Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Supercharging Model 3 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

munque

Mar 21, 2018
usa
I have model 3 performance 2008 with free supercharging.

I have read that if I sell car, it does not transfer.

I want to sell the car to a friend but don’t want to lose the free perks. Allow him to make payments over three years but not sure how it works.

Don’t want to just let him “Borrow” due to liability and insurance issues.

Can I lease him the car and have free perks transfer? I believe Virginia would require me to register with DMV

How does Tesla know if car is sold? Can I just make a new account and add him?
And then just sell the car?

I realize you mention you have a model 3 performance with free supercharging, but my suggestion to you would be to look through the model S or X subforum for threads on this topic. The number of people in this situation in model 3 land is quite small, while the number of people with model S and X vehicles with free unlimited supercharging that doesnt transfer is quite large.

Although I dont condone any of this at all, the easiest thing to do would be to give your friend the tesla account the car is on, and hope that Tesla never catches on to it / that the car never goes in for service.

As for "how does Tesla know if a car is sold, I would imagine that vehicle registration databases exist, although I am not an expert in that realm.

Reactions: buckets0fun
Upvote 0
I don't think any Model 3 supercharging transfers to new owners. That was a feature of older S/X models.

Don't try to be sneaky about pretending you still own the car, Tesla will know when it changes ownership. It will only come back to bite you, and it's fraud. Free supercharging isn't worth all that much for most people, so if your friend won't buy the car without it, find another friend. 🙂

Upvote 0
Nobody has a 2008 Tesla anything - especially a 2008 Model 3.

Try again! Did you mean 2018?

Also - they never gave free supercharging for life for a Model 3

Actually, yes they did, which is why I didnt try to correct them when I posted earlier. Model 3 performance vehicles purchased before end of third quarter 2018 (not that long after they were available), qualified for free unlimited supercharging.

Right after the end of that quarter (third quarter 2018) the free supercharging promotion ended, and the price of the car effectively became cheaper because the "performance upgrade package" was no longer a 5k add on, but was included in the price of the car. People lost their proverbial @!$%@$@ and tesla finally gave people a chance to get 5k back if they were impacted by that, but give up free unlimited supercharging for the vehicle.

So, absolutely, 10000% yes FUSC existed for the some model 3 performance.

Upvote 0
Nobody has a 2008 Tesla anything - especially a 2008 Model 3.

Try again! Did you mean 2018?

Also - they never gave free supercharging for life for a Model 3
Tesla actually did offer free lifetime Supercharging for a short time on 2018 Model 3 performance models. I have one.

Upvote 0
Actually, yes they did, which is why I didnt try to correct them when I posted earlier. Model 3 performance vehicles purchased before end of third quarter 2018 (not that long after they were available), qualified for free unlimited supercharging.

Right after the end of that quarter (third quarter 2018) the free supercharging promotion ended, and the price of the car effectively became cheaper because the "performance upgrade package" was no longer a 5k add on, but was included in the price of the car. People lost their proverbial @!$%@$@ and tesla finally gave people a chance to get 5k back if they were impacted by that, but give up free unlimited supercharging for the vehicle.

So, absolutely, 10000% yes FUSC existed for the some model 3 performance.
Yes -but he says 2008 . . .

Upvote 0
I have...
Dude: you need to ease up on your posting - you post WAY too much. I mean. three posts in five years?
1679073176493.png

:D :D :D :D :D

Attachments

• 1679073171918.png
    1679073171918.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Funny
Reactions: Ciaopec
Upvote 0
Yes -but he says 2008 . . .

im not sure why you are leaning into this, but given the context of the post, it appeared to me to be a simple typo (2008 instead of 2018). It also doesnt change the fact that "they never gave free supercharging for model 3s" is an incorrect statement.

Upvote 0
im not sure why you are leaning into this, but given the context of the post, it appeared to me to be a simple typo (2008 instead of 2018). It also doesnt change the fact that "they never gave free supercharging for model 3s" is an incorrect statement.
I completely understand - I made a mistake by not including Model 3 in my statement - can I have the SAME courtesy from you coming to the posters defense concerning the 2008 vs 2018? Or is that respect only given to others from a moderator?

Upvote 0
I completely understand - I made a mistake by not including Model 3 in my statement - can I have the SAME courtesy from you coming to the posters defense concerning the 2008 vs 2018? Or is that respect only given to others from a moderator?
You're the one who doubled down on the 2008 thing. I would have had pretty much the same reaction had @jjrandorin not beat me to it.

Also, please note this from @jjrandorin's signature:
PLEASE NOTE: Content posts express my own opinions not those of TMC unless specifically mentioned as moderation content.
He* is allowed to have opinions that have nothing to do with his Moderator duties.
*Making the assumption that @jjrandorin is male: having never met, I am not certain. My apologies if my assumption is incorrect.

Upvote 0
Some people would say is to keep this car until death and then some as it has free charging for the rest of the life of the car. One of my friends has it and will keep it until the end. My guess, speculation, once/if battery dies outside the warranty, Tesla will not fix it as they would not want this car to have FUSC. Good luck and it is smart not to lose this, as its worth a lot of money, 120,000 miles, 35,000kWh and at .55$ per kWh is around $20,000 (in California with current pricing and warranty of the battery).

Upvote 0
@boriszima Tesla will repair/replace (at owners expense) a battery that has failed outside of warranty. There are model S cars that fall in this category now.

Of course at some point they may not have parts for a very old car.
Yes, i agree. But what prevents Tesla saying no outside warranty? Since, at least for now, only Tesla can do this minus couple of shops here and there.

Upvote 0