Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In a nutshell, because they ordered 5-8 weeks ago.

Tesla delivers US cars at the end of the quarter. Almost always. If you ordered in mid October, you’ll likely wait until December. If you order in December, you’ll usually get a car in December.

Tesla abandoned “custom orders” ages ago, despite the nomenclature on their site. Cars are made in batches, and they do their best to anticipate demand. Since they live and die by quarterly delivery numbers, there’s usually some incentive to get people to “settle” for a car that might not be exactly what they would have ordered, but is available here and now and if they can seal the deal will count toward their quarterly delivery numbers.

I’m not sure where you get this “offer something they can’t deliver” sorcery. That’s obviously not the intent. Tesla WANTS to deliver you a car before the end of the year, because it benefits them, so they’re offering an incentive to take an inventory car that exists now. Seems pretty simple.
you still miss the point.....they offered a dec delivery and did not deliver in dec....then tried to back out of the warranty and free supercharging....thats not sorcery or any other magic....I own a couple of tea;la so I am very familiar with the delivery process....as I said, I order standard car on 22 oct......with promise of dec delivery.....delivery dod not happen until 31 jan....period

im understand all the different responses here, but my point is if they had inventory vehicles sitting around, why are people having to wait 5-8 weeks for delivery......or having ship dates moved out past the 31 dec deadline...

my point is, just like a lot of other things, they should not offer something then not be able to deliver.....or at least honor the offer that you purchased.....regardless, of inventory that they cant deliver

Whether or not Tesla is able or willing to match to a "custom order" right now can depend on color and options, if a customer will take a 2020 or 2021, and location of delivery. Tesla has hundreds and hundreds of new/demo M3 and MY models available in U.S. inventory right now that would qualify for one year free supercharging and could be delivered by end of year. They also have plenty of new/demo MS and MX models in inventory but those don’t qualify for the free supercharging.