Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free supercharging transfer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The seller can start a chat session with Tesla and get supercharging status verification by VIN on their account.

Or a shortcut you can use is to have the seller go to their Tesla account on a computer, select the car ("Manage") and then right click on the Manage page and select "View page source". In that mass of html code, they should be able to hit Cntl-F and search for "SC0" and see what the supercharger code is for the car. If it is SC01, then Free Supercharging will transfer. If, for example, it is SC05, then free Supercharging will not transfer. You can Google more about the meaning of the codes, but that is a good place to start...

• Informative
Reactions: DerbyDave
If the person you're buying from is the second or later owner, and got it pre-owned from Tesla, then likely no. Because Tesla would have removed the transferable free unlimited supercharging from the used vehicle.
Depends when - Tesla only started removing SC01 from pre-owned cars in mid-2019. In this case, though, as a one-owner car, it's moot and the FUSC should transfer no problem.

@op - congrats on the purchase!

Depends when - Tesla only started removing SC01 from pre-owned cars in mid-2019. In this case, though, as a one-owner car, it's moot and the FUSC should transfer no problem.

@op - congrats on the purchase!
Thx
Picking it up next weekend
I’m just gonna check at local Tesla service center on transfer status. Not a dealbreaker but I’d be in shock if it doesn’t transfer one owner private seller car in service late September 2016

The seller can start a chat session with Tesla and get supercharging status verification by VIN on their account.

Or a shortcut you can use is to have the seller go to their Tesla account on a computer, select the car ("Manage") and then right click on the Manage page and select "View page source". In that mass of html code, they should be able to hit Cntl-F and search for "SC0" and see what the supercharger code is for the car. If it is SC01, then Free Supercharging will transfer. If, for example, it is SC05, then free Supercharging will not transfer. You can Google more about the meaning of the codes, but that is a good place to start...
Where can you start a chat. I see no place on the site. I have the SC01 code, but buyer saying they called Tesla and saying cant be transferred. We are selling a 2015 Model S 85D. Everything online says transferrable. We are the original owner.

There's ZERO point in asking at a service center before you own the car - first problem is they won't tell you ANYTHING about a car that you don't own. Second problem is that since it is unlikely anyone has been at the service center for longer than about a year, there's next to zero chance that anyone there will understand that there WAS a time in the past where cars came with free unlimited supercharging and yes it was transferrable.

The easiest ways are these:

Within the owner's Tesla app - look at the car, scroll to the bottom where there should be a "view details" option. That will show if it has it at all. Second is to log on to the Tesla website, click "manage" for the car, and then right click on the IMAGE of the car, and choose "copy image link" and paste that into a text window somewhere. Select everything after the word option in the URL, and paste into the box on this web page: Tesla option codes

Or just look through it for something that says SC0x and the x will be another number. SC01 is transferrable. Others are questionable but MAY be transferrable.

In all cases, having the previous owner go into his Tesla app and transfer the car to you THERE, will be the fastest way to get it in your app, (already have the app installed and create an account for yourself) and SHOULD preserve any options like supercharging if they exist.

While on the subject, I was wondering if anyone knows the following variation on this subject:

In 2018 I purchased a 2015 Model S 70D directly from Tesla as part of the CPO program. It included the SC01 free supercharging. As the car was purchased "used", does the SC01 transfer if I sell it to a third party?

Thanks for your input.

If it still shows as SC01, then yes it should. There is also this from Jon McNeil, head of sales for Tesla in 2017 (of course no longer with the company):

Now.... The hard part is getting anyone at Tesla who has any authority OR customer-service skills to actually hear the statements from the company, and restore it if it has been taken away. They seem immune to logic or good common sense.

Thank you very much for the pro tip! Just checked in on my car and sadly it's an SC05.

checked for code SC0 and it is there, want to sell car, so i can confidently advertise that it is supercharge transferable?
Yes - if you use the Tesla Info site and it comes back with SC01, then you are good to go - PROVIDED it is never traded to Tesla. They have to have ownership to strip it. It will not be stripped in a private transfer.
What about if I purchased a used 2016 S from Tesla with free supercharging and then I sell to a private party?

If you confirm the option codes with Tesla Info, then yes. Go here and follow the directions, paste in the option codes from the image URL and it will decode them for you.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm looking at some 85D/90Ds and have questions. I required FUSC. Private sellers generally know if their car has FUSC or not. Some dealer ads will say FUSC or no FUSC, but most dealers have no idea even when you ask.

Within the owner's Tesla app - look at the car, scroll to the bottom .....
Works great for private party sellers, but dealers don't connect their inventory cars to the app. Is there another way to find out? What would happen if I took it to a Supercharger and plugged in?

In all cases, having the previous owner go into his Tesla app and transfer the car to you THERE, will be the fastest way to get it in your app, (already have the app installed and create an account for yourself) and SHOULD preserve any options like supercharging if they exist.
Yes, that sounds ideal. But as I said dealers don't have these cars in the app. If I buy from them or at auction, how do I connect to the app? Can I connect a car to my app before I buy it? Would that cause problems? How do things like Turo work, do renters connect to their own app then disconnect when the rental is over? Whose app gets charged if the renter does paid Supercharging? Even knowledgeable dealers don't seem to understand all this.

Finally, I know Tesla strips FUSC from cars they take back in trade or at end of lease. But some dealers say Tesla stirps FUSC from all cars that go to auction. Is that true? It seems borderline illegal. I've seen examples, e.g. a 1-owner car 2015 S85D was traded in to a Mercedes dealer who sent it to auction, and the used car dealer who bought it swears it does not have FUSC. Tesla obviously has the technical means to strip FUSC at any time, but do they really do it for cars that aren't legally theirs?

I apologize for this being so jumbled. I prefer to buy from a private party, which is straightforward. But most seem to have taken Tesla up on their offer to transfer FUSC to a new car. So I've turned to dealer ads in the meantime, and I'm getting really confused. Thanks for reading.