Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Supercharging Still Worth It?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purchased my 2015 70 a year ago and strictly FUSC probably every other day. No noticeable degradation. My fear is if/when Tesla Superchargers will be available to all brands it will make it nearly impossible to find a space. I will have have to install and charge at home and incur higher electric bill.
I have thought this same thing.

But then as others have pointed out, Tesla is pumping out more EVs than most and so this “concern” of filled chargers is happening regardless. If by opening the network, can add more funds to increase the network, the better.

But I do think there will be growing pains with some people taking up two spots due to the cable position and people pulling into non-shared locations. Will be a learning curve.

Overall though, I think this will be a good thing for the network.

I suspect there will be more people buying non-Teslas and using the Tesla network but Tesla will still sell very well due to pricing power.

Well according to an email from Tesla this afternoon, it's worth about $5000 to Tesla. I've gotten at least $1500 worth in 4 months of ownership, so they'll have to do better than that! 😁

"Get $5000 Towards a New Model S or Model X: As an early Model S owner, you are now eligible to exchange your unlimited Free Supercharging miles for an additional $5000 on your vehicle's trade-in value when you purchase a new S or X"

I never got that email. I suppose it's only sent to the owners with high FUSC usage.

I never got that email. I suppose it's only sent to the owners with high FUSC usage.
I have a 2020 MS performance with FSD and FUSC and Tesla has not offered me squat. They did say there was a promotion for $3k off or 3 years of Unlimited Supercharging. I have 3 superchargers within 10 miles of my office. I also have a changer at home and a 14/50 plug at the office. Not sure if I will take them up on it. Car has 65K (3 years) miles as I drive quite a bit per year.

I have a 2020 MS performance with FSD and FUSC and Tesla has not offered me squat. They did say there was a promotion for $3k off or 3 years of Unlimited Supercharging. I have 3 superchargers within 10 miles of my office. I also have a changer at home and a 14/50 plug at the office. Not sure if I will take them up on it. Car has 65K (3 years) miles as I drive quite a bit per year.
I think it's because it was more towards someone that has SC01 FUSC (the one that can transfer). I believe yours will go away once you sell it (since it's after 1/2017).

Reactions: SO16
Interesting. I dont know what the prices started at since I was on free supercharging.
they used to be cheap like you see here it was only around $0.20 or less. you can see in these 2 pics the price changes, I've color coded it to years so its easier to read. As you can see even in 2022 there are still some cheap ones, and 2023 the average is $0.40.
I love my free charging soooooo much.

high.PNG
low.PNG

Reactions: CFinVancouver
I have a 2017 P100D (January 2017) one of the last MS manufactured with transferable FUSC. Almost all of the miles are on interstate 10 between Florida and Los Angeles (seven trips) using Superchargers.

Looking at the numbers to date:
Approximate miles: 60,000
Number of charges: 491 (These are connections to the SC network. Broken SC where I switched to another charger at the location are counted)
Lifetime KWh: 19649
Cost if billed for usage: $6067.61

Highest cost is Glendale, Az, Long Beach, Ca, and Westminster, Ca. .58
Lowest cost is Sarasota, Fl, and Pinellas Park, Fl .21

It takes 16 stops to go from Tampa FL to Huntington Beach, CA. assuming you start with a full charge.
Perry, Fl, Tallahassee/Marianna, Fl. Crestview, FL. D'lberville, MS. Lafayette, LA. Baytown, TX. Flatonia, TX. Junction, TX. Fort Stockton, TX. Van Horn, TX. El Paso, TX. Deming, NM. Tucson, AZ. Glendale/Buckeye, AZ. Quartzite, AZ. Cabazon, CA.

Perhaps this is valuable to someone who is contemplating the value of FUSC.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke and SO16
I have a 2017 P100D (January 2017) one of the last MS manufactured with transferable FUSC. Almost all of the miles are on interstate 10 between Florida and Los Angeles (seven trips) using Superchargers.

Looking at the numbers to date:
Approximate miles: 60,000
Number of charges: 491 (These are connections to the SC network. Broken SC where I switched to another charger at the location are counted)
Lifetime KWh: 19649
Cost if billed for usage: $6067.61

Highest cost is Glendale, Az, Long Beach, Ca, and Westminster, Ca. .58
Lowest cost is Sarasota, Fl, and Pinellas Park, Fl .21

It takes 16 stops to go from Tampa FL to Huntington Beach, CA. assuming you start with a full charge.
Perry, Fl, Tallahassee/Marianna, Fl. Crestview, FL. D'lberville, MS. Lafayette, LA. Baytown, TX. Flatonia, TX. Junction, TX. Fort Stockton, TX. Van Horn, TX. El Paso, TX. Deming, NM. Tucson, AZ. Glendale/Buckeye, AZ. Quartzite, AZ. Cabazon, CA.

Perhaps this is valuable to someone who is contemplating the value of FUSC.
I can add similar info for my Feb 2017 S90D with transferable FUSC
117,000 mi on lots of interstates throughout the US - based in New England but at least 15-20 drives of more than 2,000 miles
Supercharging: 515 charges at 288 locations totalling 15,766 kWh at a cost (if billed for usage) of $3,379. Average SC charging time 26 minutes
AC charging: 1025 charges at 23 locations totalling 15,929 kWH at a cost of $3,414 home or $175 public faciities
Lifetime kWh 31,965 at a cost of $6,968 (half was billed to me charging at home, half to FUSC)

Essentially 50% SC, 50% AC
Battery degradation form 294 rated miles @100% (new) down to 279 rated miles @100% (5% drop over 6+ years with lots of SC)

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke and SO16