Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Supercharging tied to Tesla account?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm thinking of purchasing a 2019 Model X from a family member. They currently have free super charging and I would like to maintain that. I plan to register the car with the DMV under my name so I can pay for insurance etc but leaving the vehicle under my family members Tesla account. I assume this will not trigger an ownership change as far as Tesla is concerned so the free super charging will remain.

Am I missing anything?

you are not missing anything. tell your family to log into their tesla account and change all their "profile" details to you including email. it will be like you were the original owner the whole time.
Thanks!
They are getting a new Model X and I don't need access to the account beyond mobile controls so they can just add me as a driver.

pretty sure some other ppl posted that registering car with different name triggers ownership change n SC removal
maybe not right away but they will catch up...
Does Tesla actually go through the DMV database to see the ownership? I would have thought it's 100% based on the Tesla account ownership.

I bought a 2016 Model X with free supercharging and connectivity, and it stayed with the car after I registered it in my state, created an account on Tesla's site and added this car on there. Tesla told me the free supercharging and connectivity are tied to the vin number of the car.

I bought a 2016 Model X with free supercharging and connectivity, and it stayed with the car after I registered it in my state, created an account on Tesla's site and added this car on there. Tesla told me the free supercharging and connectivity are tied to the vin number of the car.

Depends on the car. There are two different kinds of FUSC, one is transferrable (the one on older vehicles like your 2016) and one isnt (like what is probably on this 2019 vehicle the OP is talking about).

That Tesla might not service the car for you since as far as they are concerned you aren't the owner. But it doesn't seem like they really verify that. (Assuming that an authorized driver can open a service request.)

And the fact that it is theft of services...
I thought about this, but my wife who is currently added onto my Model Y as an additional driver can open a service ticket.

Based on my research, older models had transferrable free charging but the later models do not.

Reactions: brainhouston
you are not missing anything. tell your family to log into their tesla account and change all their "profile" details to you including email. it will be like you were the original owner the whole time.

DMV notifies car manufacturers of change of ownership. It's required so recall and safety notices can be sent to the current registered owner. That said, you might get free supercharging for a few months although I wouldn't put it past tesla to start retroactively charging back to the change of ownership date when they're finally notified.

That is when free supercharging followed the car and not the first owner which started in 2017.

DMV notifies car manufacturers of change of ownership. It's required so recall and safety notices can be sent to the current registered owner. That said, you might get free supercharging for a few months although I wouldn't put it past tesla to start retroactively charging back to the change of ownership date when they're finally notified.
Ah, that makes complete sense. I was trying to think of why the DMV would notify the manufacturer of a change in ownership but this makes complete sense.

Maybe I can be added to the title instead. I just want to take over paying for registration/insurance without killing the supercharging.

Ah, that makes complete sense. I was trying to think of why the DMV would notify the manufacturer of a change in ownership but this makes complete sense.

Maybe I can be added to the title instead. I just want to take over paying for registration/insurance without killing the supercharging.

They should be able to add you on the registration which should not change ownership (but not 100% sure). Title changes might be an issue. I don't think insurance cares if you own the car? You should be able to insure yourself as a driver. Hell, I bought a car and they insured me before any paperwork was even completed. Are you already a driver in the Tesla app? If so, maybe just call insurance and see if you can pay to be insured and see if you can leave the title/reg in your parents name. Just cut them a check for the cost of reg.

They should be able to add you on the registration which should not change ownership (but not 100% sure). Title changes might be an issue. I don't think insurance cares if you own the car? You should be able to insure yourself as a driver. Hell, I bought a car and they insured me before any paperwork was even completed. Are you already a driver in the Tesla app? If so, maybe just call insurance and see if you can pay to be insured and see if you can leave the title/reg in your parents name. Just cut them a check for the cost of reg.
If I were the seller I'd never leave myself open to the liability.

Reactions: ngng
Looking at this thread, I am thinking it may be a good idea to add your spouse to the car registration. Would Tesla consider that as an original owner change? If I pass away, would my spouse continue to have free supercharging? Any idea?