Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free trial offer for autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed that autopilot drains the battery a lot. I went on a small road test last night with it. 25 miles round trip with it. My battery mileage prediction went from 133 down to 80 when I got home. That's more than I like and makes me think it's no good for long trips. Might keep me from getting it.

This is incorrect. In fact you would see quite a few anecdotes telling the opposite. That AP marginally helps range, only because you tend not to keep switching lanes randomly and drive aggressively.

My personal experience in over 13k miles : I am tad more efficient with AP for the same reasons I described above although it is neglible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ciaopec
There is nothing with autopilot that could consume that much extra power. If anything it will reduce your consumption because it drives smoother than you can.

Your assumptions are incorrect. You're basing this off of what? I doubt you know how I drive and what type of driver I am. In fact, autopilot so far swirves more than me in lane, jerks mid turns when mine are smooth and when it comes to acceleration and braking it is sudden and jerky. Nothing close to being smooth. On autopilot it performed much harder braking and acceleration than I do.

Now it's pretty good considering what it's capable of, and probably better than your average driver. Maybe even you :p. But the consumption during my drives today were all higher than my normal driving. I averaged 350 during good portions and 415 for the bad stop and go with people cutting in and out. I changed nothing when comparing it to my driving when it comes to passengers, temp, fan and the other things I run while driving.

This is incorrect. In fact you would see quite a few anecdotes telling the opposite. That AP marginally helps range, only because you tend not to keep switching lanes randomly and drive aggressively.

My personal experience in over 13k miles : I am tad more efficient with AP for the same reasons I described above although it is neglible.

Well unless the estimation from the car was wrong I'd say that part was correct. If not then what do you think accounts for that change in charge?

View attachment 196959 For those that want to check if a free trial is available to them, found it under Settings-Driver Assistance
It's weird. I finally got the trial offer on my X. It showed up a couple mornings ago as a pop up in the console. It had a skip and a start trial button. But the start trial one was disabled. So I skipped it. I still see it I he settings. But the button is still disabled.

So I can't select it. I'm still on 7.1. Perhaps it's waiting until 8.0 is downloaded to my car before allowing me to select it?

@Pandamoanium The reason I suggested using the same route with TACC only and steer the X yourself, is because Auto Pilot merely adds Lane Keeping to TACC. TACC controls the acceleration and braking in traffic, not Auto Pilot.

I got some interesting results today. Ever since I activated the autopilot trial, my energy consumption readings overall have been different. Apparently now I average around 280Wh/mi (5/15/30) when self driving; 300Wh/mi (5/15/30) with TACC only and 320Wh/mi (5/15/30) with full autopilot.

I did noticed the energy consumption go up in the areas of construction. I'm really starting to wonder what's is making it so different but the strange thing is that prior to the trial, it would say my driving was around 310-320 average and now it's always below 290-300. Keep in mind the other factors haven't been changed such as climate and weight.

View attachment 196959 For those that want to check if a free trial is available to them, found it under Settings-Driver Assistance
I've finally have some time to try out these features on my 2-yr old vehicle, but the free trial button is no longer available. Any ideas? I guess I'll just call Tesla and ask if they can push it out. I'm certainly not driving 250 mi out of my way to the Seattle SC just to have it installed.

I've finally have some time to try out these features on my 2-yr old vehicle, but the free trial button is no longer available. Any ideas? I guess I'll just call Tesla and ask if they can push it out. I'm certainly not driving 250 mi out of my way to the Seattle SC just to have it installed.
Ok I called and the free trial is no longer available, at least for me.

The auto presenting doors are part of the Premium Upgrade Package (PUP), which I would imagine would be on Demo's. The Summon requires Auto Pilot enabled, but is (as I understand) somewhat limited on the Second Gen Autopilot with more coming. Summon is currently limited on Auto Pilot 1 vehicles to 39 feet in a straight line. Apparently, that is the limit of AP1 cars, and no upgrades are announced.

I'm pretty efficient and gentle moving driver, I find that elegant and safe. For my taste AP is too jumpy and wastes tons of energy in sudden movements. I'm hoping one day they could have different driver profiles where I could tell it to chill up :-/

The auto presenting doors are part of the Premium Upgrade Package (PUP), which I would imagine would be on Demo's. The Summon requires Auto Pilot enabled, but is (as I understand) somewhat limited on the Second Gen Autopilot with more coming. Summon is currently limited on Auto Pilot 1 vehicles to 39 feet in a straight line. Apparently, that is the limit of AP1 cars, and no upgrades are announced.

Summon works the same on AP2 cars right now. It will activate the garage and back out in a straight line...with moderate turns to avoid obstacles, but no curved driveways, etc.

Curved drives and more is part of Smart Summon, part of EAP, and hopefully coming this Sep with V9. I don’t think Smart Summon will be part of the Autopilot trial but I would guess not. But only a guess.

I'm pretty efficient and gentle moving driver, I find that elegant and safe. For my taste AP is too jumpy and wastes tons of energy in sudden movements. I'm hoping one day they could have different driver profiles where I could tell it to chill up :-/
The "Chill" setting was added on 2017-50. Using it causes the X to accelerate moderately, whether driving or Autopilot (lane change). This was even true on my P90D. It was a little too Chill for me, but the option is there, if you want to mellow out some.

Reactions: _jmk