Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free trial period ending- how do features update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all.
I bought a Model 3 under weird conditions. I had a 12 day trip planned at the end of June. The day before I left, I freed up some time and contacted a salesman I had met at a dealer and told him: "If we can get me a car by the end of the day today, at the $35K price, I will buy one. If I can't capture the tax credit before the June 30th stepdown, then I will wait till September or October when I have a garage built for it." The salesman rose to the challenge and I drove home a new M3 at the end of the evening- surrounded by an incredible lightning storm, Nikola Tesla's nod of approval. I asked the salesman if my wife and I could come get a tour of the car's features a month or so after the sale, when we are both around; they said yes.

When I asked at the dealer about the price structure on an earlier visit, I was told that Tesla found most people buying AutoPilot and wanting extra range, so they threw that in and upped the price. Then, on this forum I asked how the long-promised $35K price may be attained, and someone said it was "off-menu" but available for the asking. They sell you a SR+ and then back those features out to make it an SR. The salesman found me a SR+ M3, and said they would do that. BUT, the car would come with AutoPilot and 20 additional miles of range as a free trial, and then those features would be dialed back OTA after two weeks. I bought the car and drove it home and parked it in a neighbor's garage for two weeks. I asked the salesman if the free trial could be extended so I could actually try it, and he said nope.

When I came back, I drove it a few days, noticing that I still had the additional features beyond the 2 week trial period. A few days later the screen asked me to connect to wifi. But I can't get the car close enough to my house to get the wifi signal, so I haven't done this yet. I see that I always have the LTE connection when I'm driving around. Yesterday the car still had the autosteer function. (The car is for my wife to drive, and I haven't taken the time yet to learn much about it and all the features/packages not sure if AutoSteer is part of the free trial or not.) We have now had the car for 23 days. My questions:

*Will the additional features disappear if/when I connect to my home wifi? (I thought that would happen through the LTE connection.)

*If I went to the dealer to get that tour of all the features or to ask more questions, would the update happen there at the dealer, stripping us of the bonus features?

*How long do you think I can go on my free trial period? Weeks? Years? It could be the salesman forgot to make the change, put it in the notes, or whatever. He was not great, and made a few other mistakes in the transaction, so it seems possible. I recognize it is not the most morally hygienic position to be in, but 1) we still haven't driven the car much and I want my wife to make a thorough assessment of whether the extra features are worth it for her commute, and 2) part of it is, for me, recompense for a few bogus moves the salesman pulled regarding my trade-in that ended up working out in the dealer's favor.

Thoughts?