes to the hardware so far in 2019. The first big changes was in March when they started shipping cars with Autopilot HW3. Then in April, they came out with the improved range 'Raven' hardware changes which also included a new suspension.

I have the same cameras in the B-Pilar as the model 3 and have an option to upgrade to Full Self Driving rights. I’m not going to jump the gun and assume I have HW3 as I, still learning the ownership ropes, but for sure I don’t have the new suspension.

My SC have put in a ticket for me for activation since the days between my inventory purchase and the SC promotion was within the 7 day return window. Again, I hope they retro this to all 2019 S and X buyers.

I took delivery 12 days ago and I asked both the sales and delivery advisors independently if I could get a retro on the supercharging and both said no. At least for me, free supercharging isn't that great of a benefit since I plan on doing the majority of charging at home. I bought the car to save hassle at the gas station and constantly going to the supercharger defeats sorta defeats the purpose of buying a Tesla....

I have the same cameras in the B-Pilar as the model 3 and have an option to upgrade to Full Self Driving rights. I’m not going to jump the gun and assume I have HW3 as I, still learning the ownership ropes, but for sure I don’t have the new suspension.

My SC have put in a ticket for me for activation since the days between my inventory purchase and the SC promotion was within the 7 day return window. Again, I hope they retro this to all 2019 S and X buyers.
If you check the sticker inside the driver's door, what is the build date for your car? That can help determine if the S had HW3 or not. The good news is that if you do ever decide to upgrade to FSD, they would upgrade the computer...but if you already have it, FSD could just be a software update.

I believe free Supercharging is a great marketing tool. It really worked.

The issue is that people in urban areas with free Supercharging use it extensively. That was fine for the first few years. Now this isn't sustainable.

But they can modify the terms. Tesla could give people a certain free amount per year. Or they could enable it on stations 100 miles away from your home address only. They could make it free for customers that bought a solar system from Tesla, or those that own two or more Teslas. I think there are option that could work without causing crowding at Superchargers.

I believe free Supercharging is a great marketing tool. It really worked.

The issue is that people in urban areas with free Supercharging use it extensively. That was fine for the first few years. Now this isn't sustainable.

But they can modify the terms. Tesla could give people a certain free amount per year. Or they could enable it on stations 100 miles away from your home address only. They could make it free for customers that bought a solar system from Tesla, or those that own two or more Teslas. I think there are option that could work without causing crowding at Superchargers.
It only works as a marketing tool the offer is attractive and available to a lot of potential customers. Do you think if they offered it only to people who bought solar, it would be as effective of a sales lever? The more limited the usage, the less it works as a marketing tool.

I'm curious if the free supercharger is worth it?

$80k for 2019 Model S - 100D - Free Supercharging
$69k for 2019 Model 3 - Performance

I commute about 80 miles a day roundtrip in the Bay Area. Weekends sometimes going out of the city and driving passengers to dinner and such. What do you think? Just a few questions because I know the Model S tech is possibly older? Is the battery tech older and not as good like the Model 3? I'm just thinking long term with the car what issues I might have that a Model 3 wouldn't? Totally on the fence between getting the two. I have a Model 3 now on reservation however I rejected the car delivery due to many paint defects. They are pending a new VIN right now.

For long term Tesla recommend to use home charging. Supercharging is direct and often use will degenerate the battery.

95% of time I charge my 75D at home. Supercharger is just for emergencies. Even I do the bill is not more than $5/ month.

I have tesla wall charger and it’s giving me 37 miles / hour charging speed so over night I can get the desired mileage. I think without SC you can survive. Lots of people like the free SC option but ended up not using it that much.

Good luck. Heard model 3 is fun to drive. But mode S is amazing too.