Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes you’ll have to spell it out, I still don’t understand what you mean
I just spelled it out!

Roadsters were the first cars ... we paid $150k for them. Give or take.

Then Model S ... then Superchargers ... but not compatible with the Roadster!

So the people who helped Tesla get their start were thrown to the kerb. By Mr. Musk.

No way of charging them at all, not even slow(er) charging at the SCs.

So I would not even trust Tesla to make the Roadster 2.0 Supercharger compatible.

Now do you understand?

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: CarlK and 1375mlm
I just spelled it out!

So the people who helped Tesla get their start were thrown to the kerb. By Mr. Musk.

So I would not even trust Tesla to make the Roadster 2.0 Supercharger compatible.

Now do you understand?
No, because there are hundreds of thousands of cars on the road using the supercharger plug and for Tesla to come up with a totally different plug and charging design for the 2020 while moving forward with another charging infrastructure for the sx3 and semi already utilize the supercharger plug and for them to abandon it for something else now wouldn't make much sense.

It sucks that the OG roadster got orphaned but that was because it was a bastard child to begin with being a Frankenstein of a lotus and whatever else and moving forward they needed a better design. Yes they are moving over to CCS in Europe but that's more a result of the charging infrastructure already in place and expanding in Europe than a choice that Tesla decided

I just spelled it out!

Now do you understand?

That's the progress of innovation. You can't charge the original phone with the current iphone chargers either. Eventually Superchargers will be outdated with wireless chargers or something better.

• Informative
Reactions: 1375mlm
I just spelled it out!

Now do you understand?
The supercharger network did not exist back then... so of course the original Roadster was not compatible because it wasn’t built with that in mind

They could have made it compatible ... they CHOSE not to.
They could have provided a cable for Roadsters.
Electricity is electricity.
Not at all, the battery needs to be able to handle the AMOUNT of electricity flowing into it
Those batteries weren’t made for high power charging
Those air cooled batteries would catch fire if you were to supercharge them

• Disagree
Reactions: jaguar36
If I remember right, the aircooled batteries in my leaf could only take about 40-45kw Not super fast but really, really fast. Also, people that constantly charged the leaf on DC see huge battery degradation.

Let me get a 200K car and wonder if I'll be able to save 50 bucks on a road trip...
But it won’t be a $ 200K+ car for most...

At the current rate that referrals are ‘earned’ with Model 3 sales, I’d guess no Roadsters to speak of will be sold at sticker price...

Much like for the complete sets of Arachnid wheels, the real price will be set in de secundary market. I got the complete wheels at € 2.000, so that’s a Roadster for less than € 100K. :D

Last edited:
I think there’s a decent chance the Founders Edition Roadsters will have free unlimited lifetime Supercharging, just because the Founders Editions of Teslas tend to have every option. It’s an easy perk to throw in if you pony up the extra $50k.

Maybe just wishful thinking on my part though...

• Informative
Reactions: 2012MS85
I just spelled it out!

Now do you understand?
You are predicting the future (the new Roadster won’t be able to use the existing Supercharge network) by assuming the past will repeat itself. But the situation in the past (when the Supercharger network did not exist) is not analogous to the present (thousands of Superchargers are available, and the number continually increases).

Of course the new Roadster will be able to use the existing Supercharger network, which is one of Tesla’s biggest competitive advantages. When the original Roadster went into production there was no nationwide integrated high-speed DC charging network. The lack of such a network was an enormous obstacle to widespread EV adoption. That obstacle no longer exists, Tesla has solved that problem. All new Teslas going forward will be able to use the Supercharger network. Of course over time the Supercharger network will improve and offer faster charge rates. Older Teslas will still be able to use the network in the future, they will charge at whatever rate they can handle.

You are predicting the future (the new Roadster won’t be able to use the existing Supercharge network) by assuming the past will repeat itself. But the situation in the past (when the Supercharger network did not exist) is not analogous to the present (thousands of Superchargers are available, and the number continually increases).

Of course the new Roadster will be able to use the existing Supercharger network, which is one of Tesla’s biggest competitive advantages. When the original Roadster went into production there was no nationwide integrated high-speed DC charging network. The lack of such a network was an enormous obstacle to widespread EV adoption. That obstacle no longer exists, Tesla has solved that problem. All new Teslas going forward will be able to use the Supercharger network. Of course over time the Supercharger network will improve and offer faster charge rates. Older Teslas will still be able to use the network in the future, they will charge at whatever rate they can handle.

and you're not predicting the future?

• Disagree
Reactions: CarlK