Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Supercharging on CPO's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are now distinguishing the free supercharging because soon the batch of inventory and possibly CPO cars will have been produced after the January 15 date. It also lets people know that the car qualifies for the free service. there was some confusion as to how they would handle the preowned and CPO supercharging..

• Informative
Reactions: JohnnyG
There was some confusion back in December in which different people were getting different messages on whether free supercharging would stick with a car as it transferred ownership. I could be wrong, and someone will correct me if I am, but I believe they settled on free supercharging sticking with the car. What this means is that CPO cars with free supercharging will show up as such on the site. Currently, this is every CPO, but in time, cars will start to appear that are on the new pay-per-use plan.

In time, free supercharging cars will be rare. I think the ultimate unicorn, cars that will hold value really well (in the long run may even go up in value) are cars with AP2 hardware and free supercharging.

In time, free supercharging cars will be rare. I think the ultimate unicorn, cars that will hold value really well (in the long run may even go up in value) are cars with AP2 hardware and free supercharging.
I don't mean to burst your bubble but that is some wishful thinking you've got there.

The math has been done multiple times already, but I'll show you exactly why FUSC is not as enticing as it sounds.

Let's say you road trip 15k miles per year all on the sc network... which is a lot!

Let's also say you get 330wH/mile so 3 miles for each kWh

15000/3 = 5000 kWh
5000 - 400 = 4600

Now let's take an average cost (I'll use California, 20 cents per kWh)

4600 x .20 = 920 dollars

920 dollars for a 15k mile road trip.

Sure your car might hold its value better, but only for that person because I wouldn't pay a premium for something I rarely use, and people who road trip that much are rare.

All I'm saying is don't lie to yourself thinking your car will go up in value, because it won't.
Look at the signature cars that are out of warranty, not too many people even want to touch that let alone pay a premium. And once the battery/drive train warranty runs out, even less people will be interested in it, regardless of its signature status.

Reactions: JPUConn
While you seem to have done the math, few buyers will. Plus $1k per year benefit is pretty sweet. I'd probably get half that use though. Still not bad. All things being equal it will make my car more valuable than a later produced comparable hw2 car.

All I'm saying is don't lie to yourself thinking your car will go up in value, because it won't.
Look at the signature cars that are out of warranty, not too many people even want to touch that let alone pay a premium. And once the battery/drive train warranty runs out, even less people will be interested in it, regardless of its signature status.

I think it's possible Sigs will eventually be worth more. Maybe a Sig. red with the rare white interior. But that's the sort of thing that wouldn't happen for 20-30 years on the collector market and someone would have to stuff it away in a garage somewhere and rarely drive it. I figure some roadsters might make that category too.

For normal car use and timelines, though, you are correct - just lots of depreciation.

When I made the choice to stay with a 90D with FUSC over changing my order to a 100D without it (which I could have done at no cost at all), I did so more on how I expected to use the car more than on how I expected resale value to work. My "road trips" tend to be to destinations that are around 3-6 driving hours away and on routes that already are fairly well developed with SpCs (and, in a couple cases, will be even more so soon). Range won't be that much of a consideration with how the SpCs are spaced, and charging speed just isn't going to be that much different between 90 and 100 packs.

In the end, I don't see FUSC to be more than a minor factor when it comes to resale. Some will love it, some will all but demand it for the next year or so, and some just couldn't care less. In any case, I'd rather predict the weather a year out from today than automobile resale values.

Reactions: mblakele
Here in PA, my all in electric bill is $0.109 a kWh... so $500/year :)...

Unlimited Free Supercharging... really... doesn't matter much to me.

If someone is willing to pay me a premium for it, in 2019/2020 when I sell mine, please let me know :)

There was some confusion back in December in which different people were getting different messages on whether free supercharging would stick with a car as it transferred ownership. I could be wrong, and someone will correct me if I am, but I believe they settled on free supercharging sticking with the car. What this means is that CPO cars with free supercharging will show up as such on the site. Currently, this is every CPO, but in time, cars will start to appear that are on the new pay-per-use plan.

You are close... the confusion wasn't over whether FUSC would stay with a car as it transferred ownership, that part was pretty clear all along (it stays with the car).* The confusion was over CPO cars that Tesla took back in as trades and offered for sale, as Tesla could easily have a policy that says they won't be reselling CPOs with FUSC after Jan 15th or April 15th (or some other date). Clearly they aren't doing this either, as CPO and most (for now) Inventory cars are listed with FUSC.

*It was clear from the original announcement that only new or inventory cars ordered before Dec31st(later Jan15th) and delivered before April 15th would have FUSC. There never was any statement or implication about CPOs losing FUSC, even during private ownership transfer.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker