Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free supercharging Transfer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this has been asked numerous times, but I called in my service center and they told me internet and free supercharging transfer to next owner. Is this correct ? I’m looking to buy a used model x via private sale and I’ve been seeing some2018 have it already.

I know this has been asked numerous times, but I called in my service center and they told me internet and free supercharging transfer to next owner. Is this correct ? I’m looking to buy a used model x via private sale and I’ve been seeing some2018 have it already.

If it is a 2018, highly unlikely. My 2018 came with free supercharging and Internet for me, but neither are transferable to next owner. Older units it may run with the car.

Reactions: jboy210
Indeed, the older old cars had free unlimited supercharging for the lifetime of the car, which would transfer to all future owners. At the time it was a good perk for buyers, and increased Tesla sales above their competition. Now that Tesla is so in demand, I guess they decided they didn't need to continue this benefit so it isn't a feature of most newer cars. Also, if a used Tesla that had FUSC happens to come back into Tesla's hands (via trade-in, etc) Tesla often times removes the FUSC, so it won't be part of that car anymore for any future buyers.

I wonder why she told me that both do transfer then? She said only if you trade it in Tesla then they remove those. She said transfers with vehicle? It’s a 5/18 and didn’t get it from referal code.

I wonder why she told me that both do transfer then? She said only if you trade it in Tesla then they remove those. She said transfers with vehicle? It’s a 5/18 and didn’t get it from referal code.
Probably Incompetent.. Lifetime free Supercharging is only transferrable for Model S and Model X vehicles purchased before January 15, 2017. That's from Tesla

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 11.10.35 AM.png
The cheapest Model X on Tesla's site as "used" but still has free unlimited supercharging is $53,300 see pic

I've got a March 2017 delivered Model X. It did not come with free Supercharging. It would have if I'd got it in 2016. I actually had to pay for Supercharging before Tesla gave up on that, refunded my money, and gave everyone free Supercharging. But there were several versions of free Supercharging. You have to check the car's Manage page to see what type it has. Mine is only as long as I own the car. It won't transfer. On the bright side, my Supercharging really was totally free! I bought with the understanding of paid Supercharging, so it wasn't included in the price.

I've got a March 2017 delivered Model X. It did not come with free Supercharging. It would have if I'd got it in 2016. I actually had to pay for Supercharging before Tesla gave up on that, refunded my money, and gave everyone free Supercharging. But there were several versions of free Supercharging. You have to check the car's Manage page to see what type it has. Mine is only as long as I own the car. It won't transfer. On the bright side, my Supercharging really was totally free! I bought with the understanding of paid Supercharging, so it wasn't included in the price.

Can you tell me where it would say it so I could ask the owner to check in his account ?

My X is also from 5/18 and the free Supercharging does not transfer to the new owner. They started that sometime in late 2017 or early 2018. As per Tesla's usually practice, free Supercharging is more of a "buy it now!" incentive. And in reality I hardly ever use my free SuperCharging. It is just too convenient to charge at home and drive away "full" every morning.

Also, remember Tesla does not have model years. Configurations change (ex. interior color and material selection), pricing changes, and free feature change (I would have had to pay $3,000 for the Performance Upgrade Package, 3 months later the package features were added to the base price), with little to no notice. So go with what the exact car has. Don't think it's a 2018 model car so it has these features, because it may or may not.

Last edited:
Sorry to burst the bubble but „there is no such thing as free“. Back in 2014, I payed 2000 dollar on top of the car‘s price for the „supercharger package“ (or whatever it was exactly called).
These 2000 dollars simply got integrated into the MS and MX base price at one point and called „free supercharging“. Yeah right... It‘s called marketing folks.

Tesla is a kindergarten when it comes to prices. One month you get this, the next month or quarter you get (or miss) god knows what they added or revoked. That department should receive a good old whipping for the uncertainty they cause with costumers.

Sorry to burst the bubble but „there is no such thing as free“. Back in 2014, I payed 2000 dollar on top of the car‘s price for the „supercharger package“ (or whatever it was exactly called).
These 2000 dollars simply got integrated into the MS and MX base price at one point and called „free supercharging“. Yeah right... It‘s called marketing folks.

Tesla is a kindergarten when it comes to prices. One month you get this, the next month or quarter you get (or miss) god knows what they added or revoked. That department should receive a good old whipping for the uncertainty they cause with costumers.

Agreed, i bought my 2016 X through Tesla in January with no free supercharging and then when i randomly checked my Tesla account on Monday, it is now showing free unlimited supercharging. Not really know what to think of this, so I went to a supercharger today and while it was charging, it was showing the costs, but afterwards, it showed 0.00 and my tesla account shows nothing, so nit sure what to think of this, maybe some admin oversight?

