Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Supercharging Still Worth It?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those without FUSC, download the Chargepoint app, and see if you're lucky enough to have a free station near you (filter locations by "free"). There's a location a half mile away, it is a level 2 charger, and it charges about 6mi per hour. It's well lit, cameras everywhere, and it's a nice walk home and back 👍 I'm fortunate though...don't imagine many others are that lucky 🤔

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I'll add that my first two Teslas both had FUSC, and I just altered my lifestyle to make it work for me. I'd go after my wife went to sleep and catch up on shows while it charger (same thing I'd do at home). With both cars, I solely supercharged them during my ownership. Anecdotally speaking, I never saw battery degradation.

For me, it's a huge benefit because I cant charge at home for a variety of reasons. For me, AP1 and FUSC is the ultimate car. I am plenty happy with adaptive cruise control, and lane management. I thought I had it, but the car was stripped of it's SC01. ...still hunting

Well according to an email from Tesla this afternoon, it's worth about $5000 to Tesla. I've gotten at least $1500 worth in 4 months of ownership, so they'll have to do better than that! 😁

"Get $5000 Towards a New Model S or Model X: As an early Model S owner, you are now eligible to exchange your unlimited Free Supercharging miles for an additional $5000 on your vehicle's trade-in value when you purchase a new S or X"

Last edited:
For those without FUSC, download the Chargepoint app, and see if you're lucky enough to have a free station near you (filter locations by "free"). There's a location a half mile away, it is a level 2 charger, and it charges about 6mi per hour. It's well lit, cameras everywhere, and it's a nice walk home and back 👍 I'm fortunate though...don't imagine many others are that lucky 🤔
I had one right across the street before I moved. Was so nice there

Reactions: TwistedGray
Well according to an email from Tesla this afternoon, it's worth about $5000 to Tesla. I've gotten at least $1500 worth in 4 months of ownership, so they'll have to do better than that! 😁

"Get $5000 Towards a New Model S or Model X: As an early Model S owner, you are now eligible to exchange your unlimited Free Supercharging miles for an additional $5000 on your vehicle's trade-in value when you purchase a new S or X"
If I don’t, do I get to keep it for the new s? Makes no sense why someone would not take the offer if they are already trading in the car

~$0.2X/kWh if I remember correctly.

Prices started jumping during the 2020-21 worldwide hysteria.
Hopefully they do come down a bit because road tripping in an EV now seems to be equivalent to a gas car in cost.

I rented a model 3 from Hertz in Florida and used supercharging through that state only. It was roughly the same cost as a 28 mpg gas car. Granted, much more fun and more power but still. Gas prices are dropping and hopefully electricity prices will too.

• Helpful
Reactions: Sanderpman12
My MSP battery gets 352 miles per full 100% charge. Charger noted cost was $.51 per kWh or $51 for a theoretical 100% charge. That is $.145 per mile or like 28 miles per gallon. My home charger costs me $.195 per kWh fully loaded with all the crap fees and such. That works out to 73 mpg. Figures are assuming $4 per gallon for gas. MSP is averaging .285 kWh per mile.

Takeaways.

1 - Thank Goodness for my FREE SC on my MSP
2 - Power is much more expensive in Ca. than Fl.
3 - Tesla stock maybe more valuable as they open up SC to all electric cars depending on charging margin
4 - The smile per gallon for MSP is very high :)

M

PS - Wonder why Hertz did not ask for free SC with their fleet purchase. LoL

I know someone interested in buying his first Tesla. He has no where to charge it (cant put a charger where he lives) and planned on using superchargers. He changed his entire mind after seeing how much superchargers are. When power and gas are equivalent, what benefit is there to paying extra for an EV?

I know someone interested in buying his first Tesla. He has no where to charge it (cant put a charger where he lives) and planned on using superchargers. He changed his entire mind after seeing how much superchargers are. When power and gas are equivalent, what benefit is there to paying extra for an EV?
Charging at home is definitely what helps charge cost wise.

But I also find driving an EV is more fun. Less maintenance typically.

Spending time at a supercharger once a week wouldn’t be ideal unless it’s at a store or somewhere you want to go weekly. Maybe he can charge at work?

Reactions: buckets0fun
Charging at home is definitely what helps charge cost wise.

But I also find driving an EV is more fun. Less maintenance typically.

Spending time at a supercharger once a week wouldn’t be ideal unless it’s at a store or somewhere you want to go weekly. Maybe he can charge at work?
To expand on this, if I didn’t have home charging, I wouldn’t have bought my model s (even if it does come with free supercharging.)

But after renting a Model 3, I would absolutely consider that even if I couldn’t charge at home and had to pay for supercharging. That thing charges pretty quick and very efficient. Cost of vehicle is good too. I really like my 2017 model S but the value of a model 3 is much higher for the price. The new pricing is great. Especially with the tax credits.

Just make sure the local supercharger isn’t super busy.

Purchased my 2015 70 a year ago and strictly FUSC probably every other day. No noticeable degradation. My fear is if/when Tesla Superchargers will be available to all brands it will make it nearly impossible to find a space. I will have have to install and charge at home and incur higher electric bill.