Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you really believe anyone buying a quarter of a million dollar car needs the incentive of free supercharging?

Free supercharging won’t hurt. Bought a S P100D on Sept 15 during the free supercharging offer that ended Sept 16, 2018. If it wasn’t for the free SC carrot, we would still be “thinking it over... and over”

Plan on getting the roadster and free supercharging sure would be nice

Reactions: preilly44
I think it's more of a reward than an incentive.
Rich people love free stuff! I first learned of TESLA when their Denver sales team drove two Roadsters to Berkshire Hathaway’s annual shareholder meeting in Omaha in 2010 and parked those two beauties outside the big tent where Warren Buffett’s rich followers were waiting in crazy long lines for free food and free drinks! I left the line to check out the Roadster and schedule a test drive for when I was sober the next day. Never underestimate the value of a free gimmick :p

I predict no matter what Tesla says or doesn't say about supercharging, they will be mischaracterized as promising something they never did and be blamed for not delivering even better than that unwarranted expectation.

Recommendation: Assume you don't get any bonus magic beyond what is in the contract and you'll be happier with whatever post-delivery reality develops.

Reactions: 2012MS85
Do you really believe anyone buying a quarter of a million dollar car needs the incentive of free supercharging?
Yes. Not all, of course. But some of the wealthiest people are also some of the cheapest people -- which is how some (many?) got to be that way. It certainly doesn't hurt.

It's an emotional thing that can not be measured by absolute monetary value. You get that shot of dopamine when you have succeessfully gained something for (in your mind) nothing. Everyone enjoys that. I don't see the value of free supercharging when the price is factored in what you paid for the car but I don't think anyone would mind the (on the surface) free stuff that could make one a little happier.

• Disagree
Reactions: GreenT
I just spelled it out!

Roadsters were the first cars ... we paid $150k for them. Give or take.

Then Model S ... then Superchargers ... but not compatible with the Roadster!

So the people who helped Tesla get their start were thrown to the kerb. By Mr. Musk.

No way of charging them at all, not even slow(er) charging at the SCs.

So I would not even trust Tesla to make the Roadster 2.0 Supercharger compatible.

Now do you understand?

The Roadster was just an older car produced before supercharger was conceptualized. You paid for a car with all the knowledge of what it could or could not do. No one has thrown it to the curb. As for the new Roadster not only it will be capable of supercharging there is a possibility that it will also be megacharger, or whatever next generation charger, competible. Technology continues to evolve and it especially evolves fast for Tesla. Don't like it? Just go buy a different car that is pretty much the same as cars made 10 years ago.

• Disagree
Reactions: GreenT
and you're not predicting the future?
My prediction is based on the past six years of Tesla history and a foundation of facts: since introducing DC charging (Supercharging) with the Model S, every subsequent Tesla has had DC charging that allows the cars to use the Supercharger network or other DC charging standards like CHAdeMO (with an adaptor that Tesla sells) or CCS (as in Europe). Fast DC charging is essential to the long term success of all EVs except those purpose-built as short range “city” cars, a type of EV that Tesla does not sell (but even most of the currently available short range EVs have DC charging capability). And the 2020 Roadster is obviously not that type of EV.

The original Roadster was designed with AC charging only, so it could not use the Supercharger DC network when it became available. No one was “thrown to the kerb”, as you put it; Tesla had to provide more capable charging in their new model cars and it was not feasible to go back and modify the original Roadsters for DC charging. Tesla ended Roadster production in part because it was a very small company and could not afford to continue producing that car while simultaneously developing and preparing to produce the Model S which from the beginning was designed with DC charging capability, and for very good reasons: without fast DC charging EVs would not be able to displace ICE vehicles because they would be limited to short distance trips and therefore their market appeal would be limited.

Reactions: Tic-tac-toe