Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed an order for a S75 last weekend, and will be confirmed/locked in tomorrow. Very happy to see that my spec sheet now says "Free Supercharging Included". Didn't have that verbiage when I looked at it in the afternoon.
Glad I didn't settle for an inventory S75 a couple of weeks ago that had AP2+Unlimited Supercharging that didn't have the exact features I wanted. Almost pulled the trigger but then thought I would rather have exactly what I needed and forego the free supercharging.

I took delivery of a S100D on 22April (ordered 19March). I just received an email 5 minutes ago from the California/Hawaii Tesla director, which included the following:

"Great news—starting today, your Model S or Model X has free, unlimited Supercharging. You will no longer be charged for pay per use Supercharging, although idle fees will still apply.
Even better, you can also give unlimited Supercharging to five friends, along with $1,000 in credit toward a new Model S or Model X."

I can also confirm that my MyTesla account no longer has the 400kwh item (which it had as of a few days ago). It has been replaced with a new entry at the top of the information, which is exactly the same as what RichardD quoted.

Great announcement for Model S and X owners ... I suspect this will not be extended to the new Model 3.

Tesla retroactively extends free unlimited Supercharging to all current vehicles

In a surprising move, Tesla is now extending free Supercharging to all current vehicles. In other words, all current Tesla owners up to today have access to free Supercharging for the life of their vehicle. Tesla had previously announced the change of the program to a paid model after 400 kWh per year, which was supposed to take place starting January 1st. It later extended the deadline for two weeks before making the change and it is now retroactively extending the deadline to today. The move seems to be due to the new referral program incentive which enables owners to give free Supercharging through five new referrals of the Model S and Model X. Tesla sent us the following statement about the new program:

“We heard from our customers that free, unlimited Supercharging was one of their favorite reasons to refer a friend to buy a Tesla, so we’re bringing it back for Model S and Model X owners through our referral program, which we update periodically. Beginning today, existing owners can give free, unlimited Supercharging to up to five friends by sharing their referral code, and all existing Tesla owners who purchase a new Model S or Model X will receive free, unlimited Supercharging too.

I checked My Tesla page last night and it still said 400 kwh free. I took delivery on 28 March so that was in the first quarter.

This morning it had this to say.

Supercharging

You have free, unlimited Supercharging, including your current Tesla and any new Model S or Model X you purchase. If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will not transfer to the next owner. Also, up to five friends you refer will also receive free Supercharging. Any Supercharging payments made have been automatically refunded. Read our Supercharging terms.

Lots of happy people today I see.

We ordered 12/31/16 with delivery 3/17/17 (so have had free unlimited supercharging on the vehicle since then) and our email today from Troy Jones talked about giving the referral code to 5 friends for "free, unlimited Supercharging, along with $1,000 in credit toward a new Model S or Model X." Talked about the app and loot box and then the referral thank you gifts.

We're going to the Weekend Social at our nearby Tesla tomorrow and assume they will mention it to people there. It was nice to see so many Telsas on the road today BTW. Day started off in our small town with us pulling up next to a new (no plates yet) blue P90D MS at a light. Looked over, gave the thumbs up and smile, which was returned. And making a left turn in front of both of us at the light was a red MS. That was pretty amazing. We also drove past a house in our general neighborhood and they had their white MS in the drive way with I think their red MS and today we noticed a black MS behind them. We had to be in Sunnyvale for the day and saw at least 6 Teslas there while out driving and that's not counting the 5-6 MS and MXs we saw in the parking lot that Gabeincal had mentioned a little while back in another thread (guess the guys were working this weekend). It's really something to see so many of Teslas in one day and can't help but think this supercharging promo with referral credit will get a lot more on the road.

Last edited:
Supercharging
You have free, unlimited Supercharging, including your current Tesla and any new Model S or Model X you purchase. If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will transfer to the next owner. In addition, up to five friends you refer will also receive free Supercharging. Read our Supercharging terms.

I think you missed a key word. Supercharging will NOT transfer to the next owner, UNLESS you bought your car before Jan 15.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Not to siderail the conversation, but for now the CPO program is too good not to use. I would like to get AP2, but I will probably wait for those to show up in the CPO market too. For now my AP1 is great for what I need. I do wish I had held out for the P85D though.