My X is also from 5/18 and the free Supercharging does not transfer to the new owner. They started that sometime in late 2017 or early 2018. As per Tesla's usually practice, free Supercharging is more of a "buy it now!" incentive. And in reality I hardly ever use my free SuperCharging. It is just too convenient to charge at home and drive away "full" every morning.

Also, remember Tesla does not have model years. Configurations change (ex. interior color and material selection), pricing changes, and free feature change (I would have had to pay $3,000 for the Performance Upgrade Package, 3 months later the package features were added to the base price), with little to no notice. So go with what the exact car has. Don't think it's a 2018 model car so it has these features, because it may or may not.

How many miles do you get at 80%?

Agreed, i bought my 2016 X through Tesla in January with no free supercharging and then when i randomly checked my Tesla account on Monday, it is now showing free unlimited supercharging. Not really know what to think of this, so I went to a supercharger today and while it was charging, it was showing the costs, but afterwards, it showed 0.00 and my tesla account shows nothing, so nit sure what to think of this, maybe some admin oversight?

Get a written statement from Tesla that your car has „free“ supercharging. Written.

Click the "View Details" button under the car's picture. On the top right of the details is "Supercharging Status". Mine just says Free Unlimited Supercharging. It used to say "for as long as you own the car", so as usual they are being less explicit.
Unfortunately, mine says the same thing and I have a "transfers with the car" version. There used to be a paragraph that described your supercharging status and mine said something along the lines of "and for whoever purchases your car" - a phrase that was omitted from the same paragraph on the status page of non-transferable cars. Now I can't find anything like that paragraph and those lines showing my "Supercharging Status" read the same as animorph's...

Unfortunately, mine says the same thing and I have a "transfers with the car" version. There used to be a paragraph that described your supercharging status and mine said something along the lines of "and for whoever purchases your car" - a phrase that was omitted from the same paragraph on the status page of non-transferable cars. Now I can't find anything like that paragraph and those lines showing my "Supercharging Status" read the same as animorph's...
When I search the HTML source for my status page I find that my car has option SC01 associated with its "Free Supercharging" option. Perhaps there is a different code for cars that are transferable vs. non-transferable?

According to this page, there are 4 codes for supercharging:

SC00 - No Supercharging
SC01 - Supercharging Enabled
SC04 - Pay Per Use Supercharging
SC05 - Free Supercharging

I'm guessing that SC01 might be "free supercharging transfers with car" and SC05 might be "free supercharging, does not transfer"? Can someone with the non-transferable FUSC check their codes?

The codes somewhat follow the evolution of the supercharging status over time:

First there were cars that came with it or not - all Model S - and the 85s had it, but the 60s did not (IIRC). Then they provided a way to buy into it and "enable" it for cars that didn't come with it. Thus the "No" vs. "Enabled" in the first 2 codes. At this time, the status would transfer with the car by default. Later I believe all cars ordered until the end of 2016 came with it enabled.

Then for cars ordered after the first couple of weeks of 2017, they switched to Pay-per-use for new S/X for a while, which introduced the 3rd code.

Shortly thereafter (May 2017 or so) they changed their minds, enabled all of those cars from the last few months and introduced the FUSC-by-referall program, both of which didn't transfer - which would explain the 4th code...?

Probably Incompetent.. Lifetime free Supercharging is only transferrable for Model S and Model X vehicles purchased before January 15, 2017. That's from Tesla

We purchased a 09/16 Model X from Tesla in March 2020. Our account details page showed Free Unlimited Supercharging from purchase through June 2020, after which Tesla changed it to Pay Per Use Supercharging. We saved a screen shot of the details page showing FUSC immediately after purchase and sent that to Tesla when inquiring about the change.

Tesla's response:
I see your vehicle is configured for Pay Per Use Supercharging. As your vehicle has changed owners, this is the correct supercharging configuration as I see this vehicle possessed Free Unlimited Supercharging for the duration of the original ownership. Please know that the supercharging benefit is not transferable and therefore has been removed from the vehicle, you will be responsible for supercharging fees on the account.

I would appreciate someone providing the source of the above statement/policy from Tesla.

Thanks.

We purchased a 09/16 Model X from Tesla in March 2020. Our account details page showed Free Unlimited Supercharging from purchase through June 2020, after which Tesla changed it to Pay Per Use Supercharging. We saved a screen shot of the details page showing FUSC immediately after purchase and sent that to Tesla when inquiring about the change.

Tesla's response:
I see your vehicle is configured for Pay Per Use Supercharging. As your vehicle has changed owners, this is the correct supercharging configuration as I see this vehicle possessed Free Unlimited Supercharging for the duration of the original ownership. Please know that the supercharging benefit is not transferable and therefore has been removed from the vehicle, you will be responsible for supercharging fees on the account.

I would appreciate someone providing the source of the above statement/policy from Tesla.

Thanks.
Unfortunately, many people have reported that when they bought pre-2017 used cars from Tesla, the FUSC was removed. If you'd purchased directly from the original owner, the FUSC would've transferred.