Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Supercharging More Beneficial Than Expected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn’t think FUSC would be as big of a factor for me as it has but it is.

If you drive 25,000 miles per year and charge 100% at superchargers FUSC is worth about $2000/year. For most people its value is far less - for me it saves a couple hundred dollars per year since I charge mainly at home. So depending on your situation FUSC can be super valuable or almost worthless.

If you drive 25,000 miles per year and charge 100% at superchargers FUSC is worth about $2000/year. For most people its value is far less - for me it saves a couple hundred dollars per year since I charge mainly at home. So depending on your situation FUSC can be super valuable or almost worthless.

Mathematically you are correct, however I think it was a good marketing point and helps differentiate between the X and Y or the S and 3. People spend thousands extra to fly first class for a "free" meal and drinks - and the extra comfort. Mathematically it makes no sense but....... When spending $100k on a car many like the "free" perks. I suspect Tesla is making more money than it costs and would benefit from pushing some into buying the X vs Y.

On that note: we’ve racked up 16,000 miles since August and SC over 5mWh.

I’d say it’s pretty valuable to us and however irrational it may sound if they brought it back for the S/X that would be the impetus I needed to upgrade my P3D to a new S or X LR over any further price drops.

Reactions: mikes_fsd and 5JMJ
On that note: we’ve racked up 16,000 miles since August and SC over 5mWh.

I’d say it’s pretty valuable to us and however irrational it may sound if they brought it back for the S/X that would be the impetus I needed to upgrade my P3D to a new S or X LR over any further price drops.

If you drove 16,000 miles and supercharged 5MWh, then you are supercharging close to 100% of your miles (that comes out to 312 Wh/mile average supercharged), so of course it's going to be valuable for you. I'm just trying to point out you are not the typical customer so others might not find FUSC as valuable as you. Personally I wouldn't swap my 2018 MX unless there was a significant refresh - FUSC wouldn't matter at all for my case.

Reactions: bhzmark
I'm amazed that Tesla doesn't have a free supercharging to a cap plan. There's no reason they couldn't put something equivalent to 25,000 miles a year cap for the free part. the main reason they stopped it was they said it wasn't sustainable, but obviously it could be under those circumstances. And, as you pointed out, it really does help the sales of the S and the X and helps to differentiate them

I'm amazed that Tesla doesn't have a free supercharging to a cap plan. There's no reason they couldn't put something equivalent to 25,000 miles a year cap for the free part. the main reason they stopped it was they said it wasn't sustainable, but obviously it could be under those circumstances. And, as you pointed out, it really does help the sales of the S and the X and helps to differentiate them
They did. 400kWh yearly comped for deliveries during a certain time frame.

If you drove 16,000 miles and supercharged 5MWh, then you are supercharging close to 100% of your miles (that comes out to 312 Wh/mile average supercharged), so of course it's going to be valuable for you. I'm just trying to point out you are not the typical customer so others might not find FUSC as valuable as you. Personally I wouldn't swap my 2018 MX unless there was a significant refresh - FUSC wouldn't matter at all for my case.
I wish our usage was actually 312 wh/mi.

We’ve AC charged about 1.7mWh

Yep... if you factor time spent at the superchargers you realize that for some people it's kind of worthless. 0-80% takes about ~45 minutes on a LR+. 80% of 371 mile range is 296.8 miles. So to charge 25,000 miles it would take you waiting at a supercharger for 63.17 hours a year... some people don't want to do that.

Yep... if you factor time spent at the superchargers you realize that for some people it's kind of worthless. 0-80% takes about ~45 minutes on a LR+. 80% of 371 mile range is 296.8 miles. So to charge 25,000 miles it would take you waiting at a supercharger for 63.17 hours a year... some people don't want to do that.
If it’s for free, it’s for me.

• Funny
Reactions: Vegas and Cowby