Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Tesla Mobile @ home door handle replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had my first experiences with Tesla remote service.

To start, 2015 85D with 52k miles... fresh out of factory warranty and of course my passenger door handle failed to present. I had Tesla come out today to repair it and I was expecting a 1000$ bill but the technician replaced the entire handle and handle assembly, packed up and left. He mentioned nothing about an invoice.

Is this typical?

So my door handle is broken as well (rear driver's side...don't presenting or responding to pressure once pulled). My SC just quoted me at $600 for repair and $100 for Mobile Service visit (I'm 2 hours one-way from the nearest SC). Seems on the cheap side from what I've read from the multiple threads around here.

In theory, I'd like to buy the parts (paddle gear and microswitch probably) and DIY it very slowly and carefully, but this is an incredibly busy time of year for me with lots of travel and a family road trip coming up in March/April. Perhaps this price, if it's as low as I think, is worth it?

I'm thinking I'll ask the Technician for the old door handle assembly so I can practice a few times and then be ready to DIY if (who am I kidding...) WHEN the next handle breaks.

Reactions: MP3Mike