Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all

With Tesla offering free one-year supercharding for all M3 and MY deliverted before 12/31, do you think it's worth asking my SC or DA to see if they would give it for my MS. I am scheduled to pick up my car in the next 5-7 days after it having it been delayed by almost 3 weeks.

Reactions: rickyjb
Hey all

With Tesla offering free one-year supercharding for all M3 and MY deliverted before 12/31, do you think it's worth asking my SC or DA to see if they would give it for my MS. I am scheduled to pick up my car in the next 5-7 days after it having it been delayed by almost 3 weeks.

It never hurts to ask, but be prepared for "no".

Also, depending on your situation, free Supercharging might not be as great as it sounds. My car has had free lifetime Supercharging for 5-1/2 years, and I still prefer to charge overnight in my garage, rather than having to drive over to a Supercharger just to charge my car, even if it's "free". (Maybe the energy is free, but my time is not.) Generally I only Supercharge on road trips or when hunting new Superchargers. Just a thought.

Congrats on the new car, have fun!

Bruce.

It never hurts to ask, but be prepared for "no".

Also, depending on your situation, free Supercharging might not be as great as it sounds. My car has had free lifetime Supercharging for 5-1/2 years, and I still prefer to charge overnight in my garage, rather than having to drive over to a Supercharger just to charge my car, even if it's "free". (Maybe the energy is free, but my time is not.) Generally I only Supercharge on road trips or when hunting new Superchargers. Just a thought.

Congrats on the new car, have fun!

Bruce.

Free supercharging is beyond well worth it. I travel a lot and not needing to pay for it as awesome. I've put about 104k miles on my model S and prob 70% if those miles needed supercharger along the way.
SC aren't meant for you to charge in you're neighborhood with they are for trips. I charge at the house with 120v because it's all I got i can use a nearby charge point that is free but I don't like walking 1/2 mile to get here.

But yeah free SC is the best thing ever, always ask worst they say is no.

• Love
Reactions: ucmndd
Free supercharging is beyond well worth it.
There’s no such thing as free. The generally accepted going rate of “free lifetime supercharging” is $3,000, built into the price of the car.

I've put about 104k miles on my model S and prob 70% if those miles needed supercharger along the way.
This is a very carefully worded statement that doesn’t offer a lot of insight as to how many of those miles are actually supercharging... but in a Model S, even at the very high ~$0.36/kWh supercharging rates in California, you need about 27,000 miles of supercharging just to break even.

There’s no such thing as free. The generally accepted going rate of “free lifetime supercharging” is $3,000, built into the price of the car.

Well the car was $100k so a few bucks for free SC doesn't even register on the tag

This is a very carefully worded statement that doesn’t offer a lot of insight as to how many of those miles are actually supercharging... but in a Model S, even at the very high ~$0.36/kWh supercharging rates in California, you need about 27,000 miles of supercharging just to break even.

And as I said I've put a shitload of miles on the car and with your napkin math I hit the "break even" mark a long ass time go with my 100+ miles. I drive 450 miles 2 times month along with normal travel of 200mi +/- day trips. And when I leave my house I usually have about 50% charge which is like 90 miles of real range so yeah lots of SC use and it all being free is very valuable more more than worth it's weight.

Well the car was $100k so a few bucks for free SC doesn't even register on the tag

And as I said I've put a shitload of miles on the car and with your napkin math I hit the "break even" mark a long ass time go with my 100+ miles. I drive 450 miles 2 times month along with normal travel of 200mi +/- day trips. And when I leave my house I usually have about 50% charge which is like 90 miles of real range so yeah lots of SC use and it all being free is very valuable more more than worth it's weight.

ok.

Congrats on being the exception to the rule - but my point stands. Few people are on the winning end of this “free” perk over their period of ownership.

Of course if Tesla is handing it out to close a deal, and you were already mostly committed to the idea, it’s a no-brainer. But as you rightly implied in your first sentence, the actual value for most people is purely emotional - not financial - so “beyond well worth it” depends a great deal on how much value you place on emotion vs economics.

Reactions: bmah and Ciaopec
Wife got 'free' on her 1st MS and it also transferred to her 2nd. My M3 -- I have to pay, but rarely use anyway. Typical workday for me is less than 12 miles - then plug into 110 v at home - she gets the 220 v Tesla Charger. As mentioned above, even for her home is more convenient.

I would be willing to pay a set monthly fee - even for my rare tap into a Supercharger. Say $50. If majority of owners opted for this, I'm guessing the SpC network would expand drastically.

Wife got 'free' on her 1st MS and it also transferred to her 2nd. My M3 -- I have to pay, but rarely use anyway. Typical workday for me is less than 12 miles - then plug into 110 v at home - she gets the 220 v Tesla Charger. As mentioned above, even for her home is more convenient.

I would be willing to pay a set monthly fee - even for my rare tap into a Supercharger. Say $50. If majority of owners opted for this, I'm guessing the SpC network would expand drastically.

If you rarely use Supercharging I am not sure why you would want to pay a $50 monthly fee. I have a 2016 with FUSC and I have used it a lot (138000+ miles on lots of road trips). But if I had to pay, and wanted to take a trip from my home up to Gainesville, Fl it would cost about $11according to A Better Route Planner. I'd have to do the trip 4+ times to make it worth the $50 monthly fee.

You may be correct in your assumption that if everyone paid $50 per month the network might expand. Probably because lots of income and little usage.

Reactions: Jimmer
There is apparently an unpublished promotion on Model 3/Y deliveries before 12/31, including free supercharging for a year. There’a no indication the promo extends to Model S/X.
yea, good luck getting delivery before 31 Dec 2020......thats just a gimmick to get you to buy now.....and wait later......missing the 31 dec date......then when you take delivery on 4 Jan 2021, they will tell you, sorry......you did not take delivery before 31 Dec so no deal.....its worse than bait and switch......dont forget, Tesla is on a full out do what ever it takes to sell before the end of the year.....just dont hold your breath for free supercharging because if you buy today, you ar3 only 18 days from the 31st......wont happen

yea, good luck getting delivery before 31 Dec 2020......thats just a gimmick to get you to buy now.....and wait later......missing the 31 dec date......then when you take delivery on 4 Jan 2021, they will tell you, sorry......you did not take delivery before 31 Dec so no deal.....its worse than bait and switch......dont forget, Tesla is on a full out do what ever it takes to sell before the end of the year.....just dont hold your breath for free supercharging because if you buy today, you ar3 only 18 days from the 31st......wont happen
Tesla has every motivation to deliver every car they can by the 31st. If it’s logistically possible, you can bet they’ll move heaven and earth to do so.

The idea this is a bait and switch tactic is silly and myopic.

Tesla has every motivation to deliver every car they can by the 31st. If it’s logistically possible, you can bet they’ll move heaven and earth to do so.

The idea this is a bait and switch tactic is silly and myopic.
only saying from experience......happened to me last year when my delivery went from 15 dec 15 to 31 jan and they tried to not give me the supercharging.....