Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

free supercharging when buying used

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David99

Supporting Member
Jan 31, 2014
Nomad (mostly US)
My car got totaled recently and I will most likely get a used Model S again to replace it. Since I drive way more than normal people, keeping free supercharging is very important to me. I got mixed info looking into this. Has anyone recently bought a used Model S with FUSC (free unlimited super charging) from Carvana or a similar used car buying service and got FUSC?

Hi
Contact me in PM. I will tell you all about this.
Uhhh..... yeah. Okay.

If FUSC is important to you then you need to find a private party car that has it. There's a chance you can find one from a 3rd party dealer that has it currently but know that Tesla could remove it at some point either right after you take deliver or at some point randomly in the future as they remove FUSC and premium data from cars sold by 3rd party dealers. As of this post, the ONLY way to get it 100% w/o concern is private party seller from an owner who has it already.

My car got totaled recently and I will most likely get a used Model S again to replace it. Since I drive way more than normal people, keeping free supercharging is very important to me. I got mixed info looking into this. Has anyone recently bought a used Model S with FUSC (free unlimited super charging) from Carvana or a similar used car buying service and got FUSC?

Damn!
Your S85 got totaled? :(
I just sold mine that was just like yours.
Good luck on finding another one.

Reactions: David99
Even if you going to buy car with free sc in 3-party, there is no guarantees that Tesla not disable it. At least when you change owner for mobile app, 100% you will lose that sc, but in your Tesla account you will have FUSC.

I have this issue with 10+ cars.

Any way, this is your choice.

...mixed info...

With used cars from Tesla, if there's free unlimited supercharging, it would clearly be indicated on a legal document so there's no question about it.

It's fine to buy a used car from non-Telsa source but I would want to make sure that I get a document with free unlimited supercharging.

Without the documentation, you are on your own if Tesla takes it away.

upload_2020-9-29_15-19-22.png

Tesla has the right to provide more than required in the Moter Vehicle Purchase Agreement such as providing Free Unlimited Supercharger when it clearly does not indicate there for the previous owner. It could be classified as goodwill, bonus, promotion... but not a legal requirement and could be taken away at any time.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: David99
Exactly what happened to me 220,000 miles and a kid hit and totaled me. I struggled with this also for the same reasons. I ended up getting a car from Tesla's used inventory. There was no question what I was getting and in the end I felt their prices were reasonable. From the web site choose the used inventory there's a box free unlimited supercharging filter. then yo see everything offered.

Exactly what happened to me 220,000 miles and a kid hit and totaled me. I struggled with this also for the same reasons. I ended up getting a car from Tesla's used inventory. There was no question what I was getting and in the end I felt their prices were reasonable. From the web site choose the used inventory there's a box free unlimited supercharging filter. then yo see everything offered.

CPO from Tesla doesn't come with free supercharging any more. I just looked to double check.

I bought a 2013 on Carvana in February. On the site it clearly stated that free unlimited supercharging came with it. I verified with customer service. Once I got title, I was able to move the VIN to my mobile account. The free supercharging and free unlimited premium connectivity are both active. I think sometime after 2014 Tesla changed their legal verbiage to say they can take it away if a different owner comes around. BUT since I bought my car, Carvana no longer lists Teslas as having or not having free supercharging. I think they are doing this to prevent a lawsuit or something if Tesla refuses the FUSC. Private sellers on Craigslist and Dealers both are advertising FUSC but they are mostly 2013 and 2014s as far as I can tell. Some replies here are misleading. There are other posts on this forum that are more clear and precise on dates etc.

Help! I was trying to fix a glitch with my Tesla account, and in my attempts to fix the glitch my 2015 P85D, which had unlimited supercharging, now doesnt show it anymore. can anyone please help me get this restored? I am absolutely devastated.

Help! I was trying to fix a glitch with my Tesla account, and in my attempts to fix the glitch my 2015 P85D, which had unlimited supercharging, now doesnt show it anymore. can anyone please help me get this restored? I am absolutely devastated.
How were you able to modify a feature (other than performance boost or FSD type option) associated with your car, via accessing your account? We need more details