Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yea, good luck getting delivery before 31 Dec 2020......thats just a gimmick to get you to buy now.....and wait later......missing the 31 dec date......then when you take delivery on 4 Jan 2021, they will tell you, sorry......you did not take delivery before 31 Dec so no deal.....its worse than bait and switch......dont forget, Tesla is on a full out do what ever it takes to sell before the end of the year.....just dont hold your breath for free supercharging because if you buy today, you ar3 only 18 days from the 31st......wont happen

Tesla has quite a few new inventory cars that could easily be delivered by the end of the year. The company has been known to match up custom orders with existing stock which has allowed some people to take “custom order” delivery within 2-3 weeks or so. It's not guaranteed, of course.

If the car isn't delivered in time and losing the free supercharging is a deal-breaker then the customer can just cancel the order. At worst, they'd lose the $100 order fee.

Free supercharging is beyond well worth it. I travel a lot and not needing to pay for it as awesome. I've put about 104k miles on my model S and prob 70% if those miles needed supercharger along the way.
SC aren't meant for you to charge in you're neighborhood with they are for trips. I charge at the house with 120v because it's all I got i can use a nearby charge point that is free but I don't like walking 1/2 mile to get here.

But yeah free SC is the best thing ever, always ask worst they say is no.
I agree with Bruce's main point. It depends on your situation. For you and me (travel a LOT) it is definitely valuable. But for my retired neighbor that puts few miles on his car and far from a supercharger, not worth a dime. But yea, if it is free, why not get it. :)

Free supercharging = more miles driven = more CO2 emitted from electricity production

Therefore, free supercharging is bad for the planet.

Less and less a problem as more electricity comes online from renewable energy Currently about 60% from carbon sources; 20% nuclear; 18% renewable. Still far less CO2 than ICE vehicles spew.

Less and less a problem as more electricity comes online from renewable energy Currently about 60% from carbon sources; 20% nuclear; 18% renewable. Still far less CO2 than ICE vehicles spew.
I completely agree, and this is why I bought a Tesla. But, the environmental price of driving it is still not "free". Significantly less than an ICE, yes.

Just wanted to challenge the notion that free supercharging is inherently good. It has its downsides too. Another example is potentially higher wait times at superchargers because people use them even when they don't need them (could charge at home but prefer free electricity). I have not been affected by this so it's speculation (I have read others make the claim). I myself have yet to have the pleasure of using a supercharger!

Free unlimited Supercharging is totally worth it for me. I have logged 73K miles @ 301Wh/mi efficiency. This comes out to be 21.9MWh of electricity. Most, if not all, of it is from supercharging. Also note I also have a blackvue dash cam which keeps the computer on all the time. So I reckon I have used much more than the 21.9MWh of energy in terms of supercharging. Combined with vampire drain of the model S. I would say I am about 24MWh of supercharging. In expensive electricity CA, this comes out to around $7000 of supercharging cost so far if you use Tesla's current supercharging cost around my area. Solar obviously makes electricity cheaper, but unfortunately I don't have them.

Tesla has quite a few new inventory cars that could easily be delivered by the end of the year. The company has been known to match up custom orders with existing stock which has allowed some people to take “custom order” delivery within 2-3 weeks or so. It's not guaranteed, of course.

If the car isn't delivered in time and losing the free supercharging is a deal-breaker then the customer can just cancel the order. At worst, they'd lose the $100 order fee.
they could.....but I'm still trying to get my deposit back from the solar panels....its been 7 months and I'm still getting the run around.....

but my point was, its always like this at the end of the quarter and especially at the end of the year....

I completely agree, and this is why I bought a Tesla. But, the environmental price of driving it is still not "free". Significantly less than an ICE, yes.

Just wanted to challenge the notion that free supercharging is inherently good. It has its downsides too. Another example is potentially higher wait times at superchargers because people use them even when they don't need them (could charge at home but prefer free electricity). I have not been affected by this so it's speculation (I have read others make the claim). I myself have yet to have the pleasure of using a supercharger!

Kinda like the all you can eat buffet.

Reactions: COS Blue
At an average session speed of ~70kw, that's 340 hours of sitting around a parking lot.

What's your time worth? ;)
Sure. Was doing work on my laptop or watching video which I would have done anyways at home. Also $7000/340hours = $20/hr. Sure it is not anywhere close to my usual salary, but figuring I can get other stuff done while supercharging. It is like me getting paid to watching YouTube.

Last edited:
Reactions: RAW84

im understand all the different responses here, but my point is if they had inventory vehicles sitting around, why are people having to wait 5-8 weeks for delivery......or having ship dates moved out past the 31 dec deadline...

my point is, just like a lot of other things, they should not offer something then not be able to deliver.....or at least honor the offer that you purchased.....regardless, of inventory that they cant deliver

but my point is if they had inventory vehicles sitting around, why are people having to wait 5-8 weeks for delivery......
In a nutshell, because they ordered 5-8 weeks ago.

Tesla delivers US cars at the end of the quarter. Almost always. If you ordered in mid October, you’ll likely wait until December. If you order in December, you’ll usually get a car in December.

Tesla abandoned “custom orders” ages ago, despite the nomenclature on their site. Cars are made in batches, and they do their best to anticipate demand. Since they live and die by quarterly delivery numbers, there’s usually some incentive to get people to “settle” for a car that might not be exactly what they would have ordered, but is available here and now and if they can seal the deal will count toward their quarterly delivery numbers.

I’m not sure where you get this “offer something they can’t deliver” sorcery. That’s obviously not the intent. Tesla WANTS to deliver you a car before the end of the year, because it benefits them, so they’re offering an incentive to take an inventory car that exists now. Seems pretty simple.

In a nutshell, because they ordered 5-8 weeks ago.

Tesla delivers US cars at the end of the quarter. Almost always. If you ordered in mid October, you’ll likely wait until December. If you order in December, you’ll usually get a car in December.

Tesla abandoned “custom orders” ages ago, despite the nomenclature on their site. Cars are made in batches, and they do their best to anticipate demand. Since they live and die by quarterly delivery numbers, there’s usually some incentive to get people to “settle” for a car that might not be exactly what they would have ordered, but is available here and now and if they can seal the deal will count toward their quarterly delivery numbers.

I’m not sure where you get this “offer something they can’t deliver” sorcery. That’s obviously not the intent. Tesla WANTS to deliver you a car before the end of the year, because it benefits them, so they’re offering an incentive to take an inventory car that exists now. Seems pretty simple.
well I ordered on 22 Oct 19......inventory order, no special anything.....delivery was 30 Jan 2020.....and I had to fight like hell to get the free supercharging and the battery warranty because they changed the warranty 4 days before I took delivery.....I did prevail after raising hell and got both battery warranty and free supercharging.......that's my point

well I ordered on 22 Oct 19......inventory order, no special anything.....delivery was 30 Jan 2020.....and I had to fight like hell to get the free supercharging and the battery warranty because they changed the warranty 4 days before I took delivery.....I did prevail after raising hell and got both battery warranty and free supercharging.......that's my point
Did you order an inventory car that wasn’t locally available? I’m curious because I picked up my inventory S 3 days after ordering