Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free supercharging no longer transferable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a friend looking around for pre 2016 models and told me they don't allow the transfer of free supercharging anymore. Side note but kind of relevant does this mean if i wanted to sell my '14 MS I wouldn't be able transfer the free supercharging?

Thanks in advance!

Since 2014 is pre-2016, I'd say you won't be able to transfer the free supercharging. This presumes your friend is correct about Tesla not allowing transfer of free supercharging.
Incorrect. Cars ordered before the middle of January 2017 and delivered before June 2017 included free supercharging for life that transferred from owner to owner. The version that came with cars after this was only for the original owner. Any car traded back into Tesla, had this feature stripped before it was resold. This means that not every car before 2017 still includes it, but those that do will continue transferring from private party to private party in perpetuity.

Tesla has a legal obligation to this and @Ostrichsak is correct. Tesla advertised publicly on their site for a long time that permanent free Supercharging was attatched to the vehicle and stayed with the vehicle for its entire life. When someone specifically asked about selling to someone else used, Tesla's head of North American sales confirmed that the free Supercharging stayed with the used cars permanently.

Tesla is not allowed to revoke that. I think that also applies even if Tesla buys back the car and resells it, but most people don't agree with me on that one.