Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free trial offer for autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw a pop up exactly three months of receiving my MX90D. It's for 30 days and you have an option of cancel or start the free trial. I was excited to hit start but it was greyed out, wondering if it is waiting for the 8.0 version. Did anyone get a similar message? I knew that Tesla was offering it but didn't know when.

• Informative
Reactions: mikes_fsd
I saw it too. I was reversing out of my garage and I stopped and tried to select the greyed out button, but then it disappeared. Hope it reappears. This happened yesterday. I took a pic. (Didn't try, nor did I think about, putting the car in park).

Attachments

• IMG_3831.JPG
    IMG_3831.JPG
    375.1 KB · Views: 152
  • Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
I've noticed that autopilot drains the battery a lot. I went on a small road test last night with it. 25 miles round trip with it. My battery mileage prediction went from 133 down to 80 when I got home. That's more than I like and makes me think it's no good for long trips. Might keep me from getting it.

I've noticed that autopilot drains the battery a lot. I went on a small road test last night with it. 25 miles round trip with it. My battery mileage prediction went from 133 down to 80 when I got home. That's more than I like and makes me think it's no good for long trips. Might keep me from getting it.
That had nothing to do with Autopilot.

Reactions: EVCarGUy
I have driven 100's of miles with continuous "auto pilot" (cruise and lane keeping). With a constant speed by using cruise control portion of auto pilot my "watts/mile" hit the lowest on the trips. In my X with 22" tires, It hit low 310's and even at one point hit below 300, which if amazing in an X with 22's. Autopilot is merely lane keeping with TACC. I have found it drives better on Interstates in low to moderate traffic than I.

Not sure @PandAmonium why you experienced a difference. But autopilot, is nothing more than "lane keeping". You may want to do the same trip again with TACC only, which would cause the X to drive differently than you may on a given route -- yielding different regen or a different speed profile.

Reactions: Ciaopec
I have driven 100's of miles with continuous "auto pilot" (cruise and lane keeping). With a constant speed by using cruise control portion of auto pilot my "watts/mile" hit the lowest on the trips. In my X with 22" tires, It hit low 310's and even at one point hit below 300, which if amazing in an X with 22's. Autopilot is merely lane keeping with TACC. I have found it drives better on Interstates in low to moderate traffic than I.

Not sure @PandAmonium why you experienced a difference. But autopilot, is nothing more than "lane keeping". You may want to do the same trip again with TACC only, which would cause the X to drive differently than you may on a given route -- yielding different regen or a different speed profile.

Makes me think then it is how the autopilot system is reacting. The same drive over all, but I think it may be due to how it reacts to cars going in and out of the lane in front of me. It felt like it was swerving a lot and hugging the line almost the whole way. Either way I will try it again soon, though the energy consumption for sure based on the info in the car told me higher energy consumption when we were testing it.

Makes me think then it is how the autopilot system is reacting. The same drive over all, but I think it may be due to how it reacts to cars going in and out of the lane in front of me. It felt like it was swerving a lot and hugging the line almost the whole way. Either way I will try it again soon, though the energy consumption for sure based on the info in the car told me higher energy consumption when we were testing it.

Make sure the setting for the "Steering" is either Standard or Comfort and NOT Sport. In Autopilot mode I have found the X corrects steering a lot more (sensitive) in the Sport Mode. I would recommend Sport for those times you wish to drive without Lane Keeping function in Autopilot. Also, if you are testing an S instead of an X then the Watts/mile will differ do to the added weight and higher profile of the X.

Your reply suggest there was considerable traffic, speed and lane adjustments going on. I sounds like not a great fit for Auto Pilot overall. In my case, I prefer to drive is circumstances similar to what I believe you are describing. It is not so much for the range or watts/mile, but we all make intuitive adjustment to driving in anticipation to those conditions.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I agree.

I have it in standard. The traffic was night time Colorado which is relatively empty, just small changes here and there with the cars going in and out of the lane. I even stayed in the right most lane and kept the speed between 65-70mph limited.

My normal driving is left lane 75+ mph and adjust for incoming cars as well. There were two areas of construction, so maybe the system was working harder to detect or know there were cones and other barriers in the road. I don't mind if it uses more energy and even makes sense to me, but the difference in mileage was a bit surprising